Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I think it's funny, in small doses, with the right group of people. FWIW, I hate an overabundance of "toilet" humor, which this game is rife with. I can't stand more than a few minutes of South Park, and most comedians bore me. I find a LOT of people LOVE South Park (even folks I would consider "conservative"), so I guess I'm strange too.

Do I think you're odd? Nah. Everyone has their thing, what they find funny and don't. If you were a guest in my home, I might make sure that we have other games to play that you might enjoy, or that you were still entertained while everyone else played. Honestly, sometimes I love sitting back and watching OTHER people play a game more than I actually like playing it myself.

I own A2A and still play it from time to time. I think it's still fun, because unlike CAH, the "judge" usually bases their decision off of the most clever/sensible cards, not necessarily the "funniest" like CAH. I find with CAH, you have to REALLY know the person who is judging and what they would find funny, not necessarily the "best" card. This is why I think it has to be played with the "right" group of people.
Hmm, I play the two games the same way. I have a dry sense of humor and generally look for something really literal.

I.e. The class field trip was ruined by flesh eating monsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,235,991 times
i'm not a fan of offensive things, i have to admit. i can handle some things but a whole game centered on offensiveness and trying to be as offensive as possible is just too much for me.

but i think there is far too much political correctness going around these days and far too many people offended by things that are politically incorrect. too many people getting offended at every little thing.

however, this game just takes things way too far for me in the name of fun and it's also just too juvenile for me. someone lays down a black card and then everyone else lays down white cards to finish the sentence and then someone decides which is the funniest. whoopie. it's not like you are actually coming up with your own witty responses. one white response card "kids with azz cancer". wow that's funny! i bet you can add that response to a lot of black cards to make that whole sentence funny. "a headache that is definitely cancer". another funny one. not! there is a whole set of jewish. i don't even want to imagine what is in that set. meh...if people start playing, i'm outta there, i'll sit it out. but have fun y'all!

Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,235,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And "Pixelated bukakae"?? Really?
sometimes i am too curious for my own good. i guess i'm old because i didn't know what bukakae means.

gee thanks google...

Old 12-05-2016, 10:19 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,767,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
sometimes i am too curious for my own good. i guess i'm old because i didn't know what bukakae means.

gee thanks google...
Thanks for the warning...I'm not even going there....

I've never heard of the game either, and will definitely know now not to ever be talked into playing it.

Give me a rousing game of Scrabble (I know, that makes me sound boring!). Seriously, I do like laughing, but I do not like ribald humor.

So, even though I've never played it, just from reading all the posts you can safely put me down for another vote of "No, I do not like Cards of Humanity".

Old 12-05-2016, 11:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,959,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It can be incredibly fun with the right mix of people and the right level of drunk
Exactly--this is the key to the game! I enjoy it, and when we play, it's with my kids & their spouses. And a couple of cocktails .

Old 12-06-2016, 06:07 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,761,617 times
Sounds annoying, like one of those games that is a little bit too impressed with its own cleverness. I guess I would play it in a college dorm/party scenario if it helped me get laid though.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:29 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I.e. The class field trip was ruined by flesh eating monsters.
Yea... not even a smile from me.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:07 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
We love it. I think you have to be able to laugh at phrases that are just really wrong.

When I first played it with a group of friends we had a blast. Couldn't stop laughing and played well past our bedtime. The next night we had a few more friends join in the game. They didn't 'get it' and played more seriously and were very uncomfortable. It made it completely awkward and no fun at all.

You have to play with people who can enjoy it and have fun. It isn't for everyone, that is okay!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:20 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,056,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I've always been somewhat socially awkward, but one of the things that always brings me out of my shell is playing board/card games, especially ones designed for larger groups. I truly enjoy this sort of activity and would love to do it more except I don't get a lot of opportunities to do so. And lately, it seems like whenever people do get together for games, everybody's #1 choice is Cards Against Humanity.

Words cannot describe how much I dislike this game. And yes, I fully realize how it makes me look when I'm the only one who chooses to sit out, but I simply do not feel comfortable saying some of the things that are on those cards. I'm perfectly fine with "adult humor" in small doses, but to me this is overkill and it surprises me how many people love it. I've come across dozens of really fun party games over the years but somehow this is the one people keep coming back to.

I'm just curious if there are others who dislike this game. I'm starting to think it's just me.

I'm with you. It can be fun when played with people who actually have a good and creative sense of humor. But when played with typical dopey family members, it turns into something crude and overdone. There is a lot of "laughing along" but to me it is an utter bore.

Which is why many people feel the need to drink while playing it, so the illusion of humor is present, while actual humor is absent.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,398,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post

I'm just curious if there are others who dislike this game. I'm starting to think it's just me.
I love the game. We laugh ourselves silly when we play!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships