Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:47 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,361,809 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine's birthday was last Saturday. They had a big party and I was invited to bring a friend.
So I call a good (female) friend, mentioned the birthday party and all; she met my friend once, and the others, thought they were cool, no sweat. Anyway, my friend had no plans (she claimed) for that Saturday night - so I said, "How about you come with me to (name of person's) birthday party?"
I get the "I don't know"s, the "We'll see"s, the "Maybe"s, so I withdrew the offer and went by myself.

My friend got upset, hurt, yelled at me for going - she wanted me to come all the way to her house to hear whether she was coming with me or not! I said, "Sorry, but I live by a rule: Anything other than a solid "Yes" is a "No" - that even includes Maybe's, We'll see's, etc." She wanted me to come to her house the day of the party, when she lives in the total opposite direction, when I could just go to the party itself - only for her to give some bull**** excuse as to why she won't go? (i.e. My back hurts, my legs hurt, I'm tired, whatever.)

So was I too harsh in passing her up, because I was tired of hearing the same old lame excuses over and over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 09:53 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,158,114 times
Sometimes you get tired of dealing with BS. I get it.

But you also don't have to make a stand about your manhood every time you interact with a woman, with speeches about "rules you live by," etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPDl5JWASrQ

Next time just say, "That's really out of my way, And it doesn't sound like you're feeling it? I'll just head to the party by myself. Thanks anyway."

Old 07-06-2017, 09:55 PM

426 posts, read 353,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
A friend of mine's birthday was last Saturday. They had a big party and I was invited to bring a friend.
So I call a good (female) friend, mentioned the birthday party and all; she met my friend once, and the others, thought they were cool, no sweat. Anyway, my friend had no plans (she claimed) for that Saturday night - so I said, "How about you come with me to (name of person's) birthday party?"
I get the "I don't know"s, the "We'll see"s, the "Maybe"s, so I withdrew the offer and went by myself.

My friend got upset, hurt, yelled at me for going - she wanted me to come all the way to her house to hear whether she was coming with me or not! I said, "Sorry, but I live by a rule: Anything other than a solid "Yes" is a "No" - that even includes Maybe's, We'll see's, etc." She wanted me to come to her house the day of the party, when she lives in the total opposite direction, when I could just go to the party itself - only for her to give some bull**** excuse as to why she won't go? (i.e. My back hurts, my legs hurt, I'm tired, whatever.)

So was I too harsh in passing her up, because I was tired of hearing the same old lame excuses over and over?
No not at all, you didn't do anything wrong. You are absolutely right a maybe or we'll see leans more towards a no. If she flakes on you at times I wouldn't belive her word either unless she said yes that she will go for sure.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:57 PM

741 posts, read 592,520 times
Nope, not harsh at all. Sounds like you're done playing her games. Good for you. Now keep it up. She'll either straighten out her act, or stop being your friend because you're no longer putting up with her crap. If she drops you as a friend you'll have more room in your life for people who respect your time and actually want your company.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:55 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,429,936 times
Quote:

Is she incapable of picking up the phone? Same to you--you could have called her the morning of the event, to ask if she'd decided either way.

Why would she expect you to show up in person, just to ask her a question? High maintenance, much?

Old 07-06-2017, 11:16 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,361,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is she incapable of picking up the phone? Same to you--you could have called her the morning of the event, to ask if she'd decided either way.

Why would she expect you to show up in person, just to ask her a question? High maintenance, much?
I did call her. On the very day. And her response was, "I'll let you know when you get here." To which I asked emphatically, "Yes or no?" And the answer was "I'm not really sure...." That response did it - I skipped her place and just went alone.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:21 PM

7,071 posts, read 6,344,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Sometimes you get tired of dealing with BS. I get it.

But you also don't have to make a stand about your manhood every time you interact with a woman, with speeches about "rules you live by," etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPDl5JWASrQ

Next time just say, "That's really out of my way, And it doesn't sound like you're feeling it? I'll just head to the party by myself. Thanks anyway."
How often have I thought of the thing I should have said - the next day.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:38 AM

26,705 posts, read 41,851,890 times
Quote:

I think you were very proactive in shutting down a flake. I'd probably do the same thing.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:57 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,014,598 times
Nope...not at all.Some people need to learn to speak their minds and make an honest decision NOT at the last minute.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 AM

14 posts, read 9,842 times
You did the right thing definitely. What kind of person wants to treat you like that anyway? I think she's bang out of line with her manipulative behaviour.

But like another commenter said, you don't need to be aggressive in your response to her. A simple "you're being weird" to her would have given her the message that she needs to grow up and quit behaving like a sullen child.

A lot of red flags with this girl. Time to consider your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships