Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:59 AM

505 posts, read 586,301 times

Advertisements

There's a group of Jr. High, punk kids that are vandalizing, pushing kids into a busy street and trying to pick fights with adults.

My mom, niece/sister and I have observed their violent behavior a few times now, which have involved other parents as well. The day our involvement began was walking home from school, catching these punks ripping down a huge community banner for our HOA event coming up. They were stomping on the rope and trying to rip through the sign. We were behind them and yelled at them to stop and they turned around, cursed at us and ran away.

We told our HOA president and he said this is the third time they've done this and if we could photograph them and file a police report, he'd appreciate it.

We filed a police report the next morning. Police said they would try to send a cop over when school let out so we could identify these kids. However, since the vandalism is only around $20 or less, it isn't a priority.

No cop showed up, but I brought my camera. I was able to get clear photos of the two of the main criminals/gang leaders. However, during the photos, the one ring leader, an obese, Mexican, jumped in front of our car, wouldn't move and put his hands on our hood so we couldn't take a photo of the other criminal. We yelled at him to move, but he turned around, showing his behind and cursing at us. I documented everything.

The school told us to bring in the photos and they'd help us identify them. We decided to drop it, being that our event is over, we had already notified the police and were concerned for our safety as well. This was a month ago.

As my niece was walking home yesterday, she told us they started up with another neighbor. This neighbor had her camera as well and experienced more of a severe attack than our sign issue. We went to talk to the neighbor to share our experiences as well.

They showed us their video and all the damage that's been done to their house from these same punks. They've stolen their mailbox, thrown their mail out in the street, thrown bricks at her front window, (which were all boarded up) kicking down her concrete wall, stole her bike out the back, threatening to fight, kicking, spitting, swearing at her and her husband - all caught on camera.

They've also filed a police report and the police DO NOTHING and DO NOT care! I'm concerned if we continue to try and prosecute these punks, they'll try and do something to our house. They're clearly not afraid of adults and have zero parental involvement. Should we just mind our own business or keep trying to stop these criminals-in-the-making? Although without support from the police, I'm not sure what to do.

Thoughts?

Last edited by WildSpark; 11-19-2016 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 09:31 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,269,116 times
Perhaps advise the local paper, TV stations, and politicians about the lack of action by law enforcement? Our local media has community action depts. that help in such matters.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Perhaps advise the local paper, TV stations, and politicians about the lack of action by law enforcement? Our local media has community action depts. that help in such matters.
Good idea! I like this. Thank you.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:49 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,000,903 times
Jr high kids, so the under 14 crowd? What exactly are you afraid of, and what do you expect will change if you don't take a stand? Take those pictures to the school to have the kids ID'd, get together with your neighbors, and press charges for vandalism. Don't ask the police to divert resources to protect your property if you aren't willing to do your part.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,244,089 times
If you can go to a local TV station with your footage, and if you are able to get coverage, the police will be forced to act.

But I have to mention that a lot of police forces are undermanned these days. It might be that they don't have the manpower to do get involved in neighborhood disputes. I do think you are right to demand that the troublemakers be policed however. Keep us posted.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Thanks everyone who commented. I don't know if the Las Vegas police are understaffed, but they sure are difficult to get a hold of. We waited with our neighbors to file another police report and were on hold for 1.5 hours until we gave up! It's a good thing this wasn't a life threatening emergency! We're going to school on Monday to get names and then figure out where to go from here.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:30 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,495,702 times
As you've already discovered, you're wasting your time filing reports. They're going to go into a cabinet never to be seen again. The next time you see them acting up, call 911 and tell the dispatcher one of them has a knife in his hand. They'll send a car over immediately.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:19 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,288,608 times
Well, if you really want police AND media AND parents to get involved, just try putting your hands on one of the little terrors! That will get instant results.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,228,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
There's a group of Jr. High, punk kids that are vandalizing, pushing kids into a busy street and trying to pick fights with adults.
They've also filed a police report and the police DO NOTHING and DO NOT care! I'm concerned if we continue to try and prosecute these punks, they'll try and do something to our house. They're clearly not afraid of adults and have zero parental involvement. Should we just mind our own business or keep trying to stop these criminals-in-the-making? Although without support from the police, I'm not sure what to do.

Thoughts?
I would try to avoid any interaction with these punks and start planning to relocate.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:28 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,288,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Jr high kids, so the under 14 crowd? What exactly are you afraid of, and what do you expect will change if you don't take a stand? Take those pictures to the school to have the kids ID'd, get together with your neighbors, and press charges for vandalism. Don't ask the police to divert resources to protect your property if you aren't willing to do your part.
Are you for real? She is getting involved, but is getting no LE support. Should she try to make a citizens arrest? Do you realize that many 14 yr olds are physically bigger and stronger than many adults? Could a group of 5,6,7 or more 14yr olds mess YOU UP pretty good? You bet they could.

If your home was being broken into on a regular basis, would you be expected to 'take a stand' against the thieves and not call police?

This is what the 'broken windows' concept of policing is for. Stop minor crimes and misdemeanors, and overall crime will decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships