Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
No I don't want to be married but I don't want to end up a old lady living alone without any one to care for me if I need it.
Maybe you should visit nursing homes to see how many children actually care for their elderly relatives. And no, just because your mother did it and you did it is no guarantee that your child will take care of you.

Whether you adopt, foster or do it naturally- children are expensive. Do you have a good job, benefits, housing, etc? Do you have a support system? Have you priced out what the child will cost- diapers, clothes, food and all the things baby needs? Since you would be a single mom, you'll need to return to work so can you afford daycare for your child?

This basic list is for a 'normal' child- what if your child is autistic or has special needs- how will you cope with that?

What are you going to say when the child asks about their father or wants to meet him? What if your 'sperm donor' decides that he wants a more active role in the child's life or maybe even full custody? You will be tied to this man forever so don't think it will just be you and the child. Think long and hard about this decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:15 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,183 times
I just thought of something- I don't know if you have access to the HBO new series "Big Little Lies" but the character played by Shalene Woodly has a son Ziggy (about 7 maybe?) who was conceived by rape and the mother won't tell the child anything about the father. There was one very poignant scene in which he yells at her "Just tell me his name!" It's actually quite disturbing. I also think grade schools are quite inconsiderate when it comes to the "new" family dynamics of today. They still have kids draw family pictures and family trees, make mothers and fathers day cards, etc- my heart is always breaking for the kids who are made to feel bad that they don't have what the other kids have- for whatever reason and I'm sure there are many reasons other than what you are considering.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 PM

540 posts, read 362,918 times
Yup. The cost of supporting a child as well as supporting yourself.....adds up very quickly.

God forbid you go through with this idea and have twins....

Old 03-27-2017, 10:05 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Sometimes this is NOT a good thing. I personally, don't think it's fair to have a baby with a man who has no idea he is being tricked into being a father especially if the woman claims she is on birth control when she really isn't just to get pregnant. And I know some of you will say the man should also be responsible for birth control but if he is told the woman is on the pill or is using a diaphragm or sponge then I think it's unfair to expect child support from him. And I am saying this as a woman.
If a man doesn't want a child, he still needs to use protection. After all, no form of birth control is 100% effective. Besides, how does he know if the woman has an STD?

And, as you pointed out --- there are women who lie and say they are using birth control.

I agree---it is a despicable thing for a woman to do. Why have a baby with a man who doesn't want a child? She can get him to pay child support but she can't force him to be a physical part of the child's life. It's a very selfish thing to do to a child.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Maybe you should visit nursing homes to see how many children actually care for their elderly relatives. .
Many people wind up in nursing homes is because their adult children are often elderly themselves, and don't have the physical or financial resources to take care of their much older parent.

I've worked in nursing homes and it's full of people in their 80s and 90s, whose children are in their 60s and 70s. It's very difficult to care for someone with Alzheimer's or a hospice patient, especially if they don't have the nursing background for it.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
No. I had a vascetomy for a reason. I don't want raise kids at all.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightsong View Post
Especially if it's a boy
I strongly disagree. Generally it is the daughters that craves the father relationship. My son can go years at a time without seeing his father, and it does not affect him. My daughter has lots of issues with wanting a dad, even though my father and brother have always been strong male role models in her life.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I have come around to thinking that it would be a good idea to decouple reproduction and childbirth from romantic relationships. It would eliminate a lot of relationship stress if those women who want children would just go out and do it and then look for relationships as a single parent afterward. For the men it would eliminate the risks of 'bait and switch' and 'oopses' that seem to happen mostly in relationships with women in their 30's.
Or men in their 30's could grow up and act like responsible, loving, dependable, selfless individuals that women would want to marry.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is very hard for some men to feel invested in a child without feeling a strong bond with the mother.

So, I'd suspect the woman in this scenario would be eventually left to be the sole parent.
Is that the issue? I just thought men don't bond to children the same way that women do.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Is that the issue? I just thought men don't bond to children the same way that women do.
My DH has bonded fully with his children, and I know other men who have.

But, I do think that bond is first initiated with love between the two people. There is strong emotion after the birth of a child that two loving people have created together.

I am not saying that a man would not learn to love a child he had fathered with someone he did not love. But I think it would be rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships