Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:38 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times

Advertisements

Ok, my second thread complaining about some aspect of work. Caveat: I love my job and the people I work with are good people. This is by far one of the best professional experiences I've had in my career.

That said, we work in a open office environment and we are literally in each other's faces every frickin day! I mean we sit right next to each other with no cubicle "walls" separating us. Only the partners get an office and they deserve it.

We already do a lot together as a group. Birthday lunches, group happy hours and we usually all go to a Lakers or Clippers game together once a year. I have participated in all of the above.

But an overnight outing on the weekend just for the hell of it!??! WTF????? We already spend a sh*t load of time together. And as I stated in another thread: we work in close quarters and I hear people grunt, groan and chew their food loudly.

I will so PASS on this TERRIBLE idea! Luckily, it is not being spearheaded by the partners. I just hope the partners pass as well so I don't feel singled out for not going. I know the tentative date they have chosen is a clear conflict for me (as I ALREADY have travel plans!!!!!).

Has anyone been invited on an overnight "pleasure" trip with coworkers in a formal group setting? Did you go or decline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 02:02 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
UGH! No. You've been a good sport the other times. You don't need to go to weekend camp with the campers at work. What if they bunk you with the muncher?

No, you have to beg off on this. Is it voluntary? Is it the kind of deal where if one person gets to beg off, mgmt. is afraid half the people will flake, as well?

Maybe you could come down with a timely cold or flu...

Old 01-26-2017, 02:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Ok, my second thread complaining about some aspect of work. Caveat: I love my job and the people I work with are good people. This is by far one of the best professional experiences I've had in my career.

That said, we work in a open office environment and we are literally in each other's faces every frickin day! I mean we sit right next to each other with no cubicle "walls" separating us. Only the partners get an office and they deserve it.

We already do a lot together as a group. Birthday lunches, group happy hours and we usually all go to a Lakers or Clippers game together once a year. I have participated in all of the above.

But an overnight outing on the weekend just for the hell of it!??! WTF????? We already spend a sh*t load of time together. And as I stated in another thread: we work in close quarters and I hear people grunt, groan and chew their food loudly.

I will so PASS on this TERRIBLE idea! Luckily, it is not being spearheaded by the partners. I just hope the partners pass as well so I don't feel singled out for not going. I know the tentative date they have chosen is a clear conflict for me (as I ALREADY have travel plans!!!!!).

Has anyone been invited on an overnight "pleasure" trip with coworkers in a formal group setting? Did you go or decline?
I'm probably an extreme case because I'm an introvert, but I pass on most office events. If it is more fun for me to go to lunch alone or to sit at home watching reruns than it is to go to lunch or happy hour with my co-workers (and it usually is), then I will pass on those events.

I will go to lunch and happy hour ocassionally when asked and every other office holiday party/barbeque, but I'm kind of an outsider. In terms of climbing the ladder, I don't care too much.

Really, going to office events doesn't affect how much you are able to advance at work. A person who is considered boring or socially awkward and goes to all of the office events will still be considered boring and socially awkward and a person who is charismatic and gregarious and goes to zero social events will still be the one everybody wants to talk to Monday morning. At the end of the day, office events are only several hours of the year, and you spend all year together.

Maybe if you literally attend none, then it'd an issue making partner or something. But other than that, a smattering is fine.

Of course, your office could be different than mine. We have a very wide range of ages and personality types and getting everybody together for forced socialization very often just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by jobaba; 01-26-2017 at 03:04 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 06:33 AM

554 posts, read 623,180 times
Who in their right mind wants to have an overnight outing with coworkers...ugh! Just say you are not interested. I pass on outings with my coworkers all the time. I am a good employee therefore it doesn't affect our working relationship.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:09 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
What exactly is the outing? And you say it isn't being spearheaded by the partners ... are you certain that the person who is spearheading isn't doing so at the direction of the partners?

Old 01-26-2017, 07:13 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
OP: You really need to figure out how to handle your work life and personal life in a mature manner.
Complaining all the time here accomplishes nothing and so far your *the people I work with are great* statement is
not true according to your recent posts.
It is your job and your life, learn how to deal with real life/work issues for yourself and understand that *No* is a complete sentence.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What exactly is the outing? And you say it isn't being spearheaded by the partners ... are you certain that the person who is spearheading isn't doing so at the direction of the partners?
A trip to Palm Springs (driving distance). It is definitely NOT being planned or initiated by the partners. That said, the partners aren't opposed to it and might even join, if their schedule permits.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP: You really need to figure out how to handle your work life and personal life in a mature manner.
Complaining all the time here accomplishes nothing and so far your *the people I work with are great* statement is.
Two threads in 24 hours looks bad but I am not normally in this "complaining" mode. In general, I am not a complainer. Venting is my first step in resolving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP:
It is your job and your life, learn how to deal with real life/work issues for yourself and understand that *No* is a complete sentence.
I will say "no" to this plan.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
If you are accepting other social outings, think you are very safe passing on this one. I had the dreaded holiday party last weekend at work and while going was probably the wise decision being very new at the company and having opportunity to move up, I hated being there every second. But I probably earned the right to skip a few happy hours, so it was a good trade IMO.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:46 AM

351 posts, read 482,361 times
Work outings like this are good for camaraderie and gossip! What if everyone went and you didn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships