Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,638,384 times

Advertisements

Well, since the engagement thread was so fun, here we go again! This is actually a different relative who I'm not close to and who I maybe see once a year or less. It's not that I actively dislike him, but he's a bit younger than me so we didn't grow up together, we have nothing in common, and he's not someone who I'd ever associate with if we weren't related. But anyhoo, my mom texted me to inform me that his girlfriend gave birth. I knew she was pregnant and all, but like I said, I don't personally talk to them so it's not like I was on the edge of my seat waiting for news about the baby's arrival. But my mom always insists on telling me news about her side of the family even though she knows I rarely associate with them, and I just keep in touch with the ones who I care to keep in contact with via social media.

So my mom texts me and tells me that his girlfriend just gave birth but she doesn't have any pics to send me yet, and I reply "Cool, I don't want any pics." Now I know that I could just play nice, let my mom send me the pics, say "oh how cute," and then just delete them. But I'm just annoyed at the fact that she thinks I care. She sent me pics of another relative's child yesterday when I've already told her several times that if I wanted to see pictures of this relative, I would just follow her on Instagram. It's like she doesn't get the fact that if I haven't seen the pictures it's because I don't want to see them, so I don't want her forcing me to look at the pictures via text. If she was texting me pictures of cute cats, that would be a different story, but I just don't get excited about babies and kids. I'm sure I'll eventually see the new baby at a family function at some point, but I can wait until then.

Am I in the wrong here?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:53 PM

676 posts, read 727,713 times
You sound very self centered.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
Yes.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
You sound very self centered.
But seriously, why do I have to care though? I mean it's great that she had a healthy baby without any complications but aside from that, why do I have to be interested? Yes, I would pretend to be interested if my relative was texting me about his new baby, but I don't even talk to him like I said.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
You don't have to care. You don't have to respond. And you don't have to make an issue out of it.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You don't have to care. You don't have to respond. And you don't have to make an issue out of it.
Ok. I understand that my mom loves her extended relatives and she likes to keep in contact with people, but my dad and I are much less sociable. When things happen on his side of the family, I don't have to hear about it and I'd just like it to be that way with her side of the family too, but I'm always getting a constant stream of news from her.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Yes. She didn't ask you to drop everything and run to the hospital. She simply informed you. Say "thanks for letting me know" and go on with your day. It's not a big deal.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
But seriously, why do I have to care though? I mean it's great that she had a healthy baby without any complications but aside from that, why do I have to be interested? Yes, I would pretend to be interested if my relative was texting me about his new baby, but I don't even talk to him like I said.
No one said you have to be interested. People tell me lots of things I'm not particularly interested in. Should I start a thread about it every time?

Old 05-25-2017, 05:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well, since the engagement thread was so fun, here we go again! This is actually a different relative who I'm not close to and who I maybe see once a year or less. It's not that I actively dislike him, but he's a bit younger than me so we didn't grow up together, we have nothing in common, and he's not someone who I'd ever associate with if we weren't related. But anyhoo, my mom texted me to inform me that his girlfriend gave birth. I knew she was pregnant and all, but like I said, I don't personally talk to them so it's not like I was on the edge of my seat waiting for news about the baby's arrival. But my mom always insists on telling me news about her side of the family even though she knows I rarely associate with them, and I just keep in touch with the ones who I care to keep in contact with via social media.

So my mom texts me and tells me that his girlfriend just gave birth but she doesn't have any pics to send me yet, and I reply "Cool, I don't want any pics." Now I know that I could just play nice, let my mom send me the pics, say "oh how cute," and then just delete them. But I'm just annoyed at the fact that she thinks I care. She sent me pics of another relative's child yesterday when I've already told her several times that if I wanted to see pictures of this relative, I would just follow her on Instagram. It's like she doesn't get the fact that if I haven't seen the pictures it's because I don't want to see them, so I don't want her forcing me to look at the pictures via text. If she was texting me pictures of cute cats, that would be a different story, but I just don't get excited about babies and kids. I'm sure I'll eventually see the new baby at a family function at some point, but I can wait until then.

Am I in the wrong here?
Between this and your engagement thread you clearly resent anyone who has any joy in their life.

What's next, "My neighbor bought a new car, I don't like the color and won't get in it".

Old 05-25-2017, 05:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 days ago)

35,707 posts, read 18,065,864 times
OP, this is getting kind of odd.

How would it hurt you to at least pretend - for 5 seconds - to be happy for the good fortunes of your extended family? All this would take is, "Oh how cute look how bright his eyes are". How does it add to your life to spend so much energy thinking about how you really don't care about your family? Or at least even your mom's feelings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships