Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,852,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand this concept; I've never heard this before. Could you elaborate?
I think tidaldream means that the person is incapable of validating themselves, or self-soothing. When you have the ability to validate yourself you don't need to run every thought and experience you have by other people. Your own opinion is the most important. Someone who can't validate themselves is constantly looking for validation from other people, but of course it's never really enough, so they just keep going and going and going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,173,817 times
Completely self-absorbed. No-one else exists, no-one else really matters. I would guess s/he is also incapable of empathy. I would also guess this person is incapable of the art of conversation, one of those people who twitches while you're talking, as they're waiting to burst out with their own mediocre experience on the subject instead of reacting with shock and horror to the anecdote you're relating, about the bank robber who held you at gunpoint for an hour.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:30 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,852,052 times
Also, speaking from recent personal experience, it is best not to humor these people by listening to their incessant droning! If someone is coming to you telling you everything about themselves, constantly complaining or what have you, that person is not good at dealing with and solving their own problems and they're just looking to use other people as sounding boards or sources of empathy and sympathy. Asking for advice or a listening ear here and there is fine, but no adult should be dumping their "stuff" on other people all the time.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:40 PM

761 posts, read 607,000 times
six tips to master your internal dialog

the chopra center

Old 04-21-2017, 03:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,601,494 times
This reminds me of people who never ask their friends questions. Do you know anyone like this? They talk about themselves, but never try to draw the other person out by asking questions about the activities or thoughts of the other person.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:13 PM

102,270 posts, read 108,324,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This reminds me of people who never ask their friends questions. Do you know anyone like this? They talk about themselves, but never try to draw the other person out by asking questions about the activities or thoughts of the other person.
My brother spends an hour and a half droning on about himself, then gets up and leaves, saying, "Hey, it was really great to catch up on news with you! Great to see you!" He genuinely thinks he's learned what I've been up to, when in fact I haven't had a chance to get a word in edgewise the whole time. This is alarmingly delusional. It spooked me the first time it happened, after I hadn't seen him in many years.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:29 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,529,809 times
I thought you were talking about my ex-husband... but he hasn't worked in 15 years, so it's not him.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,502,841 times
I find the way a person conveys a scenario to be fascinating! It's their story.
Some folks prefer the "recap-minimized" version.

Contingent on priority of current tasks...The listening can be less attentive.

But if it's a one way conversation..Then often I've already left the conversation in my mind.

Has the person been broached on "make it quick' I gotta task to complete. Or give them a pad and pen and suggest they journal it. Give them alternate ways to express...

Old 04-21-2017, 10:15 PM

3,260 posts, read 2,355,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I hate that and it seems like so many people are that way! They don't even care about the other people around them!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,517,246 times
I think some people can't process internally, and they process aloud. I find people who do this are sometimes the same people who ask rhetorical (for the rest of us) questions or talk their way through issues while everyone else has to wait and listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships