Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
god you people are so dense! i emailed her confronting the situation. Guess what? being an english professor doesn't mean you have the right to butcher the language, much less require others to. It's not what you say; it's how you say it. I sent her a sweet toned email that praised her for teaching me another definition of the word and she said "good for you for looking the word up!" and ended the email with a smiley face.
Heh. I hate to break it to you, but that reply means almost exactly the opposite of what you think it means.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 AM

72 posts, read 91,098 times
English Professor here. I've had students like you in class before. Here's my take, but it sounds like you've already made your decision:

The teacher is your audience for this piece of writing. Your teacher is also your evaluator for this piece of writing. The question I would ask all students to consider is this: What do you get from this exchange? Is there some pleasure in feeling correct, even if you're not certain that you are? Your prof has a reason for preferring the term "word choice" over "diction." She's probably taught this class before. She's probably answered this question before. She probably has a reason for preferring what she prefers. Your experience isn't unique or special. You are one student with a grumbly question. Your type is so common as to be a type.

Without seeing the usage in context, I can't comment on which term would be better. Diction, however, is much more broadly conceived than word choice. Diction includes elements like tone and syntax. Diction influences word choice. (Aristotle, not an internet search, should be your source for understanding diction.)

And BTW, if I sent a student an email response that said, "Good for you for looking the word up!" followed with a smiley face, it should most certainly be read as sarcasm. She was not, in fact, congratulating you for looking it up.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:11 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
Quote:
god you people are so dense! i emailed her confronting the situation. Guess what? being an english professor doesn't mean you have the right to butcher the language, much less require others to. It's not what you say; it's how you say it. I sent her a sweet toned email that praised her for teaching me another definition of the word and she said "good for you for looking the word up!" and ended the email with a smiley face. It's not what you say; it's how you say it. i prefer to have my say but without offending the person who has authority over me, and it can be done, unless your professor is a narcissistic ego-maniac, but i think even Trump wouldn't be offended by this situation!

She also said that i should pick another word, since the fact we are discussing the word so much means that it is prone to cause confusion, so i won't use the word "diction", but at least when i accidentally when i forget that she doesn't like the word, she would know that it isn't wrong and mark me against it.
Duuuuuuuude-She politely conceded your easily proven technical point and still told you that you are wrong in your usage. The point of a communication is not to be technically correct. It is to get your message across to the receiver. Let it goooooo...

What a stupid point to get worked up over.

(College prof of communication here, by the way)

Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
My fellow English instructors are familiar with those students who feel that regurgitating a thesaurus makes for incredible writing.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
Quote:
i sure can rectify with the dean. She could be critical with my papers, sure, but if she gives me a grade that is not according to the the grades she has given me and to the percentages on the syllabus, i could provide proof to the dean.
Good luck with that!

Old 02-10-2017, 10:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
My fellow English instructors are familiar with those students who feel that regurgitating a thesaurus makes for incredible writing.

My paper. Now with 30% more syllables!

Old 02-10-2017, 12:12 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
while editing my essay, my business writing professor (emphasis is in business, as writing is not her bread and butter - quantitative analysis is) corrected my use of the word "diction". She said "i think what you mean is 'word choice'. The word 'diction' means style of enunciation in speaking or singing.", which is correct, but "diction" also means " word choice". She wants me to write a second draft, so should i tell her that she was incorrect so i can use the word "diction" in my essays in her class from now on?
Hand her this:

Diction:

noun
style of speaking or writing as dependent upon choice of words:
good diction.
the accent, inflection, intonation, and speech-sound quality manifested by an individual speaker, usually judged in terms of prevailing standards of acceptability; enunciation.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Hand her this:

Diction:

noun
style of speaking or writing as dependent upon choice of words:
good diction.
the accent, inflection, intonation, and speech-sound quality manifested by an individual speaker, usually judged in terms of prevailing standards of acceptability; enunciation.
You've missed out on most of the discussion. It is definition #2 that is, by far, the most common usage. Even definition #1 is not strictly about word choice, but rather how the choice of words affects the overall quality of the writing in question.

And, personally, the minute a student hands a profession a set of dictionary definitions is the minute that student's class grade magically begins to plummet like a paralyzed falcon.

This is forum on relationships. Not how to screw them up.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:34 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
while editing my essay, my business writing professor (emphasis is in business, as writing is not her bread and butter - quantitative analysis is) corrected my use of the word "diction". She said "i think what you mean is 'word choice'. The word 'diction' means style of enunciation in speaking or singing.", which is correct, but "diction" also means " word choice". She wants me to write a second draft, so should i tell her that she was incorrect so i can use the word "diction" in my essays in her class from now on?

Tell her to come over and help you straighten out your "Longfellow"....if she gets it, you will know where you stand moments later. If not? Well, then maybe she shouldn't be a professor of much....

Old 02-10-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Tell her to come over and help you straighten out your "Longfellow"....if she gets it, you will know where you stand moments later. If not? Well, then maybe she shouldn't be a professor of much....
That would extend the circle of love for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.