Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 AM

12,809 posts, read 15,098,918 times

Advertisements

I don't drink/dance so I don't care to go do bars/clubs. I don't like going w/ friends to movies really because you're basically just sitting in front of a large TV & not conversing.

When I go out w/ friends, the only places I could think of are the mall to walk around & talk & also have lunch. I want places that you can REALLY TALK w/ people & not have any kind of loud commotion, etc. Here's other possibilities:

the gym - if they give free guest passes & you don't mind sweating a little
the park - I guess that's OK

Where do YOU meet friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 10:49 AM

4,879 posts, read 4,239,225 times
Restaurants, craft shows, art shows, theme/amusement parks, zoos, museums.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:33 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
If you really want to settle in for a good gab session, a solid visit, go to a teahouse. They usually serve appetizer-type food for noshing while you chat, and/or soups/salads/sandwiches. Relaxing with a good pot of tea is a great way to spend part of an afternoon catching up on news, and bonding. Really, that's pretty much what teahouses were invented for, way back in the day of trade caravans and big public markets.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,768,984 times
I think walking and talking is a great way to really talk to someone. Or driving and talking. A quiet restaurant will also work, or doing any shared activity, such as cooking or working on a project.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:39 PM

6,586 posts, read 8,457,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't drink/dance so I don't care to go do bars/clubs. I don't like going w/ friends to movies really because you're basically just sitting in front of a large TV & not conversing.

When I go out w/ friends, the only places I could think of are the mall to walk around & talk & also have lunch. I want places that you can REALLY TALK w/ people & not have any kind of loud commotion, etc. Here's other possibilities:

the gym - if they give free guest passes & you don't mind sweating a little
the park - I guess that's OK

Where do YOU meet friends?
My place or their place.

Or

At a restaurant that is typically not super busy, and they don't mind if we take up a table for a few hours. Of course, we tip the waiter generously since they can't turn over the table.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 PM

68 posts, read 63,330 times
We cycle or hike up with friends. Often meeting for a cup of coffee afterwards

Old 05-31-2017, 12:56 PM

99,966 posts, read 4,509,567 times
There are plenty of cafes and coffeehouses in nearly every city and town these days. Perfect place to sit
and chat. They are pretty quiet as most people are sitting there enjoying the free Wifi.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:45 PM

663 posts, read 1,728,682 times
I don't drink and only about half of my friends drink. When we meet up to do things we usually start out at a coffee shop and go from there. Dinner is a thing we usually do. Sometimes we'll go to a bar for pool or ping pong. There are a few arcades around us we'll go to every now and then. Sometimes we'll watch a movie either in a theater or someone's house. We do a lot of game nights where we'll play things like Cards Against Humanity or Settlers of Catan at someone's house or at the coffee shop. I also meet a group of people weekly for sand volleyball at a local park. EDIT: I forgot bowling. It's not my favorite thing but it's something to do while hanging out with friends.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:38 PM

12,809 posts, read 15,098,918 times
Yes, a restaurant along w/ the mall is pretty much all I do w/ friends.

Bowling's OK...kinda noisy.
Museums are nice if there are any around & it's the type of exhibits you both like.
Amusement parks...good if you can pay the high admission price.
County fairs...good when they're in town.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:09 PM

20,777 posts, read 20,071,460 times
at home 80% of the time.

Cheap, undisturbed and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships