Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:44 PM

37 posts, read 24,794 times

Advertisements

Hello, I used to be friends with one guy who is my classmate but he told me that he likes me more than a friend I've told him that I want just to be friends with him.Since then he completely stopped talking to me, is acting like I'm invisible, gives me short answers..I feel sad because he was only one friend I had in my class, other classmates feel like totally strangers for me, I don't know anything about them, they don't know anything about me, they have friends and spend time with them. Now only that guy who used to be my friend and left friendless. I still feel attached to him because I know him more than anyone else in my class, I could always trust him, I still want to be with him. How to get over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 04:38 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,354,899 times
Hi Simonna,
Unfortunately you'll have people like that. I'm sorry for your loss, and I sure know the feeling, but seems that he wanted more than you had to offer. You never mentioned how long you knew him, but perhaps he had hopes that your friendship would blossom into a relationship - and it just doesn't always work that way.
Seems that he's a bit selfish, you told him that you liked him - just not that way. I know it's hard now, but maybe join a couple of school related activities, like art, music, etc. and you'll befriend sincere people, not those who are in it for what hey can get out of it. I can almost guarantee that there will be others from whom friendship can grow.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:23 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,696,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonna View Post
Hello, I used to be friends with one guy who is my classmate but he told me that he likes me more than a friend I've told him that I want just to be friends with him.Since then he completely stopped talking to me, is acting like I'm invisible, gives me short answers..I feel sad because he was only one friend I had in my class, other classmates feel like totally strangers for me, I don't know anything about them, they don't know anything about me, they have friends and spend time with them. Now only that guy who used to be my friend and left friendless. I still feel attached to him because I know him more than anyone else in my class, I could always trust him, I still want to be with him. How to get over it?
This sounds like a good time to get to know your other classmates, and expand your circle of friends. Hopefully you didn't totally ignored them when things were good between you and your former friend.
Not everybody can handle rejection, and perhaps his emotional maturity is not develop yet at this point in his young life.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:28 PM

505 posts, read 586,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
This sounds like a good time to get to know your other classmates, and expand your circle of friends. Hopefully you didn't totally ignored them when things were good between you and your former friend.
Not everybody can handle rejection, and perhaps his emotional maturity is not develop yet at this point in his young life.
^^^^^^This is good advice. Sit next to someone new and say "hi". Guys are immature, baby boys when it comes to their ego, women and sex. I've lost many guy friends this way too. Good on you for keeping it real and respecting your feelings. You're not alone.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:18 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,716,738 times
If he wanted to date you, then it would not be fair to expect him to hang around and just be "friends" if he wants more than that.

I would try to make other friends, maybe some female friends.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:23 PM

12,793 posts, read 15,052,259 times
Who needs him! Certainly not you. He's a narcissist actually because he's going to get all hurt/mad just because a person doesn't like him back. Oh pish tosh!

You don't need him as even a friend. He needs to grow up big time. I hope you're ignoring him too & not looking over in his direction, just hoping he says something to you. He's not even a genuine friend if he's going to gell all mad over that.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:48 AM

37 posts, read 24,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
No I never totally ignored anyone.I'm just studying major where all of my classmates are guys, so almost all of them are smoking and I don't have ability to get to know them better because I'm not smoking so I never spend time with them.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:56 AM

224 posts, read 299,340 times
Maybe this guy is being distant after you told him you only wanted to be friends and did not take it all that well. Things will probably settle down but you can't expect him to spend a lot of time with you if he is looking for a relationship with someone. He will need to spend his time doing that just as you would do the same. He is probably being careful. A lot of guys are weary of trying to figure out relationships with women (don't take that wrong, just hear what I am saying) and will back off quickly when giving certain messages. He probably interpreted your statement as "Okay, she has been nice to me but I am of little real interest to her so it is time for me to back off."

Old 11-20-2016, 04:57 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,860,499 times
surely there are other people than just that one class...

Old 11-20-2016, 05:15 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,495,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
If he wanted to date you, then it would not be fair to expect him to hang around and just be "friends" if he wants more than that.
Exactly. He was honest with her and explained how he felt, likely knowing that he risked losing a friend also. That isn't easy. What's he supposed to do now, just flip a switch and turn his feelings off?

And OP, I have to wonder if maybe you haven't been clear and direct with him about how you feel. I say this because of how you worded your last sentence:
"I still feel attached to him because I know him more than anyone else in my class, I could always trust him, I still want to be with him."

That's an unusual way to speak of someone who you view strictly as a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships