Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:55 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,814,387 times

Advertisements

You were in the car with her during the accident? What happened when she was asked for her insurance at the scene? I am not sure why she would be hunted by the police, when this accident would surely be in the hands of insurance companies and lawyers. And 3 months is definitely not the timetable they would be working with.

Something doesn't add up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 09:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,710,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You were in the car with her during the accident? What happened when she was asked for her insurance at the scene? I am not sure why she would be hunted by the police, when this accident would surely be in the hands of insurance companies and lawyers. And 3 months is definitely not the timetable they would be working with.

Something doesn't add up here.

No, it doesn't.

They lead completely separate lives and don't socialize, but the OP was in her car? Why?

No mention of any injuries at the accident. They were in the car and don't know whose fault it was?

Sounds like something else is going on besides the accident that cause her issues.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:56 PM

42 posts, read 32,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, it doesn't.

They lead completely separate lives and don't socialize, but the OP was in her car? Why?

No mention of any injuries at the accident. They were in the car and don't know whose fault it was?

Sounds like something else is going on besides the accident that cause her issues.
My car was in the shop at the time so I needed a ride. Also, not sure if it matters but the vehicle she ran into was a city work vehicle.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:06 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,705,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweekansas View Post
My car was in the shop at the time so I needed a ride. Also, not sure if it matters but the vehicle she ran into was a city work vehicle.
That really doesn't make a difference. You didn't bother to ask the cops or your roommate why she was being sought?

You may be *just roommates*, but for something like this, in which my life is intruded upon by her bad behavior, I would absolutely insist I know what is going on. Or do you not care that your roommate has engaged in something that results in a warrant for her arrest? They don't show up at your house for a simple traffic violation, ya know?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:13 AM

6 posts, read 4,576 times
You are just doing the right decision. She should face whatever mistakes she committed.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:02 AM

258 posts, read 235,816 times
Quote:
Would greatly appreciate some feedback. So I have had a roommate close to a year now, we share an apartment. Anyway, 3 months back she was in a wreck that was her fault. I was with her when it happened but she was ordered to pay for the wreck. We don't really talk that much nor do we share details about our lives which is understandable, but shortly after the wreck I did find out from her she was held responsible and was going to have to pay. Didn't hear any updates about that which is understandable, didn't care to know and she didn't say being roommates after all.

That was until today. She had gone to work while I was studying and I got a knock at the door, it was a cop. They asked for my roommate which I told him she wasn't here, he asked if I knew where she could be and said she was at work and said where she works, he said thanks and left. Later that day my roommate comes back angry as can be. Apparently they arrested her at work, and she is now furious at me for telling them. I said to her I wasn't going to lie to the cops and she said "Well, you could have just told them you didn't know and you wouldn't be in trouble". She is very angry at me as you can imagine. Oh, her mother bailed her out btw.

So was I in the wrong here?

No, you did nothing wrong. Being honest is a GOOD thing. Your roommate is responsible for whatever she is doing wrong..and 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:29 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,533,140 times
If she does lose her job, its not YOUR fault. She need to step up an have some integrity.

How old is she? Sounds very immature no matter her age.

If it was me, I'd be looking for a new roommate.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,302,402 times
Quote:
I don't know how exactly it went down but she was supposed to pay off the insurance or something, I do remember her getting a letter in the mail (I got the mail that day) and she opened it and said something to the effect of "I need to pay this? It's not my fault!". And in the past I know she has had issues paying debts and such, sometimes getting her to pay her half of rent/bills is a pain so it did not at all shock me. Anyway, as mad as she was she got out of jail pretty fast, her mother just went to the jail, paid what she owed and she was right out.
The police are not going to come and arrest her for not paying her insurance. Maybe the other party was awarded a payment or something, and the police arrested your roommate on a bench warrant, for not complying with the judges orders. Or, she didn't show up at court.....All contempt of court charges which are arrestable offences.

It does seem funny that your roommate has kept you so in the dark considering that you were in the vehicle when the accident occurred.

I still think accusing you for her troubles with the police was ridiculous. I'd personally be looking to move, or move her out....especially since you just posted that she doesn't pay her share like she is supposed to.

Sounds like you need a change in this situation.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:27 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,705,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

I still think accusing you for her troubles with the police was ridiculous. I'd personally be looking to move, or move her out....especially since you just posted that she doesn't pay her share like she is supposed to.

Sounds like you need a change in this situation.
And, as a result of the arrest, she faces the possibility of losing her job. She may not be able to afford living there in the very near future.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:12 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,234,905 times
Why is she mad. If you had not told them where she was they would have just returned later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships