Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,790 times

Advertisements

Hi

I didn't really know where to post this but I was looking for some advice.

I have lived in my property for 5 years and at the end of our garden we have a rather tall tree, we have 6 ft fences and a tree that is around 13ft tall.

I have a neighbour who lives at the back of me who has been hassling me to cut this tree down ever since I moved in. She maybe leaves it 6 months before bugging me about it again.

The issue she has is that the tree blocks out the morning sun from her garden but she gets it in the afternoon and evenings. Around 5 months ago she wrote me a letter about the issues she has with this tree (yawn), the letter was not very pleasant and I pretty much ignored it as I am not having her sending me letters that contain swear words.

I had someone in to give me a quote as to what it would cost to cut this tree down a while ago and the quote was $900!!!!!! I was not paying that especially as the tree doesn't bother me.

Today was a very sunny day here so I sat in my garden in the morning. She came out and she starts asking me questions about this tree and making snide comments about how she wishes she could see the sun and other snide little comments over the fence...... I snapped and told her that if she wants the tree gone then she should pay for it! she outright refuses to pay to have the tree gone and thinks I should be the one too.

I am so sick of her and hearing about this damn tree, everytime I try to have a bit of quiet time in my yard she comes out and basically harasses me about it! I'm not attached to the tree if it needs to go then it needs to go but I refuse to pay for it, I didn't even plant it! it was here when I moved in!

Please could anyone help me on what to do or some advice before I just set the darn tree on fire or worse go insane!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 05:22 PM

91 posts, read 109,785 times
good for you its not bothering her enough to pay for the removal. tell her you do not want to hear about the tree anymore, unless shes willing to write the check and if she continues to harass you. call the police.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
You mention a tall tree and a 13 foot tree?

$900 to cut a 13 foot tree?

Old 04-13-2016, 05:34 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Say calmly "I'm sorry my tree bothers you, but I have no intention of removing it". Ignore her if she brings it up again. It's your tree on your property and her opinion means nothing. Some people seem to forget it's not all about them.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
If the tree is near the very edge of your property could you offer to sell her the two feet of land that the tree is on for some outrageous amount, perhaps $10,000 so that she can cut down the tree. OR she can pay the $900 to have the tree removed. Of course, only if you really do not care about the tree one way or the other.

Either "put up or shut up" tell her that she can choose one of those options within the next 30 days or forever stay quiet about the tree.

BTW, in some communities you need permission from the city forestry department or the state Department of Natural Recourses or someplace else to cut down trees (yes, even trees on your own land).

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-13-2016 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You mention a tall tree and a 13 foot tree?

$900 to cut a 13 foot tree?
A 13ft tree is rather tall to me.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
I'd be tempted to get a restraining order, especially if the letter was as nasty as you imply.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
If I weren't afraid she'd go full-psycho on me I'd be half tempted to inform her that if she harassed me one more time, I was calling the police and that I had witnesses as well as the original inflammatory letter in my possession.

There's a tree in YOUR yard that is not bothering YOU and is not causing a problem (such as power lines or anything) and she wants YOU to pay $900 to get it removed...so her garden can have the hours of sunshine she prefers?

I truly think not.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:56 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Be careful that she takes you up on your offer to let her pay to have the tree cut down. By that, I mean she may try to save money by paying someone to cut the tree down ... and that's it. You'll be left with a yard full of debris.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:12 PM

454 posts, read 311,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If I weren't afraid she'd go full-psycho on me I'd be half tempted to inform her that if she harassed me one more time, I was calling the police and that I had witnesses as well as the original inflammatory letter in my possession.

There's a tree in YOUR yard that is not bothering YOU and is not causing a problem (such as power lines or anything) and she wants YOU to pay $900 to get it removed...so her garden can have the hours of sunshine she prefers?

I truly think not.
This! It's YOUR yard and you can have the tree if you damn well please! Everyone on our street has something that blocks the sun from the next house at one time or another. She's nuts and if she does it again I'd call the cops.

IMO, a tree that tall shouldn't be more than $250-$500 to take out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships