Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,755,424 times

Advertisements

The best I heard was when our local TV station had a link to cover funeral costs for a young man.

The dude was blown away by the police officer who interrupted him in the middle of a burglary. He was told to drop the knife and got shot when he failed to follow the command.

The Gofundme page only stated something like, please help us bury our dear son who passed away unexpectedly at an early age.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:43 PM

775 posts, read 778,522 times
Someone asked for contributions so she could go to a political convention for Donald Trump. Seriously? She is a heavy smoker and drinker, so could parcel off some of those expenses for her rally. But I did donate to an ill friend and someone's vet bill. If possible I send a check so the family gets it all. If I don't get a thank you, it's over.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:00 PM

13,412 posts, read 28,782,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Maybe they donated $1 for the chance to comment
You can comment with out donating

Old 05-13-2017, 01:01 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,976,376 times
I think life insurance should be required by law. But then again the cost of funerals would go sky high. It amazes me how many go fund me request are for funerals.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:58 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,181,693 times
I don't know why I should give someone money for a wedding. No one points a gun to your head and forces you to have a very expensive wedding. What the hell makes someone so entitled that they need to have a big event with all the trimmings?! Some people just go to the justice of the peace, or have a very small affair with just a handful of people.

If you can't afford to have a large wedding with your own money (or the collective money of both parties), then don't have one. If you don't like that, go ***** yourself.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-14-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,313,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I agree about being careful and making sure the account is legitimate and the person who set it up is someone that is trustworthy. There have been numerous scams. I don't agree that even an honest person would keep some of the funds. I would not dream of keeping anything if I set up a fund for a friend or family member.
I'm sorry, I just saw this. I should have explained my post better. The go fund me accts charges a fee I meant to say not the honest person who starts it.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:50 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You can comment with out donating

True, but the GoFund starter can delete it.

the GoFund starters don't annoy me as much as the people who will donate on some of the examples here (like good earners asking for a honeymoon fund and so on).

I don't understand what happens to kickstarter funds if they are not used for the project listed. (I haven't had that bad luck, each project was completed).

I prefer modestneeds.org if I want to share the cash I earn to "worthy" people.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
I see at least 1 new request on Facebook every day. One head scratcher involved a principal at a local high school that passed away fairly suddenly from cancer. Horrible circumstance and I feel for the family on an emotional level, but a GoFundMe was established to pay for funeral expenses. This if for a man that made $100k+ salary and I'm sure had life insurance through the school system. Most basic employer policies are at least 1x's base salary if not more that's provided at no cost. And you can buy up at many more multiples for minimal cost. And that's assuming he had no coverage outside of his employer.

It's just weird that people's first response is "Oh no, that's terrible. Let's give them money!" How did people pay funeral homes before GoFundMe?
I saw a story on the news how a 60 year old man was killed on the freeway in a freak accident when a tire came off a car and went through his windsheild.

Very sad, but he was an RN at the same hospital for 30 years, here in CA I would imagine he was making close or over six figures. The story ended with the family set up a GFM page for funeral expenses.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,455,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I saw a story on the news how a 60 year old man was killed on the freeway in a freak accident when a tire came off a car and went through his windsheild.

Very sad, but he was an RN at the same hospital for 30 years, here in CA I would imagine he was making close or over six figures. The story ended with the family set up a GFM page for funeral expenses.
You would think he would have had decent life insurance that would have easily paid for this funeral. That's a circumstance in which I would not give.

To me, an appropriate need for funeral expenses would be a newborn baby who dies, or a young child that didn't have life insurance (like the Gerber plans)

Old 06-23-2017, 08:08 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,219,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You would think he would have had decent life insurance that would have easily paid for this funeral. That's a circumstance in which I would not give.

To me, an appropriate need for funeral expenses would be a newborn baby who dies, or a young child that didn't have life insurance (like the Gerber plans)
I always expect that most well educated people with professional jobs have at least enough life insurance to cover the funeral expenses. Often, it is a perk connected to their job.

Heck, I have been retired from my career job for eight years and I still have life insurance (paid by my employer) in an amount sufficient to pay for a nice funeral, fly my relatives in from around the country and buy a headstone. (Note, this policy quickly decreases in value in the two years after I turn 65 so I have a back-up policy of my own. No GoFundMe for me).

Of course, not everyone has a job where life insurance is included but I still wonder when I see GoFundMe requests for funerals for a top executive or other highly paid professional. Now, for a child or young adult or someone unemployed or with a low income job it is a completely different story.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-23-2017 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships