Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,051,896 times

Advertisements

Do what is best for you. If you suffer more by cutting contact, keep it on a low level and tell yourself, she is just the way she is and doesn't know any better. Try not to take anything she says personal. I know this is incredibly hard.

If you feel better not hearing/seeing her ever again, cut her out of your life. I recommend this but everyone is different.

I am sorry you have to go through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,081,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
My mom has been nothing but negative to me from a young age- telling me I'm fat, nothing special, that I should just accept it. Thing is, I was never fat. And an honors student, have a great job. We reconnected after years and I shared some really personal emotions with her, I was feeling down. She told me if I felt that down, I should just kill myself and get it over with. I know she's my mom... but do I just say goodbye for good at this point? It was so hard to open up. Then on top of it, she told me I would only stick around for money. Which is not me, and horribly insulting.
In your heart you already know the right answer and you are just here for confirmation. It seems you have confirmation that your best action for a happy and healthy life is to cut contact and not deal with "this toxic person" ever again. Of course this all means nothing if you somehow feel you deserve to be treated like crap, maybe as penance for something?

My brother in law has done this with his mother as have I and I'm waiting for my wife to completely cut contact with "mom", she's almost there and rarely talks to her. Much happier around our house!

Just because someone birthed you does not give them license to do/say whatever they wish without recourse. If you wouldn't tolerate this from a friend then why in the world would you tolerate it from someone who's "supposed" to be even more concerned with your welfare/well being?

Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,384,204 times
Quote:
My mom has been nothing but negative to me from a young age- telling me I'm fat, nothing special, that I should just accept it. Thing is, I was never fat. And an honors student, have a great job. We reconnected after years and I shared some really personal emotions with her, I was feeling down. She told me if I felt that down, I should just kill myself and get it over with. I know she's my mom... but do I just say goodbye for good at this point? It was so hard to open up. Then on top of it, she told me I would only stick around for money. Which is not me, and horribly insulting.

I'd be done. But that's me. I probably wouldn't even say goodbye---I'd just cut off all communication.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:43 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,677,364 times
Quote:
I'd drop her like a hot potato! No need to divorce her. Just stop talking to her or having any contact with her.

Who tells someone to kill them self? That's CRAZY! Save yourself from her. She's not going to save you. Only you can. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,865,567 times
My mom treated me like crap for 31yr before i finally said enough. My advice? RUN

Old 07-06-2017, 01:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,818,175 times
Quote:
You're lucky, I put up with it till the day she died and still I am unfulfilled. RUN AWAY FROM HER NOW! RUN! GO! RUN. oh and NEVER LOOK BACK.

If she wants to talk to you, set the rules and if she violates them say "Goodbye" wave and never go back, you will be happier...

Old 07-06-2017, 02:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,157,334 times
Bye Felicia!

Old 07-06-2017, 03:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 886,922 times
Quote:
To be honest with you, you should not be associating with anyone who thinks it's okay to tell you to kill yourself. That's never an okay thing to say. Forget whatever "social norm" you're trying to live up to and do what's best for you.

Do you have close friends or a significant other that you are comfortable opening up to in the same way?

Old 07-06-2017, 03:54 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,274,980 times
Jesus, she is NOT a "mom"! Is that even a question???

Go no more contact, no goodbye, no sayonara, NADA... for life.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:02 PM

25,669 posts, read 17,421,494 times
Quote:
This worked:
Develop a picture in your mind. Picture your mother as being only 3 inches tall. When she enters your mind and starts with her crap take your thumb and forefinger, pick her up by the back of the neck and carry her (kicking and screaming) over to an imaginary well and drop her in.
The picture will be in your mind, the action with the thumb and forefinger will be real.

No one ever noticed my little act. In the beginning I did it almost continuously, but gradually my tormentor found it more and more difficult to climb out of the well, so I did it less and less. Finally, the SOB stayed in his well.

Try it. Go through the little pantomime and see if you do not feel a sense of power over her.
And stop calling her "Mom". Use her first name when you speak of her.
Later, you may want to write her a final letter (it was years for me) and use her first name in the letter. She does not deserve the title, Mom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships