Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 01:54 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

My dad actually believed you should put butter on a burn and wouldn't believe differently.
This belief was extremely common, if not universal, in a certain era. There are probably people around who were raised with that, and still believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 02:05 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
My grandmother believed using a tampon was like packing a wound to stop the bleeding. She had had numerous late term miscarriages where she had to be "packed" to stop the hemorrhaging. She happened to go through menopause earlier than most women and her mind she associated this with the miscarriages and the wound packing. People of her generation were so ignorant of their own bodies.

She raised my sister and I and while she told us about menstruation, she never talked about sex AT ALL. It was for married people and a woman was supposed to just put up with sex for the sake of her husband and for procreation and that was it. I was 13 or 14 years old and heard my aunt, who had just had a baby talking to my grandmother about the stitches being itchy. I assumed she was talking about the stitches to open her up to take the baby out because how else could it get out, that's how clueless I was.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:22 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,671,627 times
My grandmother always said to watch out for the folks who sat in the front church pews because they were the biggest backstabbers.

Hmmmm, in many cases I found out she was right (!).

Also, my mother always said if you cut your hair shorter, it would come in thicker. I was always jealous of my sister's long pony tail while I had a shorter bob.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My mom/grandmother believed doing splits or falling in a certain way would break the hymen. But I don't think they confused no hymen and not a virgin. Or at least I don't think so.

I remember being told all the time the most unappealing part of food (bread crust, chicken skin, burnt parts, etc) was the healthiest.

My dad actually believed you should put butter on a burn and wouldn't believe differently.

I am sure more will pop in my head soon.
Yes, butter on a burn was something from my childhood. But, one that really works, that I use still is slather plain yellow mustard on a burn.....it truly does work.

My Mom/G.Ma would wrap a slice of raw potato, or a copper penny on you foot on the wound if you stepped on a nail.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Don't play like you're blind (closing your eyes and walking), or you really will go blind.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

My Mom/G.Ma would wrap a slice of raw potato, or a copper penny on you foot on the wound if you stepped on a nail.
My grandfather would soak his foot in a bucket of kerosene if he stepped on a nail.

My grandmother was pretty convinced that tampons caused insanity or Tuberculosis, sometimes both. No whistling in the house, never walk around with only one shoe on, no hats on the bed ever.....all bad luck.

If you gave someone a gift of cutlery, you also had to give them money (it could be a nickel), otherwise they would promptly cut themselves accidentally. Likewise a purse....it had to have a few coins in it to bring prosperity.

Never light three cigarettes on a single match. Never say, "If it's the last thing I do, ......."

Old 11-27-2016, 03:44 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
If you eat raw potatoes you will get worms.

Everything was made better by soaking it in Epsom salts.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:48 PM

894 posts, read 587,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Don't play like you're blind (closing your eyes and walking), or you really will go blind.
Isn't there also an Old Wives Tale that claims masturbation will make you go blind too? Lol!

Old 11-27-2016, 03:55 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
"If you keep making that face, it will freeze that way."

If you sit too close to the TV you will go blind.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:01 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
My grandmother freaked out when she saw I had houseplants on a shelf in my bedroom. She was insistent that I was going to die during my sleep because the plants would suck all of the air out of the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships