Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 02:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,837,427 times

Advertisements

How well do you know the family? For some people dining out and paying for 3 meals is a big expense and means forgoing other expenses for the week or month and adding an additional person is difficult. And if I was the mother and didn't know OP very well and/or it's a new relationship and OP might not be around a month from now I wouldn't want to spend the money either. I also agree that the mother probably didn't invite the girlfriend, the boyfriend probably asked if she could come and mother felt guilty and said yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 02:45 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,876,771 times
OP
what are the economic circumstances of your boyfriend, or his family- if poor- I could see them not being able to afford to pay for you (in which case then your BF should have offered)- or they can afford it, then they are just being cheap.

And actually I know poor families (I don't know how else to word it) that would just go to a more affordable place, rather than not include someone (and them pay for it), thats the sense of hospitality that they have...

Old 05-01-2017, 02:56 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,652,986 times
Why can't your boyfriend pay for your dinner since he is the one who actually invited you?

Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,531,830 times
I don't know. It sounds like it was originally supposed to be a family dinner- with the parents and the two children. You probably were invited because your boyfriend asked to bring you. I would decline this invitation and let the parents have this time alone with their children. There'll be other times when you can get together as a group, right? I assume the other sibling isn't bringing a date to this dinner.

Regardless of who invited who, if you decide to go, I think that your boyfriend should pay for your dinner as well as his own.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 7,950 times
I'll just mention here that we have been together for three years! It's a pretty long time, but I honestly don't think I have ever eaten out with his whole family at a restaurant before haha. The only thing I can remember was about a year ago; my boyfriend, our friend and I met his mom and her friends at their restaurant so we could all go home together, and she bought us a dessert to share. We are also 18/19 years old and I am in college (to understand our financial situation) and we are at each others houses almost every day. I am not super close with his mom but like I said, I'm at there house at LEAST 2 days a week so we know each other well, and talk and interact quite a bit.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:02 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,390,041 times
Here is how I'm imagining this happened. BF asked his parents if you could join them. Mom/Dad said sure, but she has to pay for herself.

How to interpret that--Mom/Dad didn't really want you to join them for a family celebration.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,222,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I guarantee you that this is a dinner meant for only BF, his sibling, and Mom. Mom is taking her kids out to dinner and wants to catch up with them.

IMO, it sounds like the BF issued the invitation. And my guess is, he did it without his mom's knowledge and it would be a surprise to Mom if OP showed up for dinner.

I agree, it sounds like OP is not genuinely expected by anyone (but maybe the BF) to attend. I think the BF had good intentions but is just a little bit clueless.
When I was single, I never accepted a dinner invitation to a family dinner unless the parent actually invited me themselves.

No matter what the BF says I bet that Mom either does not know that you are coming or her son sort of insisted that you come and Mom would rather that you did not come to the family dinner.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,666,402 times
Why would expect his parents to pay for your meal? Yes they're paying for their children, but you're not one of their children. It sounds like it is really a family dinner and your boyfriend asked if you could tag along. What's the big deal about paying for your own meal anyway?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,231,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why would expect his parents to pay for your meal? Yes they're paying for their children, but you're not one of their children. It sounds like it is really a family dinner and your boyfriend asked if you could tag along. What's the big deal about paying for your own meal anyway?
You don't think that would be awkward for all involved?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,507,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynerd View Post
I'll just mention here that we have been together for three years! It's a pretty long time, but I honestly don't think I have ever eaten out with his whole family at a restaurant before haha. The only thing I can remember was about a year ago; my boyfriend, our friend and I met his mom and her friends at their restaurant so we could all go home together, and she bought us a dessert to share. We are also 18/19 years old and I am in college (to understand our financial situation) and we are at each others houses almost every day. I am not super close with his mom but like I said, I'm at there house at LEAST 2 days a week so we know each other well, and talk and interact quite a bit.
If you are over there that often and the mother didn't make a point to invite you herself, then this is correct:

Quote:
I don't know. It sounds like it was originally supposed to be a family dinner- with the parents and the two children. You probably were invited because your boyfriend asked to bring you. I would decline this invitation and let the parents have this time alone with their children. There'll be other times when you can get together as a group, right? I assume the other sibling isn't bringing a date to this dinner.

Regardless of who invited who, if you decide to go, I think that your boyfriend should pay for your dinner as well as his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships