Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:07 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times

Advertisements

When is it right to question a friends decision about the person she is marrying vs. best to just be there for her without question? Is there a certain age, after that one shouldn't doubt/question?

So I have a friend who told me 2 weeks ago that she met someone and thinking of having small wedding end of this summer. I visited her back in November & this guy was not in picture. She confirmed she only met him in Dec, but they hang out everyday & she really likes him. She is 31 and has been ready to settle down since 25. She gets attached to guy very easily, the last 2 guys left her heart broken. She is very intelligent, finishing up her residency this year & full fledge MD, but when it comes to guys I don't think she is that smart.

My initial reaction was to ask "is this the right guy?". "don't you think you are moving too fast"..etc without trying to be confrontational. Then I congratulated her & went on to talking about wedding planning all while I wanted to tell her "you are making a mistake, calm down". Now that I had time to think about it & I am meeting her this weekend, I don't know if I should keep my doubts to myself. After all she is highly educated, mature girl who can make best decision for herself. OR should I be the negative person that is questioning her decision & gives her bad vibe.

At this stage in life, are we best just being there for each other regardless of the decision we make or do you never lose the right to question a friends judgment because that's what friends are for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:17 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
If you are a true and close friend, I am sure you can ask her frank questions and offer thoughtful advice. But respect her answers and wishes.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I wish my friends would have told me their real thoughts before I married.

However, you probably won't change her mind. But I would talk to her if I was you. That's what friends are for - brutal honesty.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
It sounds like you aren't basing your opinion on the guy being wrong for her, only on the amt of time they've been together. When you know, you know. I don't think you have enough to go on to criticize her decision.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:30 AM

953 posts, read 843,237 times
I understand the fine line between offering candid advice because you care about her (and since her track record with men has been less than stellar), and not wanting to be overly intrusive. If you have a candid discussion, I believe you can get all your points across without having her feel like she lacks the intelligence and judgment to act independently.

Just because you highlight some valid issues hardly makes you a negative friend who is out to sabotage her plans and fill her mind with endless doubt. If you are discreet and sensitive, she most likely will appreciate your concern.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:43 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Be honest and tell her what you think, then listen to what she says and don't argue. If she has any doubts you may confirm them.

My husband pretty much moved in with me about 2 weeks after we met. I know my friends thought I had lost my mind, but we've been together 20 years and married for 18. Sometimes it just works out like that.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:50 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
If you are a true and close friend, I am sure you can ask her frank questions and offer thoughtful advice. But respect her answers and wishes.
I agree.

Another thing that you can try is to suggest the advantages of a longer engagement. If your friend had always talked about a large wedding or a dream wedding perhaps you can suggest that instead of having a small wedding in September she could wait and save up and have the wedding in September 2017. She could invite all of her friends, all of the groom's friends and all of relatives on both sides instead of just a handful of people.

If it is real love the wedding will wait. If it is not real love than she will know more with an additional year of dating.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-20-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Give her the book

10 Stupid Things Women Do To Mess Up Their Lives

Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Her maturity is the issue here really. You don't know enough about the guy, and given that I know multiple happy and successful marriages that are the result of people deciding they are right for each other immediately (which I find mind-boggling), you can't really use either of those reasons as a solid argument.

But how do you tell a friend "you're immature and needy" in a polite way? I dunno.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It sounds like you aren't basing your opinion on the guy being wrong for her, only on the amt of time they've been together. When you know, you know. I don't think you have enough to go on to criticize her decision.
I don't either.

I did voice my concerns when a friend married on what seemed like a very quick rebound after her divorce.
He was also fairly recently divorced, and she didn't appear to want to delve too closely into what caused his first marriage to break down. But I only brought it up because she was waffling over the decision.

They did marry, but it hasn't been without some bumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships