Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 26,243 times

Advertisements

I have a situation that I hope some member might have some helpful information for me.

I have been renting a room from my roommate for about 8+ years. I am NOT on the lease. I do have mail in my name and everyone in the apartment building knows who I am and that I reside here.

Unfortunately, my roommate passed away this past weekend. I know the lease is up in the summer.

I have the obvious questions anyone in my position would have:

1. Can the Complex kick me out?
2. How long can I reside here? I don't want to be homeless in the winter!
3. Are they legally required to let me reside here for the remaining time of the lease?
4. It's rent stabilized. Can they increase my rent, during the remaining time of the lease?
5. Do they have to offer me the option to sign a new lease? If so, how much can they increase the rent?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM

979 posts, read 4,455,823 times
have you been paying your share of the rent directly to the LL?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
have you been paying your share of the rent directly to the LL?
Thanks for the response.
No, I have been paying my roommate directly in cash for over 8 years.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
Does the landlord know you were living with him?

Old 11-29-2010, 05:02 PM

The rights of a family member living in a rent controlled or rent stabilized apartment to succeed a tenant of record who dies or permanently vacates are covered by DHCR Regulations. Under these regulations, a “family member” is defined as a husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law or daughter-in-law of the tenant; or any other person residing with the tenant in the apartment as a primary resident who can prove emotional and financial commitment and interdependence with the tenant. 9 NYCRR § 2520.6(o)(2).

Is this a possibility?

Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 PM

It's a managment company. The staff (super, doormen, etc) know I've lived there all of these years. It wasn't hidden, and as I've mentioned, bills (including cable), come in my name OR both of our names.

I'm not a "family member" but have been a roommate for over 8+ years.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:11 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
I hate to say this but Im thinking maybe you had better look for another place to live because I doubt the Landlord will let you stay . Im so sorry that your roommate passed away , I know this is not an easy thing to have happen . I had a friend whose boyfriend passed away and his parents put her out and she was engaged to the young man but because they were not married legally the parents were well within their rights to put her out since they owned the home . They did not like her and she has since moved on but still crappy either way . I wish you luck and God bless you I hope things work out for you .

Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Well, you are entitled to due process which means you would have to be evicted legally given the length of time you've been there. As a holdover proceeding this could take up to 3 months. I am wondering how your roommate paid the rent but I'm also wondering if you can only afford to stay if you get a roommate. I would be tempted to try and pay the rent with cash (get a receipt of course for the apartment number) and seeing if they take it. This is not a definitive legal right to keep the apartment but it definitely muddies the waters. Honestly a good tenant lawyer may have better answers then you'll find here. Go to the TenantNet forum and ask the same question.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:27 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
The rights of a family member living in a rent controlled or rent stabilized apartment to succeed a tenant of record who dies or permanently vacates are covered by DHCR Regulations. Under these regulations, a “family member” is defined as a husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law or daughter-in-law of the tenant; or any other person residing with the tenant in the apartment as a primary resident who can prove emotional and financial commitment and interdependence with the tenant. 9 NYCRR § 2520.6(o)(2).

Is this a possibility?
The only accepted "proof of financial interdependence and commitment" in NYC is a joint checking account.They make you show the statements of a joint checking account to register as domestic partners.It is considered the absolute minimum form of proof.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,497 times
Quote:

Is this a possibility?
Doubt it. The point of that clause was to work around prohibitions on same-sex marriage and allow same-sex couples to get inheritance rights. Doesn't sound like that applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City