Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 03:04 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,129,403 times

Advertisements

I was on the phone with my sister who informed me she now has 5 grand kids and wanted me to remind my son that he should be thinking about these second cousins.

What? There is no family contact between her family and mine, and now she wants me to tell my son that he needs to be keeping her kids in mind?

It took me a minute to realize that she expects her grand kids to be in my son's will. I told my son what she had said and he got it immediately that they are expecting to be in the will. I suppose from her point of view, my son isn't married and has no children and he is financially quite comfortable, so her kids should be his heirs because in her view there is no one else to leave it to.

I'm afraid that they are in for a disappointment. My son put it in much stronger terms, but I am not allowed to use those words on C-D.

I find this whole waiting to inherit to be rather odd: this hoping someone will die so you can get some money. I've known several people who have done it. Making nothing of themselves because they intend to come into money some day. Or making plans for what they will do with the money they inherit.

I've also seen several people waste their lives away, only at the end, there is no money left for them to inherit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 03:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,670,985 times
Tacky. Wow. I'm not sure what I would have said. My husband's sister was always waiting for "another inheritance." Pathetic, but how some people think. I work w/ elderly people and I think their kids might be waiting, too, some of them. But, they might wait a long time since many are in their mid 90's and still doing kicking. Lol.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Good lord. That's so ... I can't believe her gall.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:15 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,564,077 times
I'm so sorry for both you and your son Oregon. I know the disappointment you must feel in growing up with your sister, and then have her show her true colors in such a despicable way.
I hope you have Happy Holidays, and that this does not ruin that for you.
Let dead dogs lie, and just take her remarks at face value. And remember...but I hope it doesn't become between you and your sister, but is just a remembrance in the back of your mind of what she is capable of stooping to, so you know what you are facing in the future.
I think you were wise to inform your son of the conversation you and sis had.

Last edited by TerraDown; 12-23-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 03:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I was on the phone with my sister who informed me she now has 5 grand kids and wanted me to remind my son that he should be thinking about these second cousins.

What? There is no family contact between her family and mine, and now she wants me to tell my son that he needs to be keeping her kids in mind?

It took me a minute to realize that she expects her grand kids to be in my son's will. I told my son what she had said and he got it immediately that they are expecting to be in the will. I suppose from her point of view, my son isn't married and has no children and he is financially quite comfortable, so her kids should be his heirs because in her view there is no one else to leave it to.

I'm afraid that they are in for a disappointment. My son put it in much stronger terms, but I am not allowed to use those words on C-D.

I find this whole waiting to inherit to be rather odd: this hoping someone will die so you can get some money. I've known several people who have done it. Making nothing of themselves because they intend to come into money some day. Or making plans for what they will do with the money they inherit.

I've also seen several people waste their lives away, only at the end, there is no money left for them to inherit.
Man, Oh, Man is your sister wrong!

Even if the situation was slightly different, for example, your son was extremely, extremely close to one of his cousins and was the godfather of one of their children, it would still be very wrong for your sister to hint about putting that grandchild, her nephew's godchild, in his will.

Sheesh! The absolute rudeness of some people!

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-23-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 03:20 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,670,239 times
I don't think I ever knew anyone that put cousins in the will. By the way they are his first cousins once removed. They would be his children's second cousins if he ever has any.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,883,461 times
The day I met my SIL (my husband's brother's wife), she made a comment that literally made my head rolled. "I can't wait till the grandma die because we could use the money." Meaning my husband's grandmother who was a well off woman. Even stranger, it was a comment taken rather nonchalantly by everyone else in the family. I told my husband this is so bizarre, but all he could say was, Well, that's my family for you. He never ever liked her.

OP, could it be possible your sister meant to be fishing for Xmas gifts? Of course, you know your sister best. It's still too bizarre to wrap my head around, I can't understand people who are like that.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,313,171 times
Wow, what nerve. I have a niece & nephew as beneficiaries to my investments but am thinking of changing that as the only times I hear from them is when they want something. The funds will probably be gone by the time I die anyways as it's for retirement use, but...the thoughts are the same.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:32 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,775,676 times
Sheesh, now that's entitled. It is none of your sister's business what your son decides to do (or not) in his will.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:41 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,676,483 times
Wow, that is really disgusting. If your sister presses you on this, I would just cheerfully say not to count on it as your son probably has other plans. Since he has no relationship with them, no loss.

I just don't get people other than the immediate children - sons and daughters of the deceased - expecting to receive an inheritance. Even worse, some with more children expect more money. Get a clue - if you can't afford to take care of your own children and their needs, you should not have had them. It is NOT up to Grandma to foot the bill for college or gift the down payment for a house.

If there were no children, I personally have several charities I would leave money to. Good lesson for the money grubbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships