Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:14 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,984,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Forget the title and as per OP he means people that can't speak English that move to English speaking countries I believe and not anything to do with English people that don't speak.

And no I know only a few shy/quiet/reserved people that can still hold a conversation very well

And yes drinks in a pub usually help anyone move from a mute to a loud mouth!
That would be true, but as a rule, English people don't generally start a conversation with you if you are at a bus stop or sat beside each other. It has to be very coordinated, and there has to be a valid reason to have a dialogue.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:28 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,325,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
That would be true, but as a rule, English people don't generally start a conversation with you if you are at a bus stop or sat beside each other. It has to be very coordinated, and there has to be a valid reason to have a dialogue.
Haha - Scottish people ALWAYS start a conversation with you, at the bus stop, sat beside you at the doctor's, walking down by the seaside, passing each other in front of the shop. It's like it would be rude not to acknowledge someone next to you, or something. I like it.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:30 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,984,791 times
I know, I'm from a similar country and I find it strange here in England the way they interact. It's a bit odd to be frank.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:46 PM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
How do I communicate with them?and why do some of them come to a dominate english country and not wanna learn our language?I'm sorry its really frustrating
Most come here because despite all of our issues America is still a beacon of hope and the opportunity to carve out a decent middle class life.

In terms of the language, yeah it's hard, just trying talking to any tech support staff, I wanna drive hot shards of glass through my eyeballs when I'm done.

I get it. I also get that a good chunk of these people are trying to learn the language, not all do but I believe that enough are making a good faith effort on that front.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:48 PM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So you're really saying that if you're in a restaurant and a family at another table is speaking their native language to each other (but can converse with the server in English,) it's offensive to you?
I've heard that sentiment expressed a lot over the years, some people get really hot about other languages being spoken. Sorta odd to me, but whatever.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:54 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,452,186 times
Quote:
How do I communicate with them?and why do some of them come to a dominate english country and not wanna learn our language?I'm sorry its really frustrating
YOU don't even speak/write English properly! I found what you wrote very difficult to understand. Perhaps you should take a remedial English course at your local community college?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:14 PM

15,599 posts, read 15,727,502 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's really too vague to give you a good answer. It depends on whether you're talking about your building janitor, your co-worker, your neighbor, or what.

If you're talking about Hispanic immigrants, they don't have as much incentive to learn English.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:17 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,930,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
It was rude of them to speak Spanish in an open kitchen situation. Otherwise, if the BOH wasn't open to the kitchen and everybody there spoke the same language, that's another story.

The point is that it was rude of them to speak Spanish when there are those within earshot who don't speak the language. It's very disrespectful when the manager is around as they could well be insulting the manager without his knowing.
Is it disrespectful to speak sign language when others are around as they could well be insulting someone?

Is it disrespectful to speak a spoken language when deaf people are around as they could well be insulting someone?

Is it disrespectful to send electronic messages when others are around as they could well be insulting someone?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:35 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,065,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
What you said

You made no caveats about where anyone is or what the predominant language is.

You said your family lived in a Spanish speaking territory. Did your family not speak in public during that time?
Do you limit your travels to places where you're conversant in the predominant language?

I'm conversant in a few languages.
There's nothing rude about speaking any language. There's nothing rude about speaking them at any time that I want.
I'm not obliged to express myself in a manner that any other person sees fit.

Someone hired her to do that job, that person must have felt she was capable of doing it.
Who are you to decide otherwise?

Of course it was - regardless of what language it was done in.
Why is it "funny" that I didn't comment on that?
Why did I have to make any "caveats" about where anyone is or what the predominant language is"? I explained the setting where it was rude to speak another language already.

We spoke English when having private conversations out in public. However, I would never speak English if I was surrounded by only non-English speaking people. I had a great-aunt who didn't speak English and I always spoke Spanish to her, which pleased her. If I couldn't make my point articulately enough, I would ask a fully bilingual person for help.

So, obviously, I don't limit my travels Never did I say that.

It is rude to speak a different language language when one is at a work setting and all around them are speaking the dominant language of the country.

As for the cashier---she obviously wasn't fluent enough in English to do her job and shouldn't have been hired. As I said before, and will repeat myself again---I never would have applied to a cashier job if I wasn't fully fluent in Spanish. It would have been fraudulent to present myself as being so when applying for a job. Nor would I have expected to have been hired. When the so-called manager came over, they continued conversing about my situation in Spanish, which was rude.

Have I explained it all sufficiently to you? BTW, Spanish is my father's first language. He thinks "para Espanol, oprime dos" has no place in this country and won't use that option ever.

What was "funny"? I am wondering what you found odd about that expression It was noticeable that you avoided dealing with it--that's what. Do you agree that in that situation the BOH crew shouldn't have been speaking Spanish in an open kitchen---especially when they knew that the manager didn't speak it? And, yes, I do know that the manager didn't speak Spanish.

Is anybody stopping you from speaking another language when you are outside walking down the street? If so, when did that happen to you?

However, I'll conclude that it is rude to speak another language in the settings that I mentioned. I think you understand that very well. Now, I'm done explaining.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:39 PM

22,515 posts, read 12,065,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So you're really saying that if you're in a restaurant and a family at another table is speaking their native language to each other (but can converse with the server in English,) it's offensive to you?
I never said that. Please don't twist my words. Do you really pay that much attention to what others are saying to each other at nearby tables in restaurants? I don't do so. I already explained when it is rude to speak another language. Please read my posts.

Do you agree that the best way for an adult to learn a second language is to immerse themselves in that language? That involves surrounding oneself with only those who speak the language that one is trying to learn. I wished that I had had a chance to be fully immersed in Spanish when living outside the US Mainland. No doubt I would have ended up being far more fluent.

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 05-21-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships