Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you resolve the double-booking you made?
Go with the friend you contacted first. 7 17.95%
Go with the friend who agreed to hang out first. 21 53.85%
Go with the friend closer psychologically. 0 0%
Go with the activity you enjoy more. 2 5.13%
Go with the activity easier to travel to. 0 0%
Scramble to find an activity all 3 people can do. 5 12.82%
Turn down both friends, and do something alone. 0 0%
Some other decision criteria. 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 10:32 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,895,491 times

Advertisements

For the purpose of this thread, assume that friends X and Y are from two separate circles, both socially and geographically. They have different interests, and introductions will be somewhat challenging. Also assume all three of you are the same sex.

I'm sure people had this happen before. You're looking to do something in the evening. The time to plan is running short. So you call/text a friend (call them X), to invite them to hang out. A hour passes, and X hasn't responded. So you call/text another friend (call them Y), and invite them to a different activity. Friend Y replies to you within 15 minutes, and agrees. Another hour later, friend X replies, agreeing as well. So now, you got two different friends who agreed to two different activities. And you're stuck in the middle, with a slight moral dilemma on your hands.

How would you make a decision? Which do you think will be most fair to everyone involved? Vote in the poll and post in comments.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 11-20-2016 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 12:48 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,029,752 times
Decide with whom you prefer to spend your time and tell the other one, with an apology, plans changed.

Life isn't this hard.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,688,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
For the purpose of this thread, assume that friends X and Y are from two separate circles, both socially and geographically. They have different interests, and introductions will be somewhat challenging. Also assume all three of you are the same sex.

I'm sure people had this happen before. You're looking to do something in the evening. The time to plan is running short. So you call/text a friend (call them X), to invite them to hang out. A hour passes, and X hasn't responded. So you call/text another friend (call them Y), and invite them to a different activity. Friend Y replies to you within 15 minutes, and agrees. Another hour later, friend X replies, agreeing as well. So now, you got two different friends who agreed to two different activities. And you're stuck in the middle, with a slight moral dilemma on your hands.

How would you make a decision? Which do you think will be most fair to everyone involved? Vote in the poll and post in comments.
This is another example of why this country is in big trouble.

What's so difficult? "Sorry X I already made plans with someone, let's get together next week" or you could take a chance and bring X and Y together and the three of you do something.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:21 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,895,491 times
Good grief! This forum is supposed to be about social situations with friends and family. Don't tar and feather me for it.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,206,784 times
Most people will understand when trying to make plans for the short term (for that evening) that if you didn't hear back within x amount of time that you have moved forward with other plans. There is no "double-booking" in your example. There was no "booking" until Friend Y responded affirmatively.

I think you're making your social life much more complicated than it needs to be.

I also have trouble seeing this as a "slight moral dilemma." You were not tasked with deciding which friend to throw into the sea to lighten the weight of the boat. Meet Friend X for a boat ride some other time or invite him to join you and Friend Y to set sail on whatever activity the two of you decided upon. You've made the effort to be inclusive and he will accept or not.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:40 PM

29,774 posts, read 34,503,257 times
"Sorry, X, when I didn't hear from you I made other plans. You're welcome to join us, or I'll catch up with you another time."

Old 11-20-2016, 01:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,225,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
"Sorry, X, when I didn't hear from you I made other plans. You're welcome to join us, or I'll catch up with you another time."
That's what I would do.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,688,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Good grief! This forum is supposed to be about social situations with friends and family. Don't tar and feather me for it.
Because you're creating a situation, when there really isn't one.

Quote:
Seems to be too difficult to grasp.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:54 PM

22,648 posts, read 47,836,161 times
Quote:
This.
No moral dilemma, no over thinking. Just common sense!

Old 11-20-2016, 03:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,915,996 times
Quote:
Took the words out of my mouth

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships