Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it easier for girls/women to make friends than boys/men?
Yes, it is 31 39.74%
No, it's equally hard/easy 23 29.49%
No, it's harder 24 30.77%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

This was something I believed in high school. I mean, it seems especially when two girls meet they can get talking and become instant buddies, whereas with two guys there can be an awkwardness about it.

Or maybe it was just me.

Also, I noticed most of the loners in high school were male. Even the really awkward females at least seemed to have friends.

Of course male friends are a different matter. A lot of guys approach girls to try them out but end up just being friends.

Of course it depends on the person as well, but does it seem that it's easier for girls to make friends in general? Maybe because they're supposedly more wired for relationships/emotions and men are more wired for doing things.

Course it's a whole different matter than KEEPING friends. Even if they do make friends easier, it seems that friendships between women generally have more drama, although it can be the same for men. I think having good friendships with people of both sexes is preferable, just to give you a more balanced outlook on life. True friendship I think transcends them both. I kind of wished I had more female friends in high school - heck friends at all - it might've made me more used to relating to them. My closest friends are male but it seems most of my 'casual' friends I hang out with now and again are female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
I think so. I think It's hard for a straight man to ask another man to go for a drink. It's like asking for a date, But it's not going to be a date. Unless some business is involved, Then that's an easy ice breaker.

I find making new friends in adulthood, And I mean REAL friends not hangout buddies is not an easy task. Someone said somewhere your real friends are the ones you played in the sandbox with. I partially agree as my friends in my life I know 10+ years. One I know over 30 years!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM

867 posts, read 1,587,757 times
I thinks it's easier for girls/women to make friends than for guys to make friends. This could be because as women we are taught how to make friends from the very beginning. It seems that boys are taught to compete and to hide their feelings. I don't agree with doing this to boys and girls, but it's the way our culture is. I know as a female I was always told to "get along"; "be nice"; "help others" while my brothers were taught to hide their feelings and be strong. To be honest, I don't think any of the kids in my family succeeded in these areas but we were told how to act by our parents, books, tv, movies.

I can befriend almost anyone, talk to anyone, but I don't get that "deep" emotional connection with many people. That's just me. I feel different from other women in that way.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,430 times
No.
I know a lot of women that have problems finding true friendships with other women....the words "catty" and "drama" tend to be used....a lot.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I think that women who have young children find it easier to make friends as they bond when their children form friendships. Otherwise, I don't think it is particularly easy for older women to make friends.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,319 times
I noticed the opposite. Men can become friends instantly over something as simple as liking McDonalds or.. baseball. Ha. They don't have as many emotions and dramatic thoughts clouding their mind that would make them judge the guy enough to step back and not want to be friends.

As for girls, we tend to judge, like crazy. I mean, for goodness sake, girls that are "best friends" sit around and talk crap about each other often enough to make that obvious. They may still choose to be friends whether they're oblivious to each others snooty behavior or not, but just that women simply do that stuff, makes it that harder for them to really open up and be friends with other females. At least, it's harder at the rate it is for men. Another way to say it is that, we're often more conscientious of who we spend our time with. Yet, women also feel the strong need to be needed and desired, and will befriend others if it feeds on those needs they have.

But men? They don't give a flying sh**. Their brains are way more relaxed.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,625 times
I have two girl friends; quality over quantity. Yes, we've had disagreements because we say what's on our minds, get it over with, and move on. I am lucky to have found E and A.

My drinking and workout (not at the same time) buddies are guys.

I love all of them equally because everyone brings something unique to the table. What bonds us is our love of keeping it real

Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
I have always made friends with men easier than women but I really don't like the way a lot of women act and treat others and then throw in the whole gossip, jealously, your after my man BS and I like them even less. I'll stick to men as friends until I find that rare woman who I trust and am proud to call a true friend.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,684 times
Guys seem to be able to bond over Sports, almost instantaneously. I have a hard time, because I'm a young woman, but Im not into Girly stuff or going Clubbing. Its hard to meet other young women who would rather drink some wine and debate random topics, than go to the club ESPECIALLY in Las Vegas. Ive always had trouble with this situation, I cant wait until I get enough experience at my job, so that I can move to Seattle, Minneapolis or D.C.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
I don't think so. Female friendships are really about "fit" more than anything else. Do you ever notice how in many ways, like attracts like?

As a kid I was mostly friends with Tomboys and Boys (my first bff was a boy, my pre-school friend, We bonded over legos or something). By middle school I was friends with sort of "weird girls" and boys. In high school I was friends with "smart girls" and way less guys. By colllege, my friends were a mishmash of the smart girls and the weird girls. And some guys, ones either into sports or nerdy. Somehow during or after college almost all of the guys fell off the face of the earth, and I don't have many guy friends anymore after a lifetime of having even ratios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships