Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:50 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,077,276 times

Advertisements

Let's say you are fortunate enough to be able to do or have something really cool, that not a lot of people can say they have. Like

*frequent vacations
*VIP access to sporting events or concerts
whatever

Are you genuinely humble? Do you keep it a secret? Brag? Humblebrag? Just be matter of fact?

What's your natural tendency.

To the extent I experience it, I tend to keep it on the down-low and say as little as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 05:33 PM

16,442 posts, read 12,611,323 times
I only bring it up if it organically comes up in coversation in a non-braggy way.

I don't need to brag, because I'm not seeking to impress anyone or gain their approval. But sometimes it's nice to be able to talk about the things we experience in life.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:41 PM

15,174 posts, read 27,916,094 times
Well - IF I was fortunate - I would like to think I would occasionally (not over-the-top) - invite people to an event, dinner/lunch, etc. - maybe pick up something you see at a store that makes you think of them or it would be something they'd love..... (I'm not fortunate so can't really answer for sure I guess).

Old 08-24-2017, 05:59 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,388,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Let's say you are fortunate enough to be able to do or have something really cool, that not a lot of people can say they have. Like

*frequent vacations
*VIP access to sporting events or concerts
whatever

Are you genuinely humble? Do you keep it a secret? Brag? Humblebrag? Just be matter of fact?

To the extent I experience it, I tend to keep it on the down-low and say as little as possible.
Internally my recognition of benefiting or being fortunate was just that (Internal).. not preaching or pointing out to strangers and I find it rather instructing of others which is none of our business to tell others how to deal with things!!

Fortunate~~ Could undoubtedly be due to simply, being in the right place at the right time ( or some would think "Meant to BE" or My got feeling to decide this happen to be the Right one.. BUT some may say it was divine intervention! But mostly I appreciated good fortune and appreciated it.

As I aged, I always revisited some of these things and realized that most of my good decisions came from LIFE EXPERIENCES and analyzed them the best I could so apply in future situations. It's obvious.. NOT all decisions work out and it basically suggests.. Learn from the BAD ONES so as NOT to REPEAT THEM!

Who am I to suggest I am blessed??? Lucky maybe initially but learned that " Learning Life Lessons" and determined to NOT REPEAT BAD decisions was my best option.

Meanwhile, I also realize that just sometimes Bad things happen and one has no control over it! Paranoia shouldn't be the reason you avoid anything.. BUT applying life lessons and critical thinking to the WHO/Why and Wherefores??? when deciding to invest, travel, environments to visit/ stay in relationships just may be your best BET!

Many seem to have horseshoes around them, no matter what they do.. BUT the outcome eventually may be their downfall.... especially if gains were made by taking advantage of others!! I'd like to think, any fortunate results I had in life was do to NOT hurting another

Old 08-25-2017, 12:04 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,698,944 times
I can tell you this ~ I am fortunate to be alive, and I don't mind declaring it when the moment calls for it. I had a health surprise that was an anomaly and I really should be six feet under. But it escalated to that point because I could not get my doctor to take me seriously, and whenever I find myself in a discussion regarding medical oversights, I have to bring this up.

I had a job that provided very excellent benefits but I kept that on the down-low because most people don't have that.

My house is paid off next month and I have no qualms about bragging off that announcement as it comes up. It isn't much of a house but with one more payment it will be all mine. Many people dump starter homes to move up, and they end up paying mortgages forever. We didn't do that.

I just retired. A few family members found it odd that I kept it so quiet and wasn't interested in a party. I hate parties and wanted no fuss. Even at work I kept it low-key.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:40 AM

775 posts, read 780,208 times
Life, health, no debt, family.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,334,005 times
I try to share as much of my good fortune as I can.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:26 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,915,056 times
never brag or humble brag - that's the worst. Also terrible is#blessed

Old 08-26-2017, 05:30 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,420,530 times
Quote:
I do the same.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:01 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,046,337 times
Quote:

Matter-of-fact. It's my life, that's just the way it is.

Some people will interpret it as bragging, since there seem to be an astonishing number of people out there who resent everyone who has more than themselves. But I'm not responsible for whatever reaction they have or the little meanness in their spirit.

It's probably useful to keep in mind that the-haves have tragedies, too. This has been the worst year of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships