Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:03 PM

161 posts, read 390,288 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

A very good friend of mine got upset at me last weekend for texting her short, one word responses when I was spending time with my girlfriend. She didn't know I was with anyone and texted "your answers are weirding me out' so I texted back saying "I'm sorry, it's just that I'm with my girlfriend now and didn't want to be rude".. she responded with "so you are being rude to me instead?" and was actually really upset and offended. I"m really shocked because I guess I just always assumed that if you are with someone in person that they deserve your time and attention more than someone on text. Do y'all agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 12:08 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Yes I agree that you should focus on the person you are with. It's one thing to quickly reply to a "When will u come over tonite" text with "8:00" and be done with it, but it's quite another to exclude your in-person friend to chat with someone else. Once you realized that your texting friend wanted to have a conversation, I would have texted "sorry can't talk. with someone else. will text later" and then not made any more responses after that, for the duration of your time with your in-person friend. If this would make the texting friend angry, that's on her, not you.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilove View Post
Hey all,

A very good friend of mine got upset at me last weekend for texting her short, one word responses when I was spending time with my girlfriend. She didn't know I was with anyone and texted "your answers are weirding me out' so I texted back saying "I'm sorry, it's just that I'm with my girlfriend now and didn't want to be rude".. she responded with "so you are being rude to me instead?" and was actually really upset and offended. I"m really shocked because I guess I just always assumed that if you are with someone in person that they deserve your time and attention more than someone on text. Do y'all agree?
Ever think about just making a phone call? Amazing how people don't communicate directly anymore.

Anyway, why not just text in the beginnning "can't talk right now, am hanging out with my girlfriend". Instead of all this back and forth nonsense. Instead you go back and forth with one word responses.

I really think texting(and especially with younger people) has made some people lose the ability to communicate clearly.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:38 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Hey all,

A very good friend of mine got upset at me last weekend for texting her short, one word responses when I was spending time with my girlfriend. She didn't know I was with anyone and texted "your answers are weirding me out' so I texted back saying "I'm sorry, it's just that I'm with my girlfriend now and didn't want to be rude"
So why wait until she got weirded out before you told her you were with your girlfriend?
Makes no sense - and seems a bit cruel - to string her along like that....

Old 05-20-2016, 01:08 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Does anyone ever just put their phone down and walk away from it? When someone relentlessly does this just don't answer until later when you have time to do it. No explanation is owed other than you couldn't answer your phone at the time. Non of her business what you were doing. It isn't rude to not answer a call or text right away. Or is this someone trying to get in the middle of your relationship?

Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Hey all,

So if you didn't want to be rude, don't look at your texts. It can wait until later.

Just because I have a phone with texting capabilities, I am not at everyone else's beck and call. It may take me hours to look at a text after receiving it. If it's something truly important, they should call.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:31 PM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Ever think about just making a phone call? Amazing how people don't communicate directly anymore.

Anyway, why not just text in the beginnning "can't talk right now, am hanging out with my girlfriend". Instead of all this back and forth nonsense. Instead you go back and forth with one word responses.

I really think texting(and especially with younger people) has made some people lose the ability to communicate clearly.
YES YES!

Did you (OP) know you can create canned text messages to send so you don't have to type it out each time? So you could create one that says, "I'm not available to txt right now but I promise I will get back to you later..." Simple, straightforward, not a 1-word answer, and you don't have to spend cycles going back 'n forth on texts.

People have created them to say:

"I'm on my way"
"I'm driving, will get back to you later"
"I'm running a few minutes late"
"I'm in a meeting, can't talk or text."

Imagine that...using technology to actually make your life easier AND communicate effectively so the other person knows what's up. And if they get pissed off, too darn bad!

Old 05-20-2016, 02:58 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
You really had two options here:

1.) Don't look at your texts at all.

2.) Respond to the first one with 'I'm with my girlfriend, I'll talk later.'

It was really that simple.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Texting is for emotional ten-year-olds. Seriously.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:39 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
I"m really shocked because I guess I just always assumed that if you are with someone in person that they deserve your time and attention more than someone on text.
If you really and truly believed that, you would not have been texting at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships