Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 05:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,097,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
jesus to jesus and seven hands around..... being poor doesn't mean dirty.... clean yourselves you don't live in a barn!!

chew with your mouth shut!! that's only proper!!

id rather earn two quick nickles than one long dime.....

don't pick on someone because they are homely.....you aint no prize yourself!!

where were you when god was passing out common sense????

arrogance is weak, show strength thru humility and kindness....

you get what you give

stop crying or ill give you something to cry about

don't talk to spirits...even if they talk to you

always respect the flag.....it flies free because sooo many young men have died sacrificing for what it stands for

never ever strike a woman or child even if they deserve it
I don't think very many of those are weird, especially the last one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:52 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,299,734 times
There was something about taking baths too often. I can't remember what it was. Something about it making you sick.

I had a relative tell us if you rested your face on your hands at the table, your face would freeze in that position. (I don't know if that makes sense. It's when you put your elbows on the table, with your forearms in an upward position, and hold your face in your hands. It smooshes your cheeks up.) Anyways, we all thought he was probably just trying to get us to sit properly, but we were actually afraid he was right.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
There was something about swallowing bubble gum that my grandma said, but I'll be darned if I can remember what evil was supposed to befall me if I did that.
It will stay in your stomach for 7 years!

Old 11-29-2016, 06:07 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,351,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
My mother told me tampons caused Toxic Shock Syndrome and were dangerous, and she didn't allow me to use them. (I suppose this may have been true in rare circumstances.)
It's true and not all that rare.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,335,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Tampons actually are associated with Toxic Shock Syndrome. I remember the outbreak of TSS in the early 1980s very well. For various reasons, it is much rarer now (in the case of tampon use, that is), but not unheard-of. Historical Perspectives Reduced Incidence of Menstrual Toxic-Shock Syndrome -- United States, 1980-1990
I remember this. It was a scandal at the time.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
women must wear hats or a handkerchief in church
This is stated in the bible.

The beliefs about women being unclean during menstruation are also from the bible.

There are a whole bunch of scientific inaccuracies too (scroll past the table that is quoting an inaccurate poster). You can't blame the writers and others that came after them too much...they had no idea.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:19 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,774,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Did your mother come from Scottish or Welsh roots? The Scots had the custom of the "first footer", that required that the first person through your door on New Year's Day had to be a man and enter with his right foot. Some gentlemen would agree to be the "first footer" for the entire neighborhood, so everyone on the street had to hang out in the front room twiddling their thumbs until he got to them. It was customary to offer the "first footer" a drink and a snack, so he was probably rolling and sloshing drunk by the time he got to the end of the street.
What if he forgot and used his left foot first?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:15 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,969,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post

My mother told me tampons caused Toxic Shock Syndrome and were dangerous, and she didn't allow me to use them. (I suppose this may have been true in rare circumstances.)
It was VERY true.

Furthermore, some women actually forgot them in there.

Toxic Shock Syndrome

Old 11-29-2016, 09:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,015,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
This is stated in the bible.

The beliefs about women being unclean during menstruation are also from the bible.
Actually before the bible. So many cultures around the world have beliefs and customs that ostracize women during their periods.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,015,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Did your mother come from Scottish or Welsh roots? The Scots had the custom of the "first footer", that required that the first person through your door on New Year's Day had to be a man and enter with his right foot. Some gentlemen would agree to be the "first footer" for the entire neighborhood, so everyone on the street had to hang out in the front room twiddling their thumbs until he got to them. It was customary to offer the "first footer" a drink and a snack, so he was probably rolling and sloshing drunk by the time he got to the end of the street.
Probably it directly. But it would make sense that some habits were adapted from British customs in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships