Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 573 times

Advertisements

I want to have better social skills. Can somebody give me tips or advice. I want to be able to talk to people without all the miscommunication and misunderstandings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 09:56 AM

323 posts, read 285,295 times
Wish I could help - I'm a blabbermouth. I notice some people catch a glimpse of me and disappear quickly.

I try to follow "cues" - know when to interject an opinion or whatever. I try to be courteous. BUt I LOVE striking up random convos especially to get rid of any buildup tension. Like waiting in lines that never end...

Miscommunication and misunderstandings are a constant. Perhaps you could just come right out and ask? "Did you mean ... *this?"

Or, "let me make sure I understand" then repeat what they said.

Life is full of misquotes, misunderstandings. Expect them but don't take blame. Enjoy life and people!!

Old 12-14-2016, 09:57 AM

16,432 posts, read 12,571,885 times
Start with applicability and relevance of conversations. For example, this probably isn't a question for a Fashion and Beauty forum.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:00 AM

323 posts, read 285,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Start with applicability of conversations. For example, this probably isn't a question for a Fashion and Beauty forum.
A sign of "lack of social skills" perhaps?

Old 12-14-2016, 04:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,244,089 times
Listen to what others say, and pay attention to their body language. If you are speaking with someone for the first time, don't say so much, but listen a lot. When someone asks about you, you can get by at first with minimal information, because at first people just want to sort of pigeon hole you. They are truly not that interested in you as a person. Later when you get to know people better, you can do more sharing.

With people you already know, and whom you feel don't like you, pick up on their moods and echo their feelings. " I can understand why you feel that way. That is a real pain." You would probably use a different way of characterizing whatever it is, but you get my drift.

Listen and echo. Later you can do more.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
1) Be more interested in them than yourself. Be curious about them and their lives. Respond to what they say. Pretty soon, they'll think you're the most interesting conversationalist in the room.

2) If you engage in conversation at a party, don't cling to their leg when they're making efforts to leave. Circulate through the party. Be the first to break off the conversation, but do so gracefully.

3) Make an effort to remember people's names. They'll appreciate it more than you know.

4) Invest ten bucks in a book of etiquette. I don't mea books obsessed with where the fish fork goes on a place setting, but one that covers the fundamentals of how to function in social situations. Those are not rules they're setting down. Instead, they are principles designed to help everyone enjoy a social situation in relative comfort.

5) Find other people in the room who look as uncomfortable as you. They'll be grateful for your attention.

6) If you meeting someone and learn that they have something in common with someone else in the room, ask if they know one another. Then introduce them. They'll think you are amazing.

7) If you're a guy talking to women, look them in the eyes, not 18 inches lower. And don't treat them as if they were fertility goddesses to be worshipped. Women hate that.

8) Once you've circled the room trying to talk to people, return to the ones who were the most interesting to you. You can't be everything to everyone you know.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:13 PM

667 posts, read 1,853,537 times
A friend joined Toastmasters. This is a supportive club where members give speeches. It was amazing to see the personality change and confidence he gained. Plus, he made many many friends in the club. You can find a club near you by googling.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:20 PM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
A friend joined Toastmasters. This is a supportive club where members give speeches. It was amazing to see the personality change and confidence he gained. Plus, he made many many friends in the club. You can find a club near you by googling.
^Great suggestion.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:50 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,803,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
1) Be more interested in them than yourself. Be curious about them and their lives. Respond to what they say. Pretty soon, they'll think you're the most interesting conversationalist in the room.

2) If you engage in conversation at a party, don't cling to their leg when they're making efforts to leave. Circulate through the party. Be the first to break off the conversation, but do so gracefully.

3) Make an effort to remember people's names. They'll appreciate it more than you know.

4) Invest ten bucks in a book of etiquette. I don't mea books obsessed with where the fish fork goes on a place setting, but one that covers the fundamentals of how to function in social situations. Those are not rules they're setting down. Instead, they are principles designed to help everyone enjoy a social situation in relative comfort.

5) Find other people in the room who look as uncomfortable as you. They'll be grateful for your attention.

6) If you meeting someone and learn that they have something in common with someone else in the room, ask if they know one another. Then introduce them. They'll think you are amazing.

7) If you're a guy talking to women, look them in the eyes, not 18 inches lower. And don't treat them as if they were fertility goddesses to be worshipped. Women hate that.

8) Once you've circled the room trying to talk to people, return to the ones who were the most interesting to you. You can't be everything to everyone you know.
I have social anxiety disorder, so I have issues too. This is great advice. Also, read the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Its a classic that still applies to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships