Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 AM

4,257 posts, read 4,783,077 times

Advertisements

Just came back from a close friend's 40th. I swear she had 38 "best friends" who attended lol

Initially she was going on a trip but wanted to ensure she could spend time with friends so she decided to have a gathering at her house instead.

I don't have a circle of friends that big at all. The older I get the smaller it gets especially now that I've moved away from everyone. I was thinking perhaps a trip somewhere (I love to travel) but I don't think many people would go as trips cost money and naturally there will be other people friends know mutually who are also all turning 40 all in the same year.

I do the "dinner out" thing most years so won't be interested in that likely. I have 2 years to plan for this so I was thinking if I do anything travel related I need to start thinking about that soon in case it costs a lot even if I do end up going alone...?

Did anyone else feel any kind of "pressure" to do something big on that day? What about the year or two before your 40th? Did you start to feel anxious at all? I've been reflecting a LOT lately, almost to the point of feeling anxious like I won't feel I've accomplished much by the time I get to 40. My friend who had the party finished a second Masters last year, got promoted earlier this year, met someone last fall and married them (2nd marriage) 4 weeks before her 40th. That's a lot to feel good/accomplished about!

Maybe what I'm really looking for is advice on how to feel okay with it so I don't feel as if I've got to do something "grand" to validate I've done well by that age. Overall I think I'm 'ok' with my life (nothing really to complain about) but at the same time I don't know that I feel too 'accomplished' or that when I turn 40 I'll be able to say my 20 year old self expected my life to be the way it is now.

I feel like I'm having a mini crisis lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 10:44 AM

22,701 posts, read 47,914,975 times
My husband threw a 'surprise' party at our home; friends and family attended.
It was a good excuse to gather people together and have a good time.

I did the same for him two years prior.

That I was turning 40 was not even on my radar two years prior to my birthday. So I was not feeling pressure, or considering it a mini-crisis at all.

IDK... if you want to travel, why wait 2 years to do so? Travel now!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:46 AM

2,506 posts, read 1,888,819 times
I was supposed to have a party, but the night before my father had a heart attack and wasn't expected to live. Luckily, he lived through it but I never did have that party.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My husband threw a 'surprise' party at our home; friends and family attended.
It was a good excuse to gather people together and have a good time.

I did the same for him two years prior.

That I was turning 40 was not even on my radar two years prior to my birthday. So I was not feeling pressure, or considering it a mini-crisis at all.

IDK... if you want to travel, why wait 2 years to do so? Travel now!
Hmm...maybe that's what I'm feeling somewhat anxious about. I live away so no one's going to throw me a party. Plus I'm single. I don't really have much family or friends so a party doesn't seem in the cards simply because there wouldn't be many people to gather...

I do already travel now...I was just thinking that would probably be what I do to celebrate I guess. My birthday is in February between Superbowl and Valentine's so it's an expensive time of year to go anywhere. Plus it's cold in many places. But that wouldn't stop 'me' from going someplace.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,492,122 times
My goodness! Do people actually remember what they did on their 40th birthdays?
I couldn't tell you what I did on any of mine.

Anniversaries (marriage) are different. Those I remember. (Insert lovey-dovey heart here.)

Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I was supposed to have a party, but the night before my father had a heart attack and wasn't expected to live. Luckily, he lived through it but I never did have that party.
I'm sorry to hear that happened

Old 10-07-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
My goodness! Do people actually remember what they did on their 40th birthdays?
I couldn't tell you what I did on any of mine.

Anniversaries (marriage) are different. Those I remember. (Insert lovey-dovey heart here.)

Shalom,

Mahrie.
If they are memorable I'm sure they remember them...

Old 10-07-2016, 10:57 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,700,784 times
My husband turned 40 this year. I drove him to Portland (3 hour drive) and bought him a milkshake.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:57 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
Well, we were gonna do a big family trip to the BVIs to my favorite spot.
But that's 3 planes and a boat.
With a 2 year old.

So me, my wife, 2 kids, my parents, my brother, and my brother's gf went to Barcelo Maya Palace in Mexico. South of Cancun for a week. 2.5 hr flight.
We took a limo to and from the airport.

It was a great time.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:00 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,273,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Just came back from a close friend's 40th. I swear she had 38 "best friends" who attended lol

Initially she was going on a trip but wanted to ensure she could spend time with friends so she decided to have a gathering at her house instead.

I don't have a circle of friends that big at all. The older I get the smaller it gets especially now that I've moved away from everyone. I was thinking perhaps a trip somewhere (I love to travel) but I don't think many people would go as trips cost money and naturally there will be other people friends know mutually who are also all turning 40 all in the same year.

I do the "dinner out" thing most years so won't be interested in that likely. I have 2 years to plan for this so I was thinking if I do anything travel related I need to start thinking about that soon in case it costs a lot even if I do end up going alone...?

Did anyone else feel any kind of "pressure" to do something big on that day? What about the year or two before your 40th? Did you start to feel anxious at all? I've been reflecting a LOT lately, almost to the point of feeling anxious like I won't feel I've accomplished much by the time I get to 40. My friend who had the party finished a second Masters last year, got promoted earlier this year, met someone last fall and married them (2nd marriage) 4 weeks before her 40th. That's a lot to feel good/accomplished about!

Maybe what I'm really looking for is advice on how to feel okay with it so I don't feel as if I've got to do something "grand" to validate I've done well by that age. Overall I think I'm 'ok' with my life (nothing really to complain about) but at the same time I don't know that I feel too 'accomplished' or that when I turn 40 I'll be able to say my 20 year old self expected my life to be the way it is now.

I feel like I'm having a mini crisis lol.

I was ok with turning 40 and really didn't want a fuss made about it. Hubby and I went to The Four Seasons and saw a show on Broadway (that was all I wanted) but he ended up throwing a small get together at our house. I told him I did not want a surprise party like he threw for me when I turned 30.

My accomplishments are mine to celebrate (is turning 40 really an accomplishment? lol). I don't think I need to throw myself a birthday party and invite a bunch of people to feel good about my accomplishments lol

No one can tell you how to feel okay with it. It's what you want or don't want. It's just a number. Accomplishments happen at different times for people. For some, a lot happens before they're 30. For some it happens after 45 or 50. Feel good about your life in general and celebrate that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships