Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 07:26 PM

894 posts, read 587,015 times

Advertisements

^^^^That stupid, ignorant nurse had no business ever BEING a nurse! What a sad story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 08:01 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just this week I heard a Christian whacko refer to tampons as "Satan's cotton finger."
Now THAT'S a line to remember! LOL

Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes! I remember all off these!!!

Oh and this applied to apples too!

Thank you for reminding me. You weren't supposed to breathe around a cemetery when driving by a cemetery because you might swallow a spirit'

Oh and don't walk on a grave, because you'll get possessed!
And of course, when my mother-in-law suddenly shivered, "Someone just walked on my grave". ??? How can they walk on your grave if you're not dead? Your bought-and-paid-for cemetery plot if you have one, maybe. But not your actual grave. She wasn't the only person I ever heard saying that.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:08 PM

Since Christmas is approaching, I remembered something my best friend's Italian immigrant grandmother and her American-born mother swore: When a Christmas tree falls over in the house, someone in the family is going to die that year. They both swore that it had happened numerous times in the past. Of course, they came from a large family.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:14 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just this week I heard a Christian whacko refer to tampons as "Satan's cotton finger."
Oh I'll just bet you did.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Now THAT'S a line to remember! LOL
No it's just hate speech against Christians

Old 11-30-2016, 11:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
This thread made me chuckle.

My grandmother said that a hat on the bed is bad luck. My mom believed this as well and it has been planted into my brain, when I see a hat on a bed, it still makes me cringe.

Another one my grandmother said, never take an old broom to a new house because you will have bad luck. Funny, I always bought a new broom when I moved into a new house except once (because the broom was still fairly new and I wasn't going to waste money). That house ended up being a bad deal for us and the worst house and financial mess I had been in. Maybe the broom theory is true.

My stepmother told me when I was pregnant not to raise my hands above my head because the umbilical cord will wrap about the baby's neck and kill it in the womb.

Using tampons will break a hymen.

My friend's grandmother said when a picture or mirror that has been hanging on the wall for many years, suddenly falls off the wall, means someone will die. She believes this because her mother had a mirror on the wall for over 20 yrs and one day it fell. The grandmother died that night.

When a bird flies into a window, it is bad luck.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:25 AM

16 posts, read 14,215 times
My mom - various racist/prejudiced things:

You shouldn't make eye contact with black people because they will attack you.
Turkish people will stab you.
Don't date a Muslim because they'll force you into Islam.
Homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to adopt children because it's 'not natural'.

And on relationships... my favourites:
If a guy pressures you into sex, just do it. He just wants 'his way'.
You should stay with a toxic boyfriend because it's better than being alone.

And my dad, while I was living in his house:

You can't have your boyfriend or male friend over to stay, even if they sleep on the sofa. Your younger brother on the other hand, can have his girlfriend move into his bedroom for weeks on end and that's fine. It's different because he's a guy.

My dad on the same topic: If the neighbours see you leave the house with a guy, they'll think you're a *****.

Yeah my parents are great.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
^^^^That stupid, ignorant nurse had no business ever BEING a nurse! What a sad story.
That belief about the veil goes back centuries. They used to burn Caulbearers as witches in the Middle Ages. Some other folklore identifies them as special people with healing powers.

It was 1934. The "nurse" was likely a neighborhood lady midwife.

The people waited until the last minute it's not like she didn't have contractions ahead of time. OR

It's statistically more likely that the baby was premature. NOW they do c sections for those babies because of the high risk of birth defects from the pressure of the contractions and birth process. And the risk of asphyxiation.

And what would they have done if the" nurse" or doctor were not around.

LIfe was very different for people back then let alone during the Depression.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:32 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Since Christmas is approaching, I remembered something my best friend's Italian immigrant grandmother and her American-born mother swore: When a Christmas tree falls over in the house, someone in the family is going to die that year. They both swore that it had happened numerous times in the past. Of course, they came from a large family.
People with pets must have deaths in the family all the time, then. Those critters are always knocking over the dang tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships