Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 07:11 AM

9,467 posts, read 9,406,464 times

Advertisements

We spent several days recently with some visiting friends who made a number of "snarky" remarks to me. Do your friends do that? We were in the car driving with them to see a historic landmark. It was a couple of hours away and since all of us were from out of town, I had researched a couple of restaurants where we could eat afterward. I was discussing the locations of the restaurants with DH, who was driving, when the woman of the couple blurted out to me from the back seat, "You think too much."

Then another day during the visit, we were in a nice restaurant and out of the blue, in a loud voice, the husband says to me, "You don't like music." Huh? We hadn't been talking abiut music, and I've never said that. I don't care for jazz or blues (apparently his favorites), but I like other kinds of music.

There were about five other instances during their visit when they made snarky remarks to me. It was so odd. They have never acted like this before.

Do your friends make snarky remarks to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 07:20 AM

12,138 posts, read 8,532,725 times
I do have a whole handful of snarky cousins from one side of the family. It's the way they express their dislikes. Fortunately I'm not on the receiving end of the snark in their presence at least. I think they are probably all too "polite" to snark in someone's face. So what it is is passive-aggressive behavior.

Nope. No snark allowed in my space, please. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Something (else) is not being said.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:24 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,301,450 times
Honestly, I don't think your "friends" like you too much. I am not sure the remarks they made are as much snarky as hostile.

Why not consider not spending very much time with "friends" like these?

Old 11-12-2016, 10:49 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,523,222 times
It could be seen as a compliment that they think you are close enough that they can make those comments. But they obviously don't know you as well as they think because you were clearly upset by their remarks.

Or they are just rude and inconsiderate and you should avoid them in future!

I'm from the UK where we talk to each other like that all the time, that's how our humor is. But you have to know when it's appropriate and when it isn't. I reserve that kind of thing for very very close friends who know how much I love them now that I live in the US.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:58 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,723,450 times
I'd say they have a low tolerance level for behavior that is irritating to them. So that's why they are expressing it through snarks. If you get a bad feeling from it, I'd avoid them in the future.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:56 AM

102,312 posts, read 108,503,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We spent several days recently with some visiting friends who made a number of "snarky" remarks to me. Do your friends do that? We were in the car driving with them to see a historic landmark. It was a couple of hours away and since all of us were from out of town, I had researched a couple of restaurants where we could eat afterward. I was discussing the locations of the restaurants with DH, who was driving, when the woman of the couple blurted out to me from the back seat, "You think too much."

Then another day during the visit, we were in a nice restaurant and out of the blue, in a loud voice, the husband says to me, "You don't like music." Huh? We hadn't been talking abiut music, and I've never said that. I don't care for jazz or blues (apparently his favorites), but I like other kinds of music.

There were about five other instances during their visit when they made snarky remarks to me. It was so odd. They have never acted like this before.

Do your friends make snarky remarks to you?
I had one that would occasionally make condescending jabs and snarky comments. She's no longer my friend. These people are not your friends, OP. Life is too short for this kind of stuff.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,570,922 times
My folks will over-discuss restaurants and directions to a point that drives my husband batty. Sometimes I will join the discussion, sometimes all the details overwhelm me and I too get annoyed. Hopefully I've grown out of making snarky comments when I feel this way. My folks really enjoy hashing out all these details together.

Anyways, maybe this is what happened in the car --just because you annoy someone sometimes doesn't mean they don't like/love you. Of course she was definitely rude about it.

The music thing out of the blue does make it sound like they were talking about you behind your back, because both comments are "YOU do this." I agree with others who say if they make you feel bad, don't invite them again, don't call. See if they reach out instead.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:22 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,365,795 times
IOW, are my friends passive aggressive?

I suppose we have a few of those. Annoying to the bone. LOL!

Tune them out or throw them out of your life.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:45 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,290,286 times
I used to. Then I wised up.

It's kind of like people who pride themselves on being sarcastic. For some weird reason, they think it's a sign of intellectual superiority when, in fact, it's the laziest form of humor there is. And it's corrosive too boot. Any idiot can be sarcastic, which explains why your average five-year-old can do it. It is the exact opposite of wit.

Snarkiness is the same basic thing. It is a desire to tear someone down, not build them up. And why would any sane person have friends like that in their lives?

Old 11-12-2016, 01:30 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,255,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
....Do your friends make snarky remarks to you?
Friends, no.

Sometimes acquaintances have tried this, and the result is unfortunate for them. I stop traffic and say, "OK, where is this remark coming from? What's up with you?"

It is probably needles to say, none of these people have ever become friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships