Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:26 AM

7,597 posts, read 4,170,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Let's say you are fortunate enough to be able to do or have something really cool, that not a lot of people can say they have. Like

*frequent vacations
*VIP access to sporting events or concerts
whatever

Are you genuinely humble? Do you keep it a secret? Brag? Humblebrag? Just be matter of fact?

What's your natural tendency.

To the extent I experience it, I tend to keep it on the down-low and say as little as possible.
There will always be people who have the ability to do more than you and people who can only do less. Even I find myself in that situation and I definitely do less than you. Personally, I love to hear about almost anybody's adventures.

But for the purposes of this post, if somebody asks, I would share. Outside of asking, our experiences only mean something to other people who shared some with us, as in, we have spent quality time together.

The way I express being fortunate is to be a positive influence in other people's lives. If that means talking less about myself to some people, then that is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:47 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,408,314 times
I keep my mouth shut and thank God for the opportunities that I have had and the strength to get through the rough times.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,693,874 times
I suppose the proper thing would be to mention it if asked, but but not brag about details. If you go on an expensive vacations, for instance, you could talk about the sights without bragging about the four-star hotel. You can talk about a sports event without dwelling on the VIP access.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
I do not think any of those things are brag worthy. They are not accomplishments. Now if I sold my house and gave all the moeny to the poor - that might be worth bragging about. Or maybe if I went to Cuba and set up a water filtration system for an entire village to get potable water - maybe.

I would not brag about those things as it is not my nature, but those are the kinds of things that might be bragworthy.

Sitting in a box or on the floor of a sporting event, theater production or symphony performance? Umm whoopdeedoo. Who cannot sit in a chair and watch somehting?

Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Let's say you are fortunate enough to be able to do or have something really cool, that not a lot of people can say they have. Like

*frequent vacations
*VIP access to sporting events or concerts
whatever

Are you genuinely humble? Do you keep it a secret? Brag? Humblebrag? Just be matter of fact?

What's your natural tendency.

To the extent I experience it, I tend to keep it on the down-low and say as little as possible.
I don't think you have to apologize for it. But you don't have to broadcast it either.

It's one thing to say, "We're going to South Africa for two weeks on safari," in response to the question, "Are you going on any vacations anytime soon?" It's another thing entirely to tell everyone you know about it months in advance.

But if you find yourself resentful that somebody goes to all the concerts or spends a month in Tahiti, then it's really your problem, not theirs.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:33 PM

989 posts, read 1,019,669 times
I think the way that you frame things is very important. We are a million miles from being rich, but I consider us to be fortunate, and we are generally frugal and are the opposite of showy. The one area we tend to splurge on a bit is travel because we absolutely love exploring the world. When someone asks if I have a trip planned, I always tell the truth, but I don't emphasize costly aspects of it and I never act in a braggy way. If anything, I point out that we choose our vacation destinations based on price and often book a trip 6 months in advance when we can jump on an excellent deal. So I don't go around telling people "I'm going to Norway, one of the most expensive countries in the world." I tell people that we snagged an amazing deal on airfare to visit Norway, which we've always wanted to visit but generally could not afford to do so, and that we'd be staying in airbnb's to further keep costs down. To me, the way you frame these things is very important. I don't like to spend a lot of money on cars or clothing, etc., but the way this is framed by other people plays an important role in my perception of them.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:06 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,746,037 times
Having happy healthy children, a loving husband, my health, a roof over my head and a decent job.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
I know that I am very fortunate. And I don't talk about it unless asked to by close friends.

I have my health, a loving husband that's much younger than I am, a beautiful house, a decent collection of antiques and I am good at discovering them at a very reasonable price... but the downsides is having a mortgage at my age and a long commute to work.

I do say to people that I consider myself a 1%-ter... because of living now and in the US (particularly in New England). And comparing myself to all the humans who have ever lived, and ones living elsewhere in the world. Money isn't everything.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
I wake up breathing.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:31 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,564,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I try to share as much of my good fortune as I can.
this is me. My mom was the absolute most generous soul on the planet. Had she been in Houston this week I guarantee you she would have been feeding 100 families and had 1/2 that many squeeze into the house. She is one of my "Sheroes". lol.

I have a beach house at the Jersey shore, my late husband and I purchased it really as another part of our retirement plan for steady income. Most of the time during the summer it's rented out but 2 weeks I keep (lol, yes I pay myself rental) for friends and family. I have found that sharing is awesome.

pretty much I do what most people do, I try to teach my kids generosity and compassion for those less fortunate. I try to teach them the important things are often not associated with money and "there by the grace of god go I" lessons. some they get, others lol not so much.

LOL I'm making them give a donation to the red cross for Houston, they aren't exactly ecstatic about it but I think it's important.

after that like every one else said, I try to take an attitude of gratitude for what I have.

Healthy kids
family
friends.

But it is a balancing act, I'm retiring in about a year or so. well before normal retirement age, so I have gotten the "how can you afford to retire so early" question. but I actually don't mind that.

Since 2013 I have lost my darling husband to cancer, my wonderful baby brother to cancer and one of my best friends to an obesity related heart attack. I know full well, every thing else is gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships