Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 7,924 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue regarding social drinking. I'm generally a night owl who lives alone in my own home. I often enjoy a few drinks before bed to help me sleep, as well as socially with family/friends at times. My "problem" is I prefer not to drink earlier, whether late afternoon after work, or early evening. Because when I do, I get home and don't feel like doing anything productive, other than lying down. Perhaps it's a tolerance issue, but after a few beers or some wine, once the alcohol wears off, I generally feel lousy. Of course I could continue to drink once I get back home, but then the night is wasted (no pun intended), and other things I need to do get ignored (I have a small online business).

Can anyone else relate to this? I'd love to do the happy hour thing more often, but I know my evenings will not be so happy if I do. Thus I usually either pass, or just drink something non-alcoholic. Of course the latter is the obvious solution, but when you were raised in a drinking culture (i.e. when family/friends get together, you have a drink), it can be frustrating.

I'm not really looking for a solution. I'm just curious if others have the same "no early drinking" regimen as me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 05:43 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,029,292 times
There are much better methods for falling asleep than drinking alcohol, which tends not to lead to a good night's sleep anyway. I think it's perfectly acceptable to opt for non-alcoholic drinks when out with friends, I know several who do. Stop worrying what everybody else is doing, and do what is right for you. And, take some melatonin at bed time.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,521,164 times
I rarely drink alcohol at all. If it's a social happy hour kind of situation, I will either get nonalcoholic or nurse a cocktail for a long time. I have never really liked the way I feel after alcohol, and I sure don't need the extra calories or expense. And, yes, it's sometimes difficult to be a non-drinker in a complete drinking culture (and my family all drinks as well). But it is what is it, and I am who I am.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:45 PM

131,173 posts, read 12,268,010 times
I won't drink before 4pm, which upsets some people if we are out to lunch etc. Do what is best for you.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:50 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,427,615 times
I don't drink. if I were you just order a club soda and lime early then continue with your normal routine. Or drink early and fell like s))t ...it seems like a no brainer.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 6,348,583 times
There were often get togethers after work when I worked. Since I refuse to drink & drive I always ordered iced tea or water with a lemon twist. It worked for me.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:43 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,810,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioHED View Post
Perhaps it's a tolerance issue, but after a few beers or some wine, once the alcohol wears off, I generally feel lousy.
Last year my boss at one of our happy hours told us that the cause of hangovers is not alcohol but low-quality alcoholic drinks that contain impurities and other ingredients. He said that very high-quality (expensive) alcoholic beverages do not produce hangovers. Needless to say, I was skeptical of this, but I'll tell you something. I've come to believe there's something in it, because this guy introduced me to some very excellent whisky and tequila, and I've had a few occasions to drink way more than I should have of these .... and it was completely true, I was basically hangover-free the next morning.

So my suggestion is: perhaps try some very expensive upper-end stuff and see how it affects you?

Quote:
I'm not really looking for a solution. I'm just curious if others have the same "no early drinking" regimen as me.
Not I. I sometimes will have a beer or a couple shots of whisky or tequila while I'm *at* work! (Not such an unusual thing here in Silicon Valley).

Old 01-23-2017, 01:42 AM

775 posts, read 780,283 times
Drink water or club soda as a side. I always have water with a glass of wine to prevent dehydration. That is what causes hangovers.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:45 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,157,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioHED View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has this issue regarding social drinking. I'm generally a night owl who lives alone in my own home. I often enjoy a few drinks before bed to help me sleep, as well as socially with family/friends at times. My "problem" is I prefer not to drink earlier, whether late afternoon after work, or early evening. Because when I do, I get home and don't feel like doing anything productive, other than lying down. Perhaps it's a tolerance issue, but after a few beers or some wine, once the alcohol wears off, I generally feel lousy. Of course I could continue to drink once I get back home, but then the night is wasted (no pun intended), and other things I need to do get ignored (I have a small online business).

Can anyone else relate to this? I'd love to do the happy hour thing more often, but I know my evenings will not be so happy if I do. Thus I usually either pass, or just drink something non-alcoholic. Of course the latter is the obvious solution, but when you were raised in a drinking culture (i.e. when family/friends get together, you have a drink), it can be frustrating.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't want to be awake when my alcohol wears off because it makes me feel depressed, dull, uninspired. A little ganja is a big help though.

And happy hours are the most common social activity there is. I've always found it less than ideal to get buzzed by 6pm, have fun till about 8pm, and then what? Food will give some short-term relief but the booze will still want to take me down.

For me, the ideal alcohol experience starts later after a proper dinner.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 AM

35,198 posts, read 31,539,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't want to be awake when my alcohol wears off because it makes me feel depressed, dull, uninspired. A little ganja is a big help though.

And happy hours are the most common social activity there is. I've always found it less than ideal to get buzzed by 6pm, have fun till about 8pm, and then what? Food will give some short-term relief but the booze will still want to take me down.

For me, the ideal alcohol experience starts later after a proper dinner.
Agreed. Unless I am going to bed by 9 or so, I avoid heavy drinking at happy hour. I prefer to drink later in the evening then go right to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships