Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:14 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think having a tattoo means a person is a little more open minded and whatever tat they choose is their own choice.
...or it can mean that he/she is just a conformist who is engaging in a behavior only because he/she sees others who are doing it. Especially with those who are in their adolescent years, there is a pack mentality that seems to dictate that everyone in the group needs to do the same thing in order to be accepted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Please share, what do you think is a silly and/or ridiculous tattoo?
I think the tattoos some people get after losing a bet, or the ones where people get a business's logo tattooed so that they get free tacos or oil changes for life or whatever are pretty stupid. It's not a bumper sticker--it's forever

Old 12-07-2016, 11:48 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,401 times
I have 2 small tattoos in places easily concealed for work. I don't really care if anyone else doesn't like them or thinks they are silly cause I didn't get them for you. I got them for me. They are meaningful things that took time for me to choose and I regret nothing about them except not getting them sooner.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:52 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Here in tattoo-rich SoCal, my friend got so sick of her friends asking about tattoos and why she didn't have one that she got one of a single dot on her big toe. So now she can say she "has one."

Old 12-07-2016, 11:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Nothing wrong with that ChiGal17 and it seems like you put some thought into where to put them so you can look professional at work. That's smart. Some people go way overboard with tats and they look terrible in the professional work place.

They are not for me and honestly I've never seen one that I thought was even remotely attractive. That doesn't mean that I don't respect any one elses decision to get one. I do believe that some though needs to be given to the future when or if you do decide to get one.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 PM

855 posts, read 624,922 times
The thought of having the word "tattoo" tattooed on me just cracked me up.

-

Old 12-07-2016, 12:09 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
To each their own. I am not a tattoo person because I cant think of anything I need/want on my body for life. And I am really annoyed by imperfections that if it wasn't perfect, I would obsess over it.

But what I tell my kids, if they ever choose to get a tattoo, follow a few guidelines
1) make sure its something you really want
2) pick an area you can cover and understand that depending on where life takes you, you might have to cover it a lot (I know a preschool teacher who had to wear pants year round at work because of a calf tattoo she got as a young adult...she lived in a very hot climate)
3) research your artist...I have even said I would pay the difference between a walk in person and a real artist if they were et on having one.
4) never get one while intoxicated

For my daughter I might remind her if she gets one on her stomach before she has kids, it might turn into a hot mess after

So stupid tats to me would be any breaking those guidelines. I have seen some TERRIBLE work, ridiculous tats...and of course facial tattoos.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:22 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
I have 2 small tattoos in places easily concealed for work. I don't really care if anyone else doesn't like them or thinks they are silly cause I didn't get them for you. I got them for me. They are meaningful things that took time for me to choose and I regret nothing about them except not getting them sooner.

^^^This. I just got my first tattoo at 42 years old. Didn't do it because anyone else was doing it or because I was seeking acceptance from anyone. I did it because I wanted it. It's small and discreet (it's on the inside of my wrist, so I could cover it if I wanted to, but frankly I rarely do). And it's meaningful to me.

It's an animal that is the nickname my family gave me and that is closely related to my real name. When my nephew was a toddler, he couldn't say "Aunt [realname]" and it came out [animal name] instead. He's 18 years old and still calls me by that animal name. He and my other niece and nephew have never referred to me by my real name. The animal name has stuck, and it will likely always be.

I'm thinking about getting another one on my other wrist in a similar style. My father referred to me by another nickname; interestingly also an animal (with an alternate spelling). We just lost dad about a month ago, so I'm considering commemorating him in that way. I like the idea of thinking of my loved ones every time I glance down.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:39 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
"Nothing up my sleeve."

Old 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,799 times
When I was in school, I knew a guy that wanted to get a tattoo of Chester Cheetah, from the Cheetos commercials. Do they even use him anymore? This was over 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships