Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

1,686 posts, read 3,962,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did you tell them you don't want to receive them? I'm just saying, it doesn't maybe sound like you were firm setting a boundary? Did you consider asking them to pick them up, simply tell them they'll be on the porch? Or say if they don't try, you will refuse delivery? Again, it just doesn't sound like you are being firm enough (not mad/yelly, but making sure they know you will not do this in the future).

In any case, if nothing changes I would refuse delivery, but again I think if you kept them you'd be asking for trouble, and to me that sounds sort of passive-aggressive. I find assertiveness to work better in the long run.

I CAN'T REFUSE DELIVERY IF I'M NOT HOME WHEN THEY'RE DELIVERED...... As I stated, I come home after work and they are sitting on my deck. I can't put them in my mail box -they're too big. If I leave them beside the mailbox they'll get run over - I live on a heavily travelled road - then I'd have to pick up the remains of the box and product strewn all over my drive and front yard.

I don't think I should be going to the neighbor and saying "oh I have packages for you - they're on the deck when you want to pick them up. The last time I was there I commented it was becoming a hassle to deliver their packages and they laughed "sorry hahaha". I have no phone # to call them - I have been more than kind delivering them to them. I shouldn't have to tell them I no longer "want" to receive their packages.

I've called both the delivery location and the company and explained their error and they both said it would be changed. I told the CSR at the company to contact the people and let them know I have a box and they can come get it. If they don't pick it up in 2-3 days, I'll mark it and take it to the Post Office. I'm done with this game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I CAN'T REFUSE DELIVERY IF I'M NOT HOME WHEN THEY'RE DELIVERED...... As I stated, I come home after work and they are sitting on my deck. I can't put them in my mail box -they're too big. If I leave them beside the mailbox they'll get run over - I live on a heavily travelled road - then I'd have to pick up the remains of the box and product strewn all over my drive and front yard.

I don't think I should be going to the neighbor and saying "oh I have packages for you - they're on the deck when you want to pick them up. The last time I was there I commented it was becoming a hassle to deliver their packages and they laughed "sorry hahaha". I have no phone # to call them - I have been more than kind delivering them to them. I shouldn't have to tell them I no longer "want" to receive their packages.

I've called both the delivery location and the company and explained their error and they both said it would be changed. I told the CSR at the company to contact the people and let them know I have a box and they can come get it. If they don't pick it up in 2-3 days, I'll mark it and take it to the Post Office. I'm done with this game.
Let us know what happens.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:39 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,560,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Sure you can. You hang a sign on your deck that reads (in large bold lettering) "USPS: Please only leave packages addressed to Mr. or Mrs. LittleLou. Packages addressed to any other name should be returned to sender."

Old 01-09-2017, 02:52 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,935,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
US Code. I'm sure your Google works just fine.
It does, but I'm not the one who claimed something is illegal yet showed no code or law.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:59 PM

16,429 posts, read 12,560,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
It does, but I'm not the one who claimed something is illegal yet showed no code or law.
18 U.S. Code § 1703

I'm not going to do all your work for you.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:27 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,749,277 times
Interesting

Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM

70 posts, read 98,934 times
Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

The OP has spelled out a pretty clear picture of what is going on. One of the boxes was confirmed to contain skin cream, and invoice inside had the correct address. The neighbors likely sell skin cream, and probably did not make much effort to correct the shipping address with the company since it wasn't really inconveniencing them and they were still getting their packages.

Yet everyone is convinced that something illegal and shady is going on, and oh man we better alert the postmaster! Watching too many crime dramas?

It's one thing to be naive to the fact that criminals do all kind of shady things. It's another to assume that everything is shady and illegal, and ignore all evidence to the contrary. In fairness, this people may have made an attempt to get the address corrected. I know there have been times when I have had to call customer service to get something corrected multiple times, and by the third time I am getting heated and practically yelling "this is the third time I have called about this."

Lastly, you can't be prosecuted for something illegal being mailed to your home that is not addressed to you and you did not accept possession of. There is no need to create some extensive paper trail, complain to everyone in the government, and document every single occurrence. Simply writing "return to sender" on the package will suffice.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,612,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If you are present when delivery is attempted, you can simply refuse to accept the delivery.

I would contact the company, inform that company you are receiving these deliveries in error, and will no longer accept them - so stop sending them.

I wouldn't bother with giving them the correct address. You have told the recipient they need to take care of the issue, and that is their responsibility to ensure it's done.
This. Stop accepting them. You can try "return to sender...wrong address" for those delivered when you're not home.

Stop accepting those packages. I can't believe you've been delivering them for this long! What if there had been drugs hidden in there? You'd have been arrested!

Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,296,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
The mail carriers where I live do not necessarily deliver packages. Some carriers only deliver mail, not packages, unless they're small. Some carriers drive trucks and park several blocks away while they deliver mail on their route on foot. If a mail carrier doesn't have a truck nearby, I don't see him them lugging packages around. I've had a mis-delivered package left on my step and even after 2 days the package remained on my steps even with big bold sharpie that it was delivered to the wrong address.
You call the post office, ask to speak to the Post Master and explain the problem. Let them do their job to pick them up. They will make the arrangements. If after a day they are still there, call again and talk tot he Post Master. If they are there the next day again, go to the USPS website and fill out a complaint.

I don't understand why people think they should be delivering packages themselves. That's just wrong, because the problem is never going to get corrected is the sender isn't informed.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,296,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Document, document, document!
Making a mountain out of a...talk to the Post Master, have them pick up the packages and return them. End of drama. Nothing else needs to be done. No certified letters, no trips to the neighbor, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships