Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
We have done favors for the daughter "because" of her parents. We don't actually like her.
So is this the real issue, that you don't like your friends' daughter? Maybe she doesn't realize you dislike her, and considers you good friends of her parents. Seems like someone I would consider sharing good news with, especially since you have shared holidays together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:15 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
I have never heard of a "graduation card", is this a common thing in the US? Damn, I feel I missed out there when I graduated a couple of years ago
Joking aside - you don't really know your friend's grandson well... I would just send a "congratulations card" back, with a little personal message. If you really feel that you must give something, $25 is fine. I know I would have enjoyed a gift card, no matter the value!
A graduation card is simply a congratulations card that is specific to the event.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 04-26-2017, 01:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
I think it's bizarre to throw away money to someone you do not know just to 'save face'.

And $25 is not a small sum of money. There are so many better things to spend $25 on.

As an aside, I do not see how high school graduation is particularly important. Anyone with an average IQ and even lower than average can graduate from high school. It's not an achievement.

The law specifies that young people of a certain age must attend school. (they can drop out legally at a certain age) Graduation is considered a 'rite of passage' and is way overdone. And for parents, graduation from high school often means that their child will be going out into the world and/or perhaps attending college, thereby no longer living full-time in the parents' home.

It's been tradition, but I don't really think it's particularly an important tradition nor one particularly worth keeping - especially the seeking of money from strangers or distant acquaintances or the most casual of acquaintances by the graduating young people and their parents.

Just because you receive a graduation announcement in the mail from someone by no means that you need to send money.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-26-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
As an aside, I do not see how high school graduation is particularly important. Anyone with an average IQ and even lower than average can graduate from high school. It's not an achievement.

The law specifies that young people of a certain age must attend school. (they can drop out legally at a certain age) Graduation is considered a 'rite of passage' and is way overdone. And for parents, graduation from high school often means that their child will be going out into the world and/or perhaps attending college, thereby no longer living full-time in the parents' home.

It's been tradition, but I don't really think it's particularly an important tradition nor one particularly worth keeping - especially the seeking money from strangers or distant acquaintances or the most casual of acquaintances part by the graduating young people and their parents.

While I agree that some people make way too big of a deal about their child graduating high school, the OP is talking about a college graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships