Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:32 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times

Advertisements

Ah, the joys of living in a social world. It makes us do a lot of things we don't want to, "just to get along." There's a person in my extended friendship circle whom I no longer like. I'll call her Jeanette. We ran into her unexpectedly the other day, and after we finished talking to her, my wife told me I looked like I was sucking on a lemon during our conversation. She told me I didn't pretend to like her well enough, that I looked like I couldn't stand to be there, and that I had a duty to at least fake it a little bit, because we're in the position of encountering her often in our lives and we have to get along. I was mad. Why do I have to fake liking a person? But OK. Staying happily married is important, so I can do this. But how? How do you pretend to like someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 01:35 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,344,039 times
I wouldn't pretend to like someone I don't but at times when I have to deal with someone, I would try to be polite. However, I am not going to be overly friendly with someone I don't like.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:47 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
I can be pleasant and polite with someone even if I don't like them. I'm not sure I can explain the "hows" of doing it though. I just do.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:49 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,573 times
I had to do this before we moved away. I didn't and still don't like the wife of what was my husbands best friend. I was nice because of his friendship and it would have just been an awkward mess if my true feelings were shown. I think that is an example of when it might be a good idea to pretend to like someone, but I don't know about your situation. I think there are times someone has done something horrendous and doesn't deserve civility, but its rare. Most of the time is best to be nice out of consideration for everyone. I've noticed most gatherings have someone I'm not too crazy about its best to say a brief hello and just move on.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:50 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
I'm usually really good with the poker face but sometimes my "resting biatch" face just takes over lol

If it's a social setting, I try not to engage in much conversation with them (usually keep it to "hello" and "goodbye"). There's one or 2 people in my office that I genuinely do not like. I keep it cordial and professional.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I smile a lot but don't engage. But it's hard to fake because anyone who knows me knows I'm a "heart on the sleeve" type of person.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, the joys of living in a social world. It makes us do a lot of things we don't want to, "just to get along." There's a person in my extended friendship circle whom I no longer like. I'll call her Jeanette. We ran into her unexpectedly the other day, and after we finished talking to her, my wife told me I looked like I was sucking on a lemon during our conversation. She told me I didn't pretend to like her well enough, that I looked like I couldn't stand to be there, and that I had a duty to at least fake it a little bit, because we're in the position of encountering her often in our lives and we have to get along. I was mad. Why do I have to fake liking a person? But OK. Staying happily married is important, so I can do this. But how? How do you pretend to like someone?
Don't think about it as pretending to like her. Think of it as maintaining social ties that you need in your life. Adjust your facial expression to neutral, be civil, don't prolong your encounter, smile when you say goodbye.

Don't talk about her to others. And ask your wife not to talk about your dislike with others either.

If she is not a likable person, others will likely keep her at a distance, and she might not last in your circle of friends. If you are unreasonably disliking her, perhaps you can reevaluate later.

Treat her as if she was a boss whom you don't like but must get along with. But you don't have to do things for her, as you would with an unlikable boss. This is good social discipline.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:23 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Don't think about it as pretending to like her. Think of it as maintaining social ties that you need in your life. Adjust your facial expression to neutral, be civil, don't prolong your encounter, smile when you say goodbye.

Don't talk about her to others. And ask your wife not to talk about your dislike with others either.

If she is not a likable person, others will likely keep her at a distance, and she might not last in your circle of friends. If you are unreasonably disliking her, perhaps you can reevaluate later.

Treat her as if she was a boss whom you don't like but must get along with. But you don't have to do things for her, as you would with an unlikable boss. This is good social discipline.
That is very helpful. Thanks for your suggestions. I have noticed that her friends don't join her as much either. Maybe they are having the same experiences. But I agree; we should try to get along with everyone if we can, if for no other reason that we learn the lessons of patience and kindness.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:06 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Gee, I don't pretend anything since I became a grown-up. I don't think someone should have to pretend to like someone they don't. I would find a slip away from the situation. My husband knows better than to expect me to do something against my moral code, and "pretending" is along the lines of "lying", so I don't go there.

Gosh, my spouse wouldn't make this kind of requirement. Lucky me!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:08 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Shrug... I guess I'm old school. I don't associate with people I don't like if I don't have to (ie, work or family.) I had an old friend once, and we had a falling out. I just stopped contacting them or hanging out with them. We have some mutual friends in common, so occasionally I would see them at social gatherings. This person would approach me, try to engage me in small talk, but I kept the conversations short and then would excuse myself. Eventually they got the hint and stopped trying to engage me if we happened to see each other. Now neither of us are wasting each others time.

Life is too short to complicate our lives needlessly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships