Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 07:46 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times

Advertisements

OP - I agree with you. Adult children continuing to live at home, don't drive, don't work full time means a stitch or two is loose. My brother had a friend in high school like this. Attended college for years but never graduated. Always lived with his parents. Fast forward 40 years, his parents died and he had to move to a group home. He couldn't care for himself and completely fell apart.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 AM

854 posts, read 520,710 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with it if all are happy in the arrangement. Why do you consider them lesser adults? In many countries, it's the norm for 2-3 generations of family to live in the same home. But we have these ridiculous notions that you can't be a grownup until you move out. Also, living alone is expensive, which older generations do not understand. With that being said, I wouldn't do it. Me and my mom would probably be at one another's throats too much.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:01 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
If they're all happy, then you shouldn't let it concern you, but if it has affected their ability to be good company, then don't spend time with them anymore.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:02 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with it if all are happy in the arrangement. Why do you consider them lesser adults? In many countries, it's the norm for 2-3 generations of family to live in the same home. But we have these ridiculous notions that you can't be a grownup until you move out. Also, living alone is expensive, which older generations do not understand. With that being said, I wouldn't do it. Me and my mom would probably be at one another's throats too much.
Yep. I live in a small town. But it wasn't unheard of for people well into their 20s to live at at with parents.

1. My father didn't move out until he was 26, and that was when he got married.
2. One of his sisters lived with their mother until she (mother) passed away, and her own daughter is 27 and still living there w/ her.
3. Then his other 2 sisters lived right next door to the mother's house.
4. My friend moved out to go to school. But prior to that, she was 23-24 and still living at home
5. Then my maternal grandmother who lived with her mother into her 20s, but moved into a small house right next to her when she did move out.
etc.

It'd be one thing for someone in their 20s and up who live at home, aren't working, have no money, their parents are still taking care of them, and they do nothing around the house to help out.

But everyone who lives with parents are not like that. Moocher isn't the default setting. They are completely independent and can handle their own business. They just happen to still live in their childhood home. But no different than living with roommates.

Some are just living there long enough to get on their feet comfortably. Rather than rushing out, not making in, and coming right back in a few months. So some people stay until they can move out and not ever have to come back. Thus, they end up staying home much longer. While working and saving as much money as possible.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My opinion is that it's none of my business and I shouldn't speculate about where, how, and with whom other people want to live.
Times about a million - and that's on the low side.

Do your friends know how judgmental and critical you are about their lives?

Old 10-25-2016, 08:31 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
I am sure there are a lot of responses talking about how wrong it is for adults to live with their parents.

What people do is their own business, however. I know a 50 year old man who lives with his mother. That is their own choice, and it is none of my freaking business.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
I'd be happy to have a good relationship with my mother where I trusted her enough and we got along well enough to live together. It'd save me hella rent. Worrying about paying your own rent OP and let your subjects handle their own living arrangements.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browngeek94 View Post
What is your opinion on people like this?
That their parents have failed them miserably and will likely be taking care of these scrubs for the rest of their lives, because nobody is going to want to marry someone who is still completely dependent upon their parents at those ages.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That their parents have failed them miserably and will likely be taking care of these scrubs for the rest of their lives, because nobody is going to want to marry someone who is still completely dependent upon their parents at those ages.
Some people don't care that much if they get married. Their life might be easier if they remain single.

I am sure their parents will appreciate them when they get old and want someone around to help them, drive them places and be a caretaker to them.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Multi-generation families living in the same house isn't a new thing.

As long as everyone concerned is happy with the situation, I see nothing wrong with adult children living with their parents. In fact, it's good for the earth......one washing machine, one dryer, one stove, one refrigerator, one HVAC system instead of four of each. Lowers the carbon footprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships