Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 05:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynerd View Post
It's not that I just expect her to pay for my meal, but it's the fact that usually when you are invited to go out with a friend/boyfriend/girlfriend and their parents, the majority of the time the parent's just pay for everyone. Also,I was invited to go, so naturally I kind of thought she would be paying; and it's also kind of awkward because she will be paying for everyone there except for me. I do not have an issue paying for my own food it's just the fact that it seems like she doesn't want me there and this was a passive aggressive way of saying "I don't really want to, but I guess."
We've been together for three years and we never go out to eat for special occasions with his family, so it can be kinda hurtful when practically the one time you are invited, it's basically just "yah she can tag along if she pays for herself." Why am I not worth it haha, I just want to feel included! :P
I don't think you are being overly sensitive. I think you are probably right, unless they are just weird about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 05:40 PM

509 posts, read 485,352 times
If she is at the dinner, I bet the parents pay for her regardless of what the bf said. Most parents know basic manners even if their loutish sons don't.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,877,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynerd View Post
It's not that I just expect her to pay for my meal, but it's the fact that usually when you are invited to go out with a friend/boyfriend/girlfriend and their parents, the majority of the time the parent's just pay for everyone. Also,I was invited to go, so naturally I kind of thought she would be paying; and it's also kind of awkward because she will be paying for everyone there except for me. I do not have an issue paying for my own food it's just the fact that it seems like she doesn't want me there and this was a passive aggressive way of saying "I don't really want to, but I guess."
We've been together for three years and we never go out to eat for special occasions with his family, so it can be kinda hurtful when practically the one time you are invited, it's basically just "yah she can tag along if she pays for herself." Why am I not worth it haha, I just want to feel included! :P
Honestly your BF should get the side eye. Upon reading the OP, I thought "Is the BF a kid?" It doesn't matter what YOUR parents does or what you think other parents do majority of the time. You should know the family's dynamic by now. Your BF should stop being a kid and start paying his way (along with yours since he invited you).

Old 05-01-2017, 06:05 PM

9 posts, read 7,935 times
I actually ended up declining and not going. If she would rather me not be there then that's fine I won't force myself. I plan on asking my boyfriend more about how exactly her inviting me occurred, like did he ask if I could come or did she bring it up first. I won't take it too personally for now! I will remain cautious and ask some more questions before drawing further conclusions (:
Thanks for all the opinions and advice guys, made me realize that I was overthinking it a bit but I have a right to be kind of confused by it.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:15 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
Maybe it's time to reconsider this guy? Any guy who asks his serious GF to come to a family dinner and asks her to pay is either a cheapskate, a douche or person who does not know how to be a gentleman.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:43 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Maybe it's time to reconsider this guy? Any guy who asks his serious GF to come to a family dinner and asks her to pay is either a cheapskate, a douche or person who does not know how to be a gentleman.
I think the same thing.

It's time to look at dating other people. This guy has issues.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I think the same thing.

It's time to look at dating other people. This guy has issues.
I agree

Old 05-01-2017, 06:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, it's rude. But no matter what your BF said, you obviously were not seriously invited - he said nothing until you mentioned it.
^^^^^

This is worth repeating.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Hmm. Well, I don't know that I would expect Mom to pay for my meal. I think it would depend on how long you've been dating, and how often you spend time with his family.

What I would expect is that my BF would step up and pay for his own and your meal. Mom can spring for her own and sibling's meal.
Yep, that's called MANNING UP. And he failed. Oh well. If I was evil I'd say you should bring out a sandwich or sushi-to-go out of your purse and lay it out and chow down.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:06 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
IDK, feels kind of weird that they invite you but you have to pay for your own when everyone else is going to be covered.

I'd probably just try and let it go and don't take it personally some people are just weird about money. If they are springing for everyone what is one more, but again, whatever just let it go.

Not sure if you really wanna die on that hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships