Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:32 AM

60 posts, read 94,218 times

Advertisements

Thank You, everyone for the helpful replies. That is why I like this forum. Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Are you upset due to the behavior of the police during their investigation of the gunshot complaint, or because they won't follow up on what you consider possible harassment from your neighbor?
I am upset for all of the above reasons. The police were very aggressive, treating me like a criminal in my own home and with disrespect. I was especially dismayed to be confined to a corner of my home. Then, they refused to listen to my request that I wanted the matter investigated because I felt it was a malicious accusation. The police felt that my neighbour, as a firefighter, has greater credibility than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Wow. I think that I'd go talk to an attorney, not to confront your neighbor or the police but to discuss your options.

This sounds like a scary situation given the things that are happening today....and obviously this neighbor is willing to put you into a
very compromising situation....and has it in for you. I'd move.
My neighbour has now moved. I believe this may have been his parting gift..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'd definitely talk to a lawyer about your options regarding your neighbor harassing you. This is no way to live and they shouldn't get away with it. Your neighbor's harassment could have left you dead if you made on bad move while the police were present.
You are entirely right, the police did have their guns in their hands and could have killed me. I had that in the back of my mind the entire time, and I do live alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Any local media watchdogs in town to whom you can report?

I love the cops in general but their behavior here was over the line.
I am really not sure who I could report this to but I do feel there is an element of ethnic discrimination in the way they treated me. They acted like they could not understand my English, even though I have good English fluency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
What is kind of interesting to me in this situation is the search... What police was searching, did they go through your private things (did they search for a gun? a gun itself is not an evidence of it being fired), or just generally looked through the area to verify no one is killed/wounded, there's no smell in the air/ holes in the wall?

Could you allow them entry, yet not authorize any searches through your things? Could you verbally prohibit the entry, yet left the door open (to prevent the damage to it)?
I am not sure what they were looking for since I was confined to a corner of my home. I asked if I could look with them and one police officer raised his voice at me, threatening to take me out in cuffs if I looked with them. That was really the most traumatising aspect of this entire incident, being shouted at, intimidated and violated.

I did ask them to be respectful of my home and belongings but they entered with force, and left my home in a mess. They said I was required to let them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Exigent circumstances.
They wrote that in their police report, exigent circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
NOT exigent circumstances. It would only be exigent circumstances if the POLICE heard a gunshot. Or a scream.
They did not hear any gunshot. The report even notes they attained this information from the neighbour.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
I agree with the poster who suggested to CYA with video/audio evidence.

Many counties have neighborhood dispute mediatior that can help with issues such as noise complaints, harrassment, parking problems, code enforcement issues, etc ...The mediation dept is usually associated with & located at the courthouse & they may have some good advice & they will intervene if needed.

You can also file a complaint with the PD Internal Affairs Dept. I was given this advice once after an illegal search & seizure that resulted in my being arrested & booked into jail without option for bond (despite having zero previous offenses). Initially I was very skeptical. I mean; the IA cops are "the cops"; how is that unbiased?

I was wrong & it ended up being the best legal advice ever. And yes; it did come from an attorney. They are "the cops" (detectives, actually) but it's their job to minimize bad press & lawsuits & they were very professional. Once an IA report has been filed it remains as an "open" investigation & any form of police contact that is associated with your name or address is picked up by IA. Cops know this & it is a deterrent to "playing games"; they don't want to be called in unless they were there on legit buisness.

In my case, my arresting officer was found guilty of misconduct. The IA detectives were even able to locate & retrieve some of my property that was never turned in either to evidence or with my personal property at the jail ... because he had taken it HOME !

I do agree that they responded in the approved manner for a call of "shots fired". They can't just take your word for it when there could be an injured person inside your house that is being held against their will. I'm sure this happens frequently with DV calls: "Nope, wasn't me! I'm here alone ..." & then they find someone cowering in a closet who was too afraid to make a peep. If YOU were that person you would want to know that they wouldn't just take someone's word for it!

The issue that you do have a right to be concerned about is that your neighbor may be using his position & contacts to harrass you with city resources & thats an abuse of his status. as well as a drain on resources that are needed elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:52 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Your neighbor has moved so this is unlikely to reoccur. Drop it.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
I think I'd told them to produce a search warrant or to leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
The neighbor has since moved???

How long ago was this incident?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
This is known as "swatting", and is illegal, I would find a place to file a complaint, both against your neighbor and the PD

Lots of police are bullies and thugs, they know the badge lets them get away with treating you like this. Again I would complain, both to local media outlets and to the PD internal affairs, they had no right and suspect reason to harass you like this. I absolutely fear my dogs getting shot in a situation just like yours.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Your neighbor has moved so this is unlikely to reoccur. Drop it.
They can just keep calling anonymously but I agree that they will most likely stop as they will only get away with a couple of times before the police catch on.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Their behavior was spot on! They got a report on gun fire, they had to investigate. They politely knocked (could be SWAT-style break-in). They searched. They left the house. What would you want police do if there is a shooting next door and you report it?
Exactly. Based on the report, they could have forced entry under exigent circumstances. If you feel the firefighter made a false complaint against you, I am sure the FD has an internal complaint process.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
NOT exigent circumstances. It would only be exigent circumstances if the POLICE heard a gunshot. Or a scream.
Completely false statement.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:32 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Legal Definition of 'Exigent Circumstances'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships