Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:48 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
I call the person out on it for being a *****/coward **** beta.
It doesn't help that these same cowards are very much part of that same crowd that wants to correlate confrontation with negativity, or aggression.

You can be confrontational and still be sensible, reasonable, and respectful.
I agree with the above right here. A little assertiveness goes a long way. There are other choices besides passive-aggressiveness and outright aggression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:40 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
People here at work use to do that to me. Mostly the office hens. I snapped one day and told them off. Boss jumped me about it, but understood why I did it. Now, they just talk about me behind my back, which id fine. It puts them in the perfect position to kiss my rearend!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:41 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Their aim is to make you feel inferior and to goad you into losing your cool in front of others. I would just kind of laugh it off like a joke or say "why would you say that"?
I wouldn't say anything and just not socialize with that person anymore!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Behavior? Vs..attitude.

There are times I remain passive ( non involvement), and times where I aggressively ( over direct) to resolve an issue. It's wisdom that helped to know when to stand, pause, or move to resolution. All the while understanding that the person (s) , may exhibit pushback or indifference.

Zero tolerance is not indifference...it's asserting a standard. Integrity.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingthedream02 View Post
How do you handle this. Have you ever taken the person away into room by themselves and actually worked out your problems together?
I can't, because often the person won't tell me directly that she has a problem with me. If they prefer to talk to everyone else about it, instead of talking to me, I can't do much because I don't know that the problem exists.

There was a mom in my daughter's girl scout troop 2 years ago, that complained about my daughter to the Girl Scout council that my daughter misbehaved at a cookie booth sale. I never knew there was a problem, and I had been there the entire time. The mom never once took me aside and told me she had a problem with my child's behavior. Instead, she told the council that my daughter misbehaved instead of telling me. I still do believe she is a passive aggressive coward.

If you cannot talk to the person you have a problem with, you are a coward.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:47 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Say this to them "what a hurtful thing to say", especially if others are around, I bet it gets them to stop it, and it's not directly insulting them.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingthedream02 View Post
How do you deal with snide comments, insults disguised as a joke, and general undermining behaviour sometimes in front a group or sometimes alone. Outwardly acting friendly but they have a problem with you. Do you find that people just cannot express their aggression in an upfront way. When you try to talk to them they clam up and won't discuss the issue, explode with anger with an argument and try to accuse you of being aggressive.

How do you handle this. Have you ever taken the person away into room by themselves and actually worked out your problems together? Has anyone ever successfully dealt with this type of situation? Why do so many people behave like this?
It's nearly impossible to deal with. I have an Aunt with NPD and she needs to make me small for her to feel big. For me to seems stupid so she can feel smart, etc. If I had known sooner I could have headed off the 'big drama'.

Even agreeing with them doesn't work. If they want to pick at you they will find a way somehow from something that you say. Or bring something up from the past.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Say this to them "what a hurtful thing to say", especially if others are around, I bet it gets them to stop it, and it's not directly insulting them.
Maybe, maybe not. But it's a solid way to react.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Can you provide an example of one of the worst passive/aggressive comments?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2017, 08:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Virtually none of what you describe is passive-aggressive behavior. And I don't think you want people expressing their anger in an upfront way in work or social situations. Just because I don't like you doesn't mean I'm going to rage at you in front of other people. If I'm expected to maintain group cohesion, that's what I'll do even if I'd rather stab you in the thigh with my lunch spork.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...e-relationship

I was curious about your post stating that most of what the OP was complaining about was passive aggressive behavior. I found this article that seems to cover at least some of what the OP was talking about.

I also don't think any of us want to experience anger directly. The problem is that the sort of free floating anger, hostility, exists. People who disguise their hostility in barbs and humor are really hard to take. Surely you do not mean to say that people either become rageful or indirectly hostile!

I suspect that passive aggressive people do have grievances, anger or feelings of inferiority, or powerlessness. Perhaps some feel all of these things. Those feelings have to manifest in some way. The problem rests in those feelings. People who are passive aggressive need to work on themselves, to find out where their behavior comes from, or what purpose it serves.

In the meantime it is best to refuse to engage with someone with issues that manifest as passive aggression. Unless you can talk frankly to him or her, and get them to understand how hurtful their comments are. That might work. Maybe. Or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships