Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:04 AM

45 posts, read 42,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
$100 a month!?! . You were lucky enough to only have to pay your parents $100 a month in rent after graduation. Where my daughter went to college one bedroom apartments ran from $600 to over $1,000 a month. And, in my son's first town after graduation his rent was something like $2,500 a month for a one bedroom apartment (Yes, a very high COL city). Add several hundred a month in utilities and you can see why some people would rather live at home.

But, it sounds like your friends have more problems than just living at home. Cheap, demanding, controlling people often have difficulty holding jobs and keeping roommates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Times about a million - and that's on the low side.

Do your friends know how judgmental and critical you are about their lives?

I was in early my 20's, finishing up college, and had a very low salary. Also my brother chipped in on expenses as well. I worked to gain a higher income and eventually moved out. Yes COL is getting higher and higher. I do agree with the second bolded part and would add keeping friendships to that list. However, it doesn't matter in their case since they meet new people all the time.

I'm actually shocked that the majority you think its normal. Learn something new everyday!! Since moving to another state I don't see these girls that often. So me and the mutual friend don't complain about them anymore. When my friend visited this past weekend she revealed that they all still live at home. I thought by now they would have moved out, hence my curiousness.

I made a comment about it once and they got offended. By the way, whats wrong with noticing a potential flaw they have? I still overall appreciate their friendship because of other redeeming qualities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,004,443 times
My cousin is 30 and lives at home with his mommy. He drives a Mercedes, and goes out every night. I must say. When we were growing up , he was the spoiled one....

Old 10-25-2016, 09:47 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,716,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with it if all are happy in the arrangement. Why do you consider them lesser adults? In many countries, it's the norm for 2-3 generations of family to live in the same home. But we have these ridiculous notions that you can't be a grownup until you move out. Also, living alone is expensive, which older generations do not understand. With that being said, I wouldn't do it. Me and my mom would probably be at one another's throats too much.
Yes. I think it's pretty much ONLY in the U.S.A. that adults are expected to move out of their home right away. And now we put pressure on young adults to buy houses as well, often before they are financially ready to.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,779,502 times
I wonder what will happen when the parents die? Is there enough money for them to stay in the house for the remainder of their lives, pay for their own medical care? Doesn't sound like it from what you posted. Nothing wrong with multi-generational living but it sounds like they are ill-prepared to function independently after the parents pass. The parents are doing them no favors IMO.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:24 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,884,097 times
I always jump in these threads. I'm 42, have two sons, and live with my Mother.

Instantly the condemnation starts if I mention this. I'm a bum. I'm emotionally stunted. I'm a freeloading, lazy, good-for-nothing weirdo.

No. My mother and I just get along well. We share expenses and live a better standard of living together than if we were apart. We enjoy each others company, but also have our own social lives, etc.

Like Tassity22 said, "I think it's pretty much ONLY in the U.S.A. that adults are expected to move out of their home right away." For centuries and in other cultures all around the world, there is not this vicious push toward independence.

People who ARE all those things I listed above need to grow up. But growing up means making the right decisions for you and others. Sometimes, that's living with family.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I always jump in these threads. I'm 42, have two sons, and live with my Mother.

Instantly the condemnation starts if I mention this. I'm a bum. I'm emotionally stunted. I'm a freeloading, lazy, good-for-nothing weirdo.

No. My mother and I just get along well. We share expenses and live a better standard of living together than if we were apart. .
I think it's smart to live at home and wish that I had done it. I would have been able to save more money. I used to date a guy who lived at home until he was 30. He did his own laundry and bought his own food while living at home. He saved enough money to buy a nice home of his own eventually.

I also struggle with people who think I'm lazy because I am currently a stay at home mom currently. I have been called a freeloader and a bum. Fact is, I have 3 young children and daycare is expensive. There are always going to be unhappy people who want to criticize others. It's usually because something is going wrong in their own life. They should acknowledge their own faults and shortcomings before trying to find wrong in others.

It is none of their business if someone lives with their parents.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I wonder what will happen when the parents die? Is there enough money for them to stay in the house for the remainder of their lives, pay for their own medical care? Doesn't sound like it from what you posted. Nothing wrong with multi-generational living but it sounds like they are ill-prepared to function independently after the parents pass. The parents are doing them no favors IMO.
Actually, if they continue to live with their parents they can be live-in caretakers when the parents become elderly and infirm. This will save tons of money if the parents don't have to go to an assisted living facility. Most assisted living facilities cost around 100,000 dollars a year and that's on the low end.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:38 AM

973 posts, read 918,125 times
20-30's...ok. At between 30-40, that's pretty weird.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browngeek94 View Post
[/b]

I was in early my 20's, finishing up college, and had a very low salary. Also my brother chipped in on expenses as well. I worked to gain a higher income and eventually moved out. Yes COL is getting higher and higher. I do agree with the second bolded part and would add keeping friendships to that list. However, it doesn't matter in their case since they meet new people all the time.

I'm actually shocked that the majority you think its normal. Learn something new everyday!! Since moving to another state I don't see these girls that often. So me and the mutual friend don't complain about them anymore. When my friend visited this past weekend she revealed that they all still live at home. I thought by now they would have moved out, hence my curiousness.

I made a comment about it once and they got offended. By the way, whats wrong with noticing a potential flaw they have? I still overall appreciate their friendship because of other redeeming qualities.
I bet you did. Would love to know how you worded it. "You know it's not normal to be living with your parents at your age"...something like that. I have no doubt because you said they got offended.

And how nice of you to still want to be friends with them despite this flaw.

You said on another thread you're a 30 year old woman. Do you need to lose any weight?

Would you like it if you were out to lunch with coworkers and one of said "you know browngeek94 you might want to have a salad and don't even think of ordering desert".

Not so nice huh? Well neither was your comment. It's not your business.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:28 AM

245 posts, read 198,075 times
Most of my cousin live at home. They all make very good money and could afford to rent even at NYC prices. They live at home. The older generation was smart and bought brownstones so they have more than enough space.
However, anytime anyone gets married they leave. I stayed home until 24 when I got married. I had no reason to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships