Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:40 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times

Advertisements

I had a friend about 25 years ago that I called "Three-peat Todd" because he always said everything three times.

As for re-telling stories, I know people that do it. I let them - what does it hurt to hear the story again? My grandmother (who had short-term memory loss her last couple of years) ALWAYS told the same stories time and time again, and I always sat and listened to them as though I had never heard them before. She's gone now, and I'd give anything to listen to her tell her stories again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 06:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I had a friend about 25 years ago that I called "Three-peat Todd" because he always said everything three times.

As for re-telling stories, I know people that do it. I let them - what does it hurt to hear the story again? My grandmother (who had short-term memory loss her last couple of years) ALWAYS told the same stories time and time again, and I always sat and listened to them as though I had never heard them before. She's gone now, and I'd give anything to listen to her tell her stories again...
I couldn't agree more...you're right on!!!!
I do the same....I know I'm going to be hearing the same old same old....but that's OK, I go because I care for them, I know what to expect, and to me it's not a big deal to look on with interest just like you said "as though I had never heard them before"......it gives them comfort, and that's why I'm there.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Many friends so that. I do it as well the older I get!
I have a lot of stories that for some reason I think others would like to hear. I usually will start with the caveat "Have I ever told you story about...".

Definitely happens more the older we get.

My dad would tell the same stories over and over usually i would try to show interest and listen.

As an aside there are some stories that are better with frequent retelling. Many times my mother in law would tell the same stories around the table. People would ask for them in fact.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:15 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
My father does this all the time. Part of it is his age, and part of it is that he has 5 children and numerous grandkids. He can't keep track of who heard which story.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It could be several things, narcissistic behavior, age, or just an extremely selfish and believe me, there are people all over like that, they are exhausting....years ago, there was a name for them, they were called emotional vampires b/c they literally drain you....

best not to try and figure it out....just move on...if you can....don't be a door mat for anyone or compromise your identity for someone like this....

it all depends on you, what you want, and what your willing to give.
Such an extreme reaction to someone that is just annoying! Seriously, if we all got rid of friends who had one or two annoying traits we'd neither be a friend to, nor a friend of, anyone.

I shudder to think of everyone with a spouse like this who would follow your advice - the divorce rate would soar!

Old 02-23-2017, 11:19 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,763 times
I wasn't going to stop being her friend, but I'm glad to see based on the responses that this is a more common situation than I realized. It's not just me noticing something. And others have similar experiences with people they know.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:00 PM

322 posts, read 286,493 times
Haha yeah I do have a friend that does that. Wants to call me and tell me the same stories over and over....I think she just likes to hear herself talk. I sometimes interject and say yes, I know you already told me.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:13 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
I don't have any friends that do this, though I do have some "friends of friends" that I encounter from time to time.

I know two people like this, and they are both exactly the same. They both peaked in high school, and when a big group of us get together and they happen to be there, it never fails that they tell the same stories about what happened in high school and how it was so funny, man what a blast, etc. They never have anything new to share. Both these guys are unmarried, still don't have a career, etc.

We'll all be sitting there swapping stories of our latest vacations, things our kids have done, etc... And they're just waiting for the conversation to turn to some topic where they can hurriedly interject with a high school story. Groan.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:03 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post

Normally it wouldn't. But, the friend I had would tell stories about situations that hurt her. She'd re-live the pain every time she'd tell the story. So, she'd tell her repeat, angry stories (with the outbursts included), I'd play couch therapist. Days later, she'd start telling the same ole story again, then back to playing couch therapist I go. Rinse, repeat --until I just couldn't do it anymore and I'd have to tell her to stop it. This friend is now an ex friend. She was a drama-mama.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:35 PM

894 posts, read 587,182 times
My grandma used to do this but she was elderly so it was ok.

However, my husband has a co-worker who is notorious for telling the same LONG stories constantly day in and day out for most of the 12 (yes 12) hours they work together. But he's only in his 40s. With him, we think he repeats his stories a lot due to his alcoholism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships