Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 10:17 AM

22,754 posts, read 19,394,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
It's hella funny how most people "wouldn't associate themselves with non-tippers." It's not a big enough deal to cut friendships or end relationships. If that's the case, then why not do other things besides going out to eat...

I actually had a friend who stole a tip from a waiter. Now THAT'S A TIME to cut a friendship. I was out with two of my buds at a local Wingstop, where leaving tips isn't usually customary. Well, these people behind us decided to leave a tip on their table and they walked out. As us three were walking out, i headed back to the restaurant to use the bathroom and I saw him take the top money from their table. I was extremely shocked because he's one of my responsible friends.

I leave the customary 15 percent tip unless the service was really good and if the help was "trying to form a bond," then ill leave more. I'm not a big tipper but i don't look down on people who tip less than i do and i certainly don't cut friendships over people who do not tip. That's quite silly to me.
If someone acts out in public in ways that humiliate or insult or embarrass others (not tipping puts someone in that category) then i choose not to be part of it.

If it's someone I can't avoid completely like a family member that wants to go out for a meal I arrange ahead of time something like "you get the meal i'll cover the tip" or "let me get dinner you can pay for the theatre"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 11:08 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,312,965 times
How they tip isn't some trivial thing in a vacuum, it's indicative of how people treat other people, particularly people they often perceive to be "lesser" than they are. And it's unlikely that someone who is a lousy tipper is otherwise courteous and respectful to people they believe they are better than. So yes, it would be a character trait that would make me question whether that was a person I wanted to be friends with.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:22 AM

11,141 posts, read 6,728,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Interesting. You would base a friendship on something as trivial as how much they tip What if you both disagree on the quality of service? What if you originally planned on going out for fast food and your friend was short on cash? Or what if your former friend had atrocious math skills like I do? I've tipped a large percentage before, but I would never leave a 100% tip. I can't believe restaurants can still legally pay their employees $2.13/hour anyway. What other industry expects the customer to overtly pay the employees their salary, and it's insulting if we don't?

You may not believe it, but it's true still today, in the more "red" states, like TX or UT. I worked in both and that was the pay.

I agree, it IS a unique and crazy industry, but until it gets changed, that's how it is.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:18 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,061,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Tablets are far cheaper than employees! And let's be honest, taking an order isn't exactly rocket science.
No, and neither is describing (and per the chef, pushing) dishes/specials, knowing the wine list and cocktail program (including pairings), keeping the pace of a meal with an eye towards the next seating, etc. But servers do this as well.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:50 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What you call 'annoying' many others consider 'attentive', and expected.
I disagree. Attentive would be observing the table to see if we appeared to be at a point where we needed water, or another drink, or were finishing a course.

Randomly popping up tableside and interrupting our conversation and our meal every three or four minutes just to cheerily ask, "Is everything ok here?" is annoying. Once or twice I wouldn't mind.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:07 PM

31,339 posts, read 14,383,032 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svWjtDhGQFg

Old 06-11-2017, 03:34 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,497,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Talk about ridiculous.

So you are fine with a restaurant dictating to the customer whether or not they are ALLOWED to show monetary appreciation to someone providing them personal service? That they are literally placing a cap on the value of their employee's services that is never to be breached under any circumstances?

This is somehow more acceptable to you than actually tipping according to the value that each individual diner receives? Sad.
I pay for my food. The employer pays his employees. Why is it our job to pay the employees?
Remember, in places that do not have tip jars and tips in general, nothing's stopping you from tipping a McDonald's or Walmart employee, so it's not like they were being denied the extra tip in the first place.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:37 PM

22,537 posts, read 12,108,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I pay for my food. The employer pays his employees. Why is it our job to pay the employees?
Remember, in places that do not have tip jars and tips in general, nothing's stopping you from tipping a McDonald's or Walmart employee, so it's not like they were being denied the extra tip in the first place.
If there was no tipping in restaurants, then the cost of your meal would increase by at least 20%. Either way you are paying the servers.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:24 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,352,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Exactly!

I do believe a really efficient, friendly server/delivery person, etc. deserves a decent tip and I guide myself accordingly. But I don't do it to supplement low wages. It's my way of saying "Great job, thanks!" Whatever wage a worker earns is between them and their employer - NOT between the worker and the customer. I don't know why that's so hard for some people to comprehend.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:22 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,497,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If there was no tipping in restaurants, then the cost of your meal would increase by at least 20%. Either way you are paying the servers.
With all this tipping, I either go to places that do not require a tip, or I just eat at home. Anecdotal, but I've met a few others throughout who shared this view. Either way, they're getting less business from us, so it's still costing them.

Also, funny how places that don't expect you to tip... Walmart, McDonalds, retail stores, office jobs, etc... haven't had any "20% offsets" as you've claimed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships