Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:50 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,411,329 times

Advertisements

Had a delayed birthday dinner with my best friends and were stopping for ice cream after at this amazing little ice cream shop that I adored. My one friend hated it because it was "too fancy" but it was my birthday so... So my phone starts to ring as I go to open the door to the shop. I see it's my auntie. I say to my two best friends "I wonder why auntie is calling today?" and they both scream "Don't answer it!!"

My grandmother had had a stroke and my auntie was unable to locate the rest of the family and basically in hysterics. It was not a serious problem as grandma was out of the hospital the next day. She just tended to have strokes every once in a while. So I ended up driving to the hospital and spending the evening there with my extended family. No gourmet ice cream with my besties - just vending machine candy and my family freaking out around me.

It could have been way worse, but it was certainly the most dramatic birthday, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 03:38 AM

371 posts, read 1,213,974 times
The worst one was my 23rd birthday. I had moved across the country for my first "real" professional job just 2 weeks earlier, so I knew no one within 1,000 miles. I had only met work people at this point and had casually mentioned my birthday and how I was sad I didn't even have family around to celebrate. I was hoping someone would offer to do something, but no one did. It was really hard being that age and having gone from the crazy active social life of college and having family nearby to being in a place with 0 friends or family, and it being my birthday amplified that. I knew my parents had at least sent a package, so I thought I'd at least order some yummy food and open that. The package arrived over a week late, because I was living in the middle of nowhere and my parents hadn't realized how long the mail would take. Of course that was a small thing, but on the day of it seemed like a big deal that I didn't even have that.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,597,443 times
I think birthday celebrations should be mostly for children and teens only. Everyone is so conditioned and brainwashed to believe that their 'birth day' is somehow a special day - but when you think about it, it really is not anything special.

To me it seems childish to keep believing into adulthood that your 'birth day' is a special day.

Adults who make a big deal about their 'birth day' seem lacking in mature development. I know some others disagree.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-02-2017 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 11:53 AM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think birthday celebrations should be mostly for children and teens only. Everyone is so conditioned and brainwashed to believe that their 'birth day' is somehow a special day - but when you think about it, it really is not anything special.

To me it seems childish to keep believing into adulthood that your 'birth day' is a special day.

Adults who make a big deal about their 'birth day' seem lacking in mature development. I know some others disagree.
My birthday was Tuesday (hence the "801" in my sn). I got the usual Facebook wishes, which was nice, but a few people asked me what I was doing on my "special day". I said, "I am going to work (where no one knew it was my birthday) and then I am going to a public hearing for a major upcoming project as part of my job."

Didn't sound too exciting, did it, lol. I spent Sunday with my mother and my daughter. That was nice enough. There's nothing fabulous about turning 59 that warrants a big celebration.

Oh wait. I play the Cash Five Lotto for a week's worth of drawings at a time. When my age and my daughter's age changes, the numbers change, so I did have to stop and fill out a new card with "14" instead of "13" (5+9=14). That was very important.

And I had French toast for dinner, which is really not on my diet, but hey, it was my birthday.

Wild times.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:10 PM

121 posts, read 75,797 times
My 9th when I discovered I had nits

Old 08-19-2017, 11:05 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,391,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK1 View Post
My 6th birthday when no one showed up.
That happened with a party I gave for my sons.

Never done a party for them since.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:41 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,931,308 times
My worst birthday was last year. My hubby had just died and I was trying to get his cremation and non funeral arrangements made up and finished the day /night before so I did NOT have to make these arrangements on my birthday. I was up until almost 2AM filling out the paper work. so that did not quite happen. Then scanning it into the computer and sending it off. I got it done and tried very hard to have an ok day on my birthday but the house was trashed with so much laundry and other things to take care of. I could not rest with this mess staring me in the face. hopefully this year will be better. Even though I do not really celebrate I would prefer to at least have a happy day.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:07 PM

179 posts, read 305,063 times
Lots of sad stories in this thread! I hope everyone is doing well!

Anyway, most of my birthdays are low-key...On one hand, as I turned 18, it became a reminder that I really didn't have any friends and that's when my social anxiety spiked...most of college was like that. It's probably why I wanted to keep it low-key and maybe I was just embarrassed; however, my parents always celebrated for me usually with a nice dinner out..I have a small family so not everyone was always there, but I will always appreciate it.

Other than that, worst thing to happen recently was a few years ago - my wife and sister in law had a huge fight at the house about something else...didn't have anything to do with me but more along the lines of them not liking each other.

Here's an awkward story. When I was in middle school and high school, I always had at least one teacher that would give a student a piece of candy on their birthday and do a minute long shout-out. This went on til 12th grade. If theirs was on a saturday or sunday, it would be the friday before. For summer birthdays, there would be a shout-out in June, when the school year was ending...So what happens when you're birthday is in the first week of September when school starts? Nothing! During that time, there is too much administrative stuff to do during the first few days, so they don't do the candy shoutout until the week after. But my birthday technically already happened in that school year so I missed out on the June celebration that my summer peers had. The fact that it literally happened in every class/teacher that did this, made it that much more awkward. I knew even when I was younger the best thing to do is laugh it off and let it go, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me go "wtf lol" every once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships