Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times

Advertisements

I am a single Mother, I have been alone from the start. He never paid one day of child support.

I had hoped that once she was born he would become attached to his child, I did everything I could to encourage it...it didn't work.

I asked him to sign over his parental rights but told him he could still see her whenever he wanted...it didn't have to be in my home...she is 10 now and he has chosen to not see her since she was 6 months old.

Now that I am past all that, I use the history of how a man treats his children to judge them...I simply couldn't date a man who didn't pay child support...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 09:32 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,584 times
Me either. How a person takes care of their child- or fails to is a good indicator of how they handle all of life's responsibilities.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:37 PM

117 posts, read 214,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I am a single Mother, I have been alone from the start. He never paid one day of child support.

I had hoped that once she was born he would become attached to his child, I did everything I could to encourage it...it didn't work.

I asked him to sign over his parental rights but told him he could still see her whenever he wanted...it didn't have to be in my home...she is 10 now and he has chosen to not see her since she was 6 months old.

Now that I am past all that, I use the history of how a man treats his children to judge them...I simply couldn't date a man who didn't pay child support...
I pay my child support but I cant pull a few thousand out of my behind to give them all the arrears. Also he is well taken care of financially as his mom makes 3 times as much as I do. Sometimes I dont even have enough money to pay my living bills due to paying the support and you would think more highly of a man who would opt to be homeless rather than maybe missing a week or two? Women surely dont want homeless men do they?

Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperX View Post
I pay my child support but I cant pull a few thousand out of my behind to give them all the arrears. Also he is well taken care of financially as his mom makes 3 times as much as I do. Sometimes I dont even have enough money to pay my living bills due to paying the support and you would think more highly of a man who would opt to be homeless rather than maybe missing a week or two? Women surely dont want homeless men do they?
I assume you knew you had a child when he was born so if you were taking care of business you would NEVER have been behind...how much she makes is not the point, its your child its your responsibility...if she didn't want the money you could have started a savings account for the child to pass on when he was older...

Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
He didnt pay at all ever? Well then I suppose he is in jail then because they dont play around with non payment. Sometimes Ive missed a few weeks due to health reasons keeping me out of work and they send me a notice to go to court that fast. Well then I just have to send them doctors papers to fend them off but everytime I missed I called and told them I would not be able to make a payment. It seems the more you make an effort and keep in touch the more they try to hang you. I know guys who owe in the 3 figures and never contact support enforcement and dsce never bothers them.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
No, I would not -- thing is, the guy that doesn't pay child support is the same guy that will lie and say he doesn't have kids, or pretend he is the perfect father!

Anyway. NO and I wish it was tatooed on their foreheads.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
He didnt pay at all ever? Well then I suppose he is in jail then because they dont play around with non payment. Sometimes Ive missed a few weeks due to health reasons keeping me out of work and they send me a notice to go to court that fast. Well then I just have to send them doctors papers to fend them off but everytime I missed I called and told them I would not be able to make a payment. It seems the more you make an effort and keep in touch the more they try to hang you. I know guys who owe in the 3 figures and never contact support enforcement and dsce never bothers them.
He never paid ever because after she was born, I asked him to sign over his parental rights, along with that goes your responsibilities to...

Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,495 times
Quote:
I suggest you get another job. It doesn't matter if your childs mother makes more you are both equally responsible for that child. Why did you fall in the arrears??

I think men that dont pay there child suport lack responsibility, maturaty and if you dont care how your child is eating how can you care about a relationship? (This is general terms, now) I mean a child is flesh of your flesh how can a man turn his cheak and not care how that child is living, eating, dressing, etc.

One thing that drew me to my husband is that he is an EXCELLENT father. He makes sure all his sons essentials are taken care of and I respect and admire him for that. If he were a dead beat dad we would have never been together. I'll also add that my boys (I have three) have an awesome dad (my ex-husband) that loves, cares and provides for them greatly.

Bottom line a dead beat dad wouldnt get ten feet by me; that is relationship wise.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
When I first divorced, my ex-husband got the kids - with my permission. This was one of the worst decisions I ever made, as it turned out. However, I did pay him child support for five years, until my daughter came back to live with me when she was 11. How did I do it? I worked two jobs! There was a period of unemployment when I didn't pay him at all, because I couldn't, but that didn't last too long. In my opinion, you should find a way to make it happen.

What used to aggravate me is that I paid income tax on that money, but it went to my ex completely tax free! I tried to never think about where that money was going, and it's a good thing, too. When my kids came to live with me, they both had underwear and socks that were almost threadbare. I was so enraged (and that wasn't the worst of what he did, believe me!). Sorry, I'm not trying to take this thread off on a tangent...

By the way, after my kids came to live with me, I put my ex in prison (long story) and even after he got out he didn't pay child support - but he couldn't see the kids, anyway, and I'd rather have all of the financial responsibility if I also have the peace of mind that he's not part of our lives, anymore. If I sound bitter, I have good reason to.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 PM

Default oh ok

Well she never lets me see my son for a long time. She may as well do the same to me. Every time I try to go down and see him she wont let me in the door and sometimes she tells me if I have a certain amount of more money then she will let me in. Ive told them that and they wont do anything about it because of me behind in it. Also the thing that delayed it the support was blood tests. I signed up for the Army and at first they wouldnt let me in because I said its a possibility I could have a child but I wasnt completely sure but they improvised and said it had to be proven by blood tests to keep me out, wouldnt let me in at first being single with a dependent but the blood test loophole got me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships