Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,133,354 times

Advertisements

I'm a member of one of the groups but I noticed a lot of people sign up for these groups and you never see them . They never bother to come out to the meetup . I am beginning to think that people use the meetup group as a status symbol so to speak , like they do facebook a lot .I mean the particular group I am in has 86 members but only 3 people come out ? I mean why bother joining one of the groups if you are not going to attend ? does that not seem down right rude ? Do they not consider that it takes time to plan these things ? I mean how do people make friends if you never go to these things ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Is it that they never attend, or some people attend inconsistently, while there's a small core of regulars, and others that simply never get around to attending? BTW, are Meetups free, or is there a small fee per meeting, or does it vary tremendously from one group to another?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is it that they never attend, or some people attend inconsistently, while there's a small core of regulars, and others that simply never get around to attending? BTW, are Meetups free, or is there a small fee per meeting, or does it vary tremendously from one group to another?

no it is the fact that they never attend and 3 including myself consistently attend . The one that I'm a member of is free . There are some that charge though I do know .

Old 07-07-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
no it is the fact that they never attend and 3 including myself consistently attend . The one that I'm a member of is free . There are some that charge though I do know .
I don't know why so many would sign up, but not show, though I've heard it's not unusual for a small group of serious participants to have trouble getting a group off the ground for this reason. I think some people sign up, thinking it would be a great activity, but when the time comes to actually attend, other things may get in the way.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:31 AM

16,430 posts, read 12,564,125 times
How on earth would it be a status symbol? That doesn't make sense to me. I've joined groups, and short of me telling them, no one would know what groups I joined. But why would I tell anyone if I joined a group I never participate in?

I've joined a number of Meetup groups that I've never actually taken part in. Often it's because the group is private, so I have to join if I want to learn anything about their activities.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:34 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,029,312 times
I am guilty of this.

I am a member of many groups. Signed up during a weak, lonely, motivated moment. Then I got busy with other stuff and forgot about it. Get those stupid emails all the time and the meetup page itself is really stupid to navigate and a pain in the butt. Really not userfriendly. So I am mad every time I get an email but don't sign on to figure out how to delete.

And why leave a group if I may want to join an event sometime in the future? Nobody gets hurt if I am a member and just never show up. It is not like I am pretending to attend to a specific event and then just flake out.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am guilty of this.

I am a member of many groups. Signed up during a weak, lonely, motivated moment. Then I got busy with other stuff and forgot about it. Get those stupid emails all the time and the meetup page itself is really stupid to navigate and a pain in the butt. Really not userfriendly. So I am mad every time I get an email but don't sign on to figure out how to delete.

And why leave a group if I may want to join an event sometime in the future? Nobody gets hurt if I am a member and just never show up. It is not like I am pretending to attend to a specific event and then just flake out.

But there are those who do but I get what you are saying ....flake out I mean oh yeah I'm coming and then you make a spot for them say at a dinner and they don't show up . well the restaurant does not make the money the server misses out on money , can you see what I'm saying ? I was planning to help with a dinner and co organize if needed , but there was no interest so we said forget it . I find that to be rude don't you ? if you say you are going to be somewhere dont you think you should be there short of an emergency ?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:07 PM

88,734 posts, read 85,100,154 times
I didn't know people did things like dinner through meetup. I was thinking "who cares?" when I saw the OP's complaint. But for something like a dinner, it would matter.

I joined a couple of writers groups through meetup. Nobody wrings their hands if someone doesn't come to the library, lol. I thought that's what it was, not a social gathering site, but place where you find groups having a common purpose or interest. Who knew. I found out about meetup because my niece found a cycling group that way when she moved to a new area.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't know people did things like dinner through meetup. I was thinking "who cares?" when I saw the OP's complaint. But for something like a dinner, it would matter.

I joined a couple of writers groups through meetup. Nobody wrings their hands if someone doesn't come to the library, lol. I thought that's what it was, not a social gathering site, but place where you find groups having a common purpose or interest. Who knew. I found out about meetup because my niece found a cycling group that way when she moved to a new area.
There are a lot of Meetups that are about sampling restaurants, or meeting for drinks, so places, and a number of tables, need to be reserved.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:42 PM

16,430 posts, read 12,564,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
But there are those who do but I get what you are saying ....flake out I mean oh yeah I'm coming and then you make a spot for them say at a dinner and they don't show up . well the restaurant does not make the money the server misses out on money , can you see what I'm saying ? I was planning to help with a dinner and co organize if needed , but there was no interest so we said forget it . I find that to be rude don't you ? if you say you are going to be somewhere dont you think you should be there short of an emergency ?
I'm confused. If there was no interest, then no one said they were going to be there. What's rude? Simply being a member of the group is not saying that you will attend all the events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships