Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 08:36 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,966 times

Advertisements

The rest of my family doesn't seem to intrude too much why I haven't brought him around yet. My boyfriend and I started out as friends then gradually, over a year now, we have grown closer and began dating. Actually, he doesn't seem all that interested in meeting my family. I met his parents several times and they seem to like me. I see us being together long-term, marriage is a possibility.

I really don't care either way, I'm not overly close to my family and rather keep my distance from them for reasons I feel are valid. I know for a fact if I brought him to meet the family, my mom would ask him lots of questions about his personal life, just to be nosey, same with my dad asking about his financial situation like how much money he makes.

My boyfriend & I are introverts preferring our quiet time alone together or spending time with our close friends. We don't want people asking a bunch of questions about ourselves like a job interview.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 11:53 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,156,011 times
It would only be fair if your parents meet the person who spends time with their daughter. You did meet his parents, several times, and I am sure they asked you a few questions. Don't be embarrassed of a Natural, New part of your life. You are the one who may potentially bring "new blood" into the clan, by way of getting pregnant and having a child. All your other relatives are not your parents, so do not compare apples to oranges.

It may sound corny, your parents request, but it is a valid request. Wouldn't you want to know who your daughter is intimate with? Asking him questions now, big deal, didn't your boyfriends parents ask you some personal questions? It is normal, don't get bent on it, give your parents a break. Children are parents biggest assets, irreplaceable. No one but you picks who they want to be with, and if it is your boyfriend, so be it. Your boyfriend should ask to meet your parents, really . It is a respectful show of character and maturity wanting to meet the parents.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
It would only be fair if your parents meet the person who spends time with their daughter. You did meet his parents, several times, and I am sure they asked you a few questions. Don't be embarrassed of a Natural, New part of your life. You are the one who may potentially bring "new blood" into the clan, by way of getting pregnant and having a child. All your other relatives are not your parents, so do not compare apples to oranges.

It may sound corny, your parents request, but it is a valid request. Wouldn't you want to know who your daughter is intimate with? Asking him questions now, big deal, didn't your boyfriends parents ask you some personal questions? It is normal, don't get bent on it, give your parents a break. Children are parents biggest assets, irreplaceable. No one but you picks who they want to be with, and if it is your boyfriend, so be it. Your boyfriend should ask to meet your parents, really . It is a respectful show of character and maturity wanting to meet the parents.
Good points. He doesn't seem at all interested in meeting my folks. I mentioned it to him several times, not lately though. I told him we wouldn't need to stay long knowing his busy schedule. Yeah, his parents asked questions and I didn't feel they were being overly nosey.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:45 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
Grandkids. You could address their concerns with what they need to know, or make up some story about trauma to reproductive organs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships