Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,090 times

Advertisements

Glue a smile on your face!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, the joys of living in a social world. It makes us do a lot of things we don't want to, "just to get along." There's a person in my extended friendship circle whom I no longer like. I'll call her Jeanette. We ran into her unexpectedly the other day, and after we finished talking to her, my wife told me I looked like I was sucking on a lemon during our conversation. She told me I didn't pretend to like her well enough, that I looked like I couldn't stand to be there, and that I had a duty to at least fake it a little bit, because we're in the position of encountering her often in our lives and we have to get along. I was mad. Why do I have to fake liking a person? But OK. Staying happily married is important, so I can do this. But how? How do you pretend to like someone?
It might help to know why she fell out of favor. It isn't politics or religion, is it?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
I go along to get along. I don't have to like everyone I come in contact with.

I mainly just try to be nice and don't go any further.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:59 PM

151 posts, read 193,942 times
I suggest you use as few words as possible when talking to the person and always keep it professional. Other than that, go back and watch the past three presidential and primary debates. You may pick up a few pointers there.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
You don't have to go all out and pretend that you like the person. Just smile and be civil when you encounter her, and that should be enough to keep the peace.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Learn how to be a politician

I'm not good at faking it but I can be polite. Is there a way that you can say hello and then excuse yourself when you run into this person?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It might help to know why she fell out of favor. It isn't politics or religion, is it?
No. It's the woman we used to hang out with who talks constantly about herself and doesn't even pretend to be interested in other people's lives. When she ditched a mutual friend we really like in favor of another person we can't stand, I found myself liking her even less due to having to hang around this obnoxious person as well. When she starts talking, I totally tune out and my smile disappears.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I don't pretend to like people I dislike. There's no point in it. I'm not saying be rude or nasty, but I won't go out of my way and put on a show for them.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I don't. I appreciate honesty so I give it back. But as the above poster mentioned, I'm not rude about it.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, the joys of living in a social world. It makes us do a lot of things we don't want to, "just to get along." There's a person in my extended friendship circle whom I no longer like. I'll call her Jeanette. We ran into her unexpectedly the other day, and after we finished talking to her, my wife told me I looked like I was sucking on a lemon during our conversation. She told me I didn't pretend to like her well enough, that I looked like I couldn't stand to be there, and that I had a duty to at least fake it a little bit, because we're in the position of encountering her often in our lives and we have to get along. I was mad. Why do I have to fake liking a person? But OK. Staying happily married is important, so I can do this. But how? How do you pretend to like someone?
It's not hard to offer a smile to anyone, no matter how much you might despise them. A smile isn't an affirmation or an endorsement -- it's simply a reflection of your own peace with the world. Just smile. You can chat with anyone for 3 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships