Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,345,218 times

Advertisements

There's a person at work that has a need, almost like a compulsion, to tell others almost everything about their life... their health issues, personal situations, etc. This is not only with co-workers but with anyone this person comes and in contact with and starts a conversation that lasts more than 5 or 10 minutes. Why do you think there is such a need to open themselves completely out like that. They may not even be aware that they are doing it. Would you mention it to them or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:40 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,913,790 times
Have they suffered a recent major personal loss, as in the death of a loved one in whose care they were involved? If so, it is not uncommon to feel compelled to tell the story over and over as a means of coming to terms with the tragedy. It sounds as if your coworker talks mostly about worrisome current personal problems. Do they have anyone else with whom they can talk? Friends, counselor, clergy, family members? If not, guess who's left? Those encountered in the workplace.

If your company offers counseling, your coworker might benefit by it. Otherwise, try to be compassionate and talk with them non-judgmentally during a break or lunch period. Let them tell their story - then let them know you are sorry they are hurting and ask what they're doing to cope with the pain. If nothing is the reply, then suggest talking with appropriate others. You might comment somewhere along the line that it must be hard to have to work while dealing with so much pain and worry about the workplace, just to gently remind them that there needs to be a division between the professional and the private.

What does your supervisor have to say about this? If your coworker's work performance is being adversely affected, perhaps the supervisor should bring up this conversation rather than you.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM

709 posts, read 579,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
There's a person at work that has a need, almost like a compulsion, to tell others almost everything about their life... their health issues, personal situations, etc. This is not only with co-workers but with anyone this person comes and in contact with and starts a conversation that lasts more than 5 or 10 minutes. Why do you think there is such a need to open themselves completely out like that. They may not even be aware that they are doing it. Would you mention it to them or not?
I had an employee just like that....what a pain. I felt like shooting myself! While she WAS dependable and chipper, I told her she was distracting everyone, and bless her heart, she just couldn't help herself. One day I had enough and when she walked in to work, I let her go stating that she didn't comply with her 3 reprimands. UGH, What a PIA she was!

Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Have they suffered a recent major personal loss, as in the death of a loved one in whose care they were involved? If so, it is not uncommon to feel compelled to tell the story over and over as a means of coming to terms with the tragedy. It sounds as if your coworker talks mostly about worrisome current personal problems. Do they have anyone else with whom they can talk? Friends, counselor, clergy, family members? If not, guess who's left? Those encountered in the workplace.

If your company offers counseling, your coworker might benefit by it. Otherwise, try to be compassionate and talk with them non-judgmentally during a break or lunch period. Let them tell their story - then let them know you are sorry they are hurting and ask what they're doing to cope with the pain. If nothing is the reply, then suggest talking with appropriate others. You might comment somewhere along the line that it must be hard to have to work while dealing with so much pain and worry about the workplace, just to gently remind them that there needs to be a division between the professional and the private.

What does your supervisor have to say about this? If your coworker's work performance is being adversely affected, perhaps the supervisor should bring up this conversation rather than you.
From this person's conversations, I don't think there is anyone in their family that's very supportive. On the contrary, we hear about all the difficulties. So yes, it is like anyone that is willing to listen will get "the full story." This can be a co-worker or someone that they have just recently met. Sometimes, it seems like they are indirectly looking for sympathy from anyone that's interested in listening.

The person is a very good worker, so the supervisor has not complained.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM

11,809 posts, read 12,049,858 times
I sit 8 feet away from one of those types here at work. I alternate between wanting to stab myself, or her. Every thought that crosses her mind comes out of her mouth and she knows it but doesn't care. Other than emails from management to remind people to keep their voices down, no idea how to also tell them to keep their mouth shut.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:19 PM

761 posts, read 605,621 times
Do you think people like this are not in touch with their internal self..therefore they make friends with their own constant chatter?

...or maybe she drinks waaaaay too much coffee.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Do you think people like this are not in touch with their internal self..therefore they make friends with their own constant chatter?

...or maybe she drinks waaaaay too much coffee.
Hmm..... you know that could be....

Old 04-21-2017, 02:13 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,536,927 times
Narcissism. And there's not much you can do about it.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:18 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
OP, it IS a compulsion. Sometimes it's due to narcissism, sometimes it's due to a tremendous personal loss or trauma, like the death of a loved one, as someone else mentioned. Either way, it's a form of mental illness. The person isn't able to control themselves.

Since this has the potential to waste the time of the workers around this person, the supervisor should be on it, and should tell the employee to stop slacking and distracting others. The workplace is for work, not socializing. If the business doesn't care whether its employees work or not during company time, there's not much you can do, except tell the person you have work to do, and you can't stop to talk. Repeat as needed. If several co-workers have the same complaint, you could consider banding together and approaching the supervisor about it.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
I don't understand this concept; I've never heard this before. Could you elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships