Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 07:15 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

From the time I was 9-11 we lived with my grandmother because my parents got divorced. My mom was a work and my ear started to hurt bad. I told my grandmother I had an ear ache and asked her for some medicine. She told me that I didn't need any medicine. She would put honey in my ear instead and it will feel better. I looked at her like she was crazy and told her I'd wait for my mom! I always think of her whenever I see a bottle of honey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

"Starve a cold, feed a fever."
I heard the opposite - though likely neither is true!

Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
My Pop Pop also told me that when he was younger, teachers were hardly ever married. He used to say about women "Are you married or are you a teacher?"

Old 12-07-2016, 11:08 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
If you sit on the pavement you will get hemorrhoids.

Tomato soup will give you rosy cheeks.

Bread crusts will give you curly hair.

If you wear heels you will break your leg - and other paranoia-inducing beliefs.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:44 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This is a little different from what the OP is asking, but I just said thought of this saying the other day that my mom used to say when my two younger daughters where arguing with each other.

When my brother and I were younger and we used to fight and argue while being on break from school, my mom used to say "Stop fighting or I'll bring you to school". We would say "but we're on break, school is closed" and she would say " I'll bring you to school and you could wait by the doors till they open". Obviously she was kidding, but now being a parent I think it was funny she would say that!
our mother and grand mother used to say the darnest things....

1. Don't make me come in there, and boy did we stop...however, we knew we'd be spanked, and we were and we're not anywhere near the worst for it.

2. If you keep that up, I'll call the police, they'll take you away and feed you nothing but bread and water.

3. when they were going to bed, it was "Lets hit the hay". But we were a farm town.

Nice to remember them....

My sister is a real snob, and this stuff always embarrassed her....she was always extremely insecure...had to have the very best label clothes. She felt clothing told people who she was...but it didn't or doesn't.

Our parents and grand parents, may have been farm people, but, they were hard working human beings....surely not well educated but they had a whole lot more going for them then most today.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:56 AM

894 posts, read 587,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My Pop Pop also told me that when he was younger, teachers were hardly ever married. He used to say about women "Are you married or are you a teacher?"
Yep, I do recall that sometimes when I'd read old books or watch old TV shows, women would often have to give up their teaching careers upon marrying.

I even remember Andy's girlfriend Helen on the Andy Griffith Show said at one point that she'd like to marry him someday but for the time being, she really wanted to teach awhile longer.

That bugged me because I couldn't see why she couldn't be married AND teach. Then I'd have to remind myself that times were different back then for women.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:56 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
From the time I was 9-11 we lived with my grandmother because my parents got divorced. My mom was a work and my ear started to hurt bad. I told my grandmother I had an ear ache and asked her for some medicine. She told me that I didn't need any medicine. She would put honey in my ear instead and it will feel better. I looked at her like she was crazy and told her I'd wait for my mom! I always think of her whenever I see a bottle of honey!
You just reminded me of another one. My mother would blow cigarette smoke into my ear whenever I had an earache.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
My husband's grandfather would EAT Vapo rub to cure his congestion! My grandmother would always plant her garden by the Old Farmer's Almanac. I think it had something to do with the phases of the moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
He'd eat it?! Yikes! I didn't think anyone's throat, tongue, or stomach could tolerate that!

A friend of mine......her mother ate VapoRub when she was pregnant, she craved it.

Didn't seem to have hurt my friend, who is now 67, or her mother.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:28 AM

3,252 posts, read 2,338,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
our mother and grand mother used to say the darnest things....

1. Don't make me come in there, and boy did we stop...however, we knew we'd be spanked, and we were and we're not anywhere near the worst for it.

2. If you keep that up, I'll call the police, they'll take you away and feed you nothing but bread and water.

3. when they were going to bed, it was "Lets hit the hay". But we were a farm town.

Nice to remember them....

My sister is a real snob, and this stuff always embarrassed her....she was always extremely insecure...had to have the very best label clothes. She felt clothing told people who she was...but it didn't or doesn't.

Our parents and grand parents, may have been farm people, but, they were hard working human beings....surely not well educated but they had a whole lot more going for them then most today.
My family also said 'hit the hay' and none of us were farmers, hadn't been for generations. I thought it was just a southern thing.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:05 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Or a librarian. Do you remember that from It's a Wonderful Life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships