Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Exactly, you don't know. And unless it is somehow affecting you, its really none of your business.
Did I say I went over to her table and told her to get off her phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree with this. I have to fight my own impulse to check my phone when I'm with my grands. But my grands want to play on my phone nonstop!

I remember seeing a man and a young child in a children's museum a few years ago. He brought his child to play, which he did, and he barely watched the kid. He was totally involved in his phone. He couldn't have told you how well the kid played with others, or if the kid was being bullied, or anything else. He was simply into his phone. (Of course as grandma, I was laser locked on my grandkid! I wanted to know everything and see everything!)

I wanted to go up and offer unsolicited advice, but of course, I didn't. Unsolicited advice is never appreciated.

But you are right. The kids grow up so fast! It's too bad people miss so much by not paying attention.
I think a lot of people are going to regret one day the time they spent on their phone, life goes by quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm not as observant as I should be probably because when I go out with company I'm usually engaged with that company rather being concerned about what people outside our group are up to. I suggest the same approach all of these people who are overly concerned about cell phone usage of other groups of people sitting at other tables who aren't related to them in anyway

Even when I do glance around a venue I'm in I seldom see this widespread behavior of people completely ignoring their guest in favor of a cell phone for an extended period of time.

This is going **** some people off but it has to be said. Being irritated by someone using a cell phone while dining with you is one thing, but if you are paying too much attention on people using smartphones at another table well you are the source of your own irritation. Something that can be solved by focusing more on your own company and less on other people. How the other group decides to handle that situation is their issue. Don't make it your own.
It's an observation that's all.

Also not too smart these days to not be aware of what is going on around you in public places.

Doesn't mean you have to be constantly looking around of coure, but you shouldn't be completely oblivious either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This is going **** some people off but it has to be said. Being irritated by someone using a cell phone while dining with you is one thing, but if you are paying too much attention on people using smartphones at another table well you are the source of your own irritation. Something that can be solved by focusing more on your own company and less on other people. How the other group decides to handle that situation is their issue. Don't make it your own.
Maybe that's why I don't notice it either, I'm more interested in the person In a with. I couldn't care less what the table next to me is doing as long as they're not being obnoxious.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's an observation that's all.

Also not too smart these days to not be aware of what is going on around you in public places.

Doesn't mean you have to be constantly looking around of coure, but you shouldn't be completely oblivious either.
There is a difference between being aware of your surroundings and knowing what the next table over did during every second of their meal. Since you claimed to have watched them for more than 15 minutes, it seems like you were constantly looking at them.

I went out to dinner with my SO tonight. The only thing I could tell you about the table I was facing is that there were 6-8 people sitting there, and one of the ladies got soup for her meal. The rest of the time I was focused on the conversation I was having with my SO, not constantly looking at the other tables. If that's what you were doing, maybe it was you who was bored and not the child at the next table over.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:40 AM

So while out to lunch today at Smash Burger, I decided to be more "observant" of the tables around me. The place was packed, so I was able to observe a lot of people. Every type of demographic seemed to be there from the very young to the very old, people dining alone, people eating with one other person, couples there with their small children, groups of teenagers, etc... I saw only two people on their cell phones, both were eating alone. One was an elderly lady (probably late 60s) who was reading the news on her phone, the other was a middle aged man who was on his lunch break as he had an AT&T reflective vest on.

10-15 years ago, the elderly lady could have just as easily been reading a newspaper to catch up on the news, and no one would have batted an eye. But because she was alone and reading the news off of her phone, people are going to think she is bored or has no social skills?

On another one of these anti cell phone threads, someone posted a photo series that showed people engaged with their cell phones instead of the people around them. Except in most of the pictures, without a phone the people would most likely have been talking on their home phone, reading a newspaper or magazine, doing a crossword puzzle, etc... There have always been ways to distract us from the people around us, its just now all those distractions are together in a hand held devise. Is reading the news in a newspaper really that much better then doing it on my phone? At least with my phone I can search out a variety of different sources on a particular news story instead of just know the information one person wanted me to know.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:02 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think a lot of people are going to regret one day the time they spent on their phone, life goes by quick.
IMO, this is only true of the people who grew up in a world without the access to cellphones we have today. They can't miss what they were never aware was there.

Sundaydrive00 - let's compromise.

It's unfair to say that all millennials have an issue with cellphones, just as it's unfair to say that millennials are not the most affected. It's a world they have grown up in and it's as natural for millennials to be on their phone as it was for my generation to do other things.

My generation, mostly, had the opportunity to explore the world around them. We would be out of the house by nine each morning, stop at someone's house for lunch (no fast food, we didn't have the availability then) and only come home when the street lights came on. Communication was by landline and not at all when out and about.

The millennial generation has parents that have to worry about child abductions and have a constant need to know where their child is at all times and with whom. It's tougher to get out into the world and explore, for both the child and the parent.

That's where the cellphone and social media has helped to bridge some of the gap.

For the crowd over 40, we love having cellphones, but it's not as much a part of our lives, in general, as it is for the under 40 generation. For the younger crowd, it's a way of life. There's a generational gap and for each group, the other doesn't seem so natural.

I really like my cellphone. I use it quite a bit everyday. But we have a rule - my friends and my family - that cellphones go away when we are meeting for dinner, playing a game, socializing, etc. However, if a bit of obscure trivia happens upon us...the cellphones come out.

There is an in-between that is reasonable and reasonable people should be able to figure out what that is. It's when we encounter unreasonable behavior that we tend to react.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
My generation, mostly, had the opportunity to explore the world around them. We would be out of the house by nine each morning, stop at someone's house for lunch (no fast food, we didn't have the availability then) and only come home when the street lights came on. Communication was by landline and not at all when out and about.
And that is how I grew up, and how my siblings and a majority of my friends grew up as well. I say majority only because I don't know the details of everyone's childhood, but for those who I grew up with this would describe their childhood as well. During the summer, we spent all day at the pool (with or without adult supervision), playing kickball, or exploring the woods and creeks around our houses. We didn't even come in when the street lights came on, that was when it was time to play flashlight tag or ghost in the graveyard. Our parents had to drag us in at bedtime, otherwise we would have probably stayed out all night running around the subdivision. I doubt the thought to call my parents on a friend's landline ever crossed my mind as I was too busy playing and exploring the world.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
This thread is hilarious considering I'm a millennial, born in 1985 and while I'm on my phone a lot, you should see my mother and MIL. They both spend more time on their phones and on Facebook than most people my age and even younger do.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:39 PM

320 posts, read 234,314 times
My own adult kids are not--far from it--but I've encountered way too many in this forum who fit that description.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:41 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
This thread is hilarious considering I'm a millennial, born in 1985 and while I'm on my phone a lot, you should see my mother and MIL. They both spend more time on their phones and on Facebook than most people my age and even younger do.
My mom used to spend 1-1/2 hrs. on the phone every day with her sister. Sometimes there would be an afternoon follow-up call, for more chat.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:44 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My mom used to spend 1-1/2 hrs. on the phone every day with her sister. Sometimes there would be an afternoon follow-up call, for more chat.
True, but I'll bet they were actually "talking" on the phone, not typing on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships